Old 04-30-2010, 12:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 257/246/110

Height: 5'3"

Question The Gym

Hello I'm kinda new to going to the gym I joined with my sis and a friend and they both quit couldn't keep up with the payments and they got tired quick. I heard someone say that they go to the gym for 2 hrs a day so being all competitive everytime I go I stay there 2 hrs also lol I was wondering is that too much for me since I've only gone about 8 times this month?I'm going to start going everyday once summer comes....thank you.
cherry7211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Personally, I think that 2 hours in the gym in one day is quite a long while. I would recommend going into the gym with a plan. Accomplish the plan regardless of the amount of time it takes. What do you do while in the gym? Do you have a workout plan that you are currently using? In general, I would think that an hour in a day is plenty sufficient.

Edit: Also, I would suggest consistency over time. Going 3 or 4 times a week for 30 minutes is better than going once a week for 2 hours. Your body will get more out of your workouts that way because you will be able to do higher intensity. More bang for your time! Lol.

Last edited by Digging Deep; 04-30-2010 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Forgot something. Lol.
Digging Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 317/266.5/180

Height: 5'7"

I would agree that 2 hours is a long time. I used to go for about an hour and a half. I would do half an hour of cardio and then do weights till I was done with my regimine. I woudl also agree that you go to the gym with a plan. Do your cardio, and your weights. Or whatever you do in the gym. I would say that if you go to the gym everyday, don't do 2 hours everyday.
possiblesuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:55 AM   #4  
MONI

S/C/G: 257/257/160

Height: 5'4''

Cherry,

First off, congrats on the weight loss so far. You are a motivation to me since we're starting around the same weight!

I agree with the other ladies, 2 hours is a bit much. I've read in a couple of articles that anything over an hour *cardio* is pointless. But I personally thing anything ffrom 45 to 60 mins is great. Make sure you switch it up. Classes and so on. Good luck, keep it up"!
Moni28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:06 AM   #5  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

i think 2 hours is a long time, but it really depends on why you are there for 2 hours. If you are there for 2 hours because you love it and its a really important part of your life and its your stress relief or hobby etc, and you arent getting overtired or exhausted, it could be fine. But I dont think its necessary for effective weightloss
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:04 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/246/110

Height: 5'3"

Well first of all thank you Moni28 for sayn I'm a motivation I've never been one of those! I do go on the tredmil the bike I do steps then on the thing that makes ur arms n legs move idk the name lol each of those for about 15 thru 25 mins then I do a couple of things for my arms. I have re lost 8pounds so I thought I was doin good since my diet hasn't been so good lately and I enjoy it when I'm there and when I leave I'm not even sore :/ lol
cherry7211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:20 AM   #7  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Great to hear you have relost 8 pounds Sounds to me like you are doing ok. Just think about not doing 2 hours a day if you go everyday. It'll probably get really old, really quick xD
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:51 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/136/128

Height: 5'6

Hi Cherry - I've posted before that I go to the gym for two hours a day and I want to clarify. First, I'm not doing cardio for two hours. At MOST an hour, and that's if I'm taking a spin class that goes for an hour, or if I'm training for my half marathon on the treadmill. Or maybe I'll split it up and do 30 minutes elliptical and 30 minutes stair master. But I never do cardio over an hour. The second hour is a "gentle" class, typically pilates or yoga. I like the stretch and cool down after intense cardio. Sometimes a weight training or abs class, but never cardio on top of cardio. Also - I've been going at this since September - when I started I was doing cardio for 45 minutes a day only. I take Saturdays and Sundays off - and I never work out over those two hours, many times less. It's about figuring out what's comfortable for you! Am I going to go to the gym everyday for the rest of my life? No. But right now, I'm 24, single, no kids, and have no responsibility for anyone but myself, and I figured if there's a period in life to spend a significant amount of time getting my ideal, best body, it's now!

Last edited by alexandraT; 04-30-2010 at 06:51 AM.
alexandraT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:31 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I think it's more important to have a plan, like others have said. I do 30 min of cardio and then my strength training routine for either upper or lower body depending on the day. I generally work out 6 days a week. On days I go alone, I can usually get it done in 50 min. If I go with a friend, crash in the hot tub or the sauna, it can take an hour and a half or more to more or less do the same thing. I don't think the time is as important as the intensity.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:58 AM   #10  
MONI

S/C/G: 257/257/160

Height: 5'4''

Cherry- your welcome! It's true! It sounds like your work out routine is working and good. I aim for 45 cardio (min) and try to switch it up between classes and so on.

Alexandra- I think you got something good going. I agree, if you are doing a class and top and hour.

Good luck everyone! I just joined the gym and its great!
Moni28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #11  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Not only is there no reason to workout for two hours a day at the gym (unless you are an athlete TRAINING) but migh also become detrimental to your weight loss....... Overtraining is serious, and can cause you to stop losing for sure. Be gentle to your body...if you must be there for 2 hours, then you need to make sure you are properly fueled, and REfueling DURING a 2 hour workout.
Also, ive seen a tag-line/signature on this forum that reads: " You cant out exercise bad eating habits!"
In other words, it sounds like you might be trying to exercise to compensate for an admittedly poor diet? You would have much much greater AND faster results if you buckled down on your diet, you know? YOu dont even HAVE to train to lose weight, if your diet is spot on...of course, no diet can make up for all the OTHER wonderful benefits of exercise!

Congrats on the weightless so far!! You have great determination and motivation
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote