Old 04-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #1  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

Default Would you want to know how much you weight every second?

I just had an odd thought . . . A lot of us are just crazed by the darn scale and its meanderings. I know that I feel good if I lose pounds even if I know it's all water! So, what if there was a watch you could wear that would tell you your exact weight whenever you looked at it! (Such a device may not be such a far-fetched idea!)

Would you wear one?

I'm afraid iI'd never stop looking at it and have unbearable mood swings when I gained/lost an ounce!
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 291/ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Not going to lie, I pretty much do this. I have a scale in my kitchen and I weigh myself compulsively every time I eat, drink or use the washroom lol.
It's not healthy, but it's helping me learn how my weight can fluctuate throughout the day so that when I do pack on a pound or two (or lose it) I know exactly why.
I used to never weigh myself, in fact I refused to own a scale...and I ended up almost 300lbs. I feel like this is the healthier alternative.
JessicaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Nope, never.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-30-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #4  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

Sometimes I weigh periodically during the day like JessicaDawn, just to see what the daily fluctuations are like so I know more about my body. Lately, I seem to weigh the lowest before dinner. Not sure why, but there ya go!
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaDawn View Post
Not going to lie, I pretty much do this. I have a scale in my kitchen and I weigh myself compulsively every time I eat, drink or use the washroom lol.
It's not healthy, but it's helping me learn how my weight can fluctuate throughout the day so that when I do pack on a pound or two (or lose it) I know exactly why.
I used to never weigh myself, in fact I refused to own a scale...and I ended up almost 300lbs. I feel like this is the healthier alternative.

I think it can be a lot healthier than you think. I was always told that weighing more than once a week was "unhealthy" and I bought into that idea for many, many years.

I learned to understand weight fluctuations and learned not be afraid or traumatized by the scale by doing exactly as you describe. I think our scale behaviors are neither healthy or unhealthy - it's our interpretation of them that messes with our minds and emotions.

Yes, I would wear a scale watch. I would not be traumatized by fluctuations, but it would remind me, especially during restaurant meals, that I don't need to eat 5 lbs of food. While the calories matter, not the weight of the food, I do use the "weight" of the food as a helpful guideline (because it's impossible to gain more weight than the weight of the food).

A 2 ounce candybar cannot cause you to gain more than 2 ounces, for example.

A bodybug style weight monitor, would be a nice tool. I wouldn't pay an outrageous sum for it though, because I do fine with my bathroom scale.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 280/210/170

Height: 5' 9.5"

No, I would not wear it, I have no need to know on that level beyond the novelty. I don't even wear a watch. If I need to know the time, there are clocks around, scales for weight. I'd love a nice wrist compass/coffee maker while out hiking though.
zibsca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:14 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

No, I would have no desire to wear it. I've no need to know what the volume of the food I've eaten weighs. I see no point.

Once a day, first thing in the morning, before I get into the shower is all that I need to keep hold me accountable, keep me honest, keep me aware of my body. Anything more than that, *to me*, is just not giving me any VALUABLE information.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:28 AM   #8  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

No, but I am another who grew hearing that frequent weighing was unhealthy. That's just another weight loss myth that doesn't fit me! I can bury my head wen I'm not weighing, but I can't do that if I'm weighing every day. Right now, I think this one simple addition to my day may just be my key to maintenance.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:33 AM   #9  
GoingTheDistance

S/C/G: 313/252/172

Height: 5'10"

Heh heh, depends on what the number is. Sure, I wouldn't mind looking if I was at goal weight, but at my current weight no thank you! I have been only weighing in at the very end of the month, and this has been working for me so far.
renstwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:40 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Once again...we discuss how often to weigh. I think folks should do what works for them. If weighing 3 or 4 times a day is helpful - then do it. If weighing once a day is helpful, then do it. If weighing once a week is helpful, then do it. If weighing only at the doctor's office works...then do it.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #11  
I shall be released...

Height: 5'8"

Nah, my morning weight is the only one I care about. Fluctuations throughout the day are too random and unreliable to get a good measurement, so I just don't worry about it.
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
While the calories matter, not the weight of the food, I do use the "weight" of the food as a helpful guideline (because it's impossible to gain more weight than the weight of the food).

A 2 ounce candybar cannot cause you to gain more than 2 ounces, for example.
Is this really true?

I mean, I know a pound of broccoli weighs the same as a pound of M&Ms but I'm pretty sure I would gain weight from the 2300 calories in a pound of M&Ms but not from the 160 calories in a pound of broccoli.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I wear (and LOVE!) my GWF but I wouldn't want a running total of my weight by the second. I don't see that as info that would be valuable to me for acheiving and maintaining my weight goals.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutsMom704 View Post
Is this really true?

I mean, I know a pound of broccoli weighs the same as a pound of M&Ms but I'm pretty sure I would gain weight from the 2300 calories in a pound of M&Ms but not from the 160 calories in a pound of broccoli.
Initially it should be the same or very close to it as they're both undigested food. You don't gain weight (fat) immediately upon eating food. Those M & M's might not *catch up with you* and show on the scale for a couple of days.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #15  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

heheh that's such a fun idea, but NOOOOOoooo never!!! What I WOULD like to wear, is a little pin or something, that when I'm eating more calories than I need to survive & thrive, it would start to glow amber....and then red....and then beeeeep!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote