Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Default What to do after reaching goal weight?

Howdy. I still have a ways to go before this is even an issue, but I've been thinking a lot about what I will need to do when I get to my goal. I've been very disciplined so far in my weight loss journey, and eating healthy is definitely in my plans for the rest of my life, but I wonder if I can ever ease up a little bit once I'm at goal.

I quit smoking a little over a year and 1/2 ago, and gained somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 lbs. in the first few months. My quit from smoking is pretty secure, so I started the eating right, lower calories and more exercise thing in mid-February. Before I quit smoking, I was a maximum of 20 lbls. over my current goal wieght, and I ate some good food, some junk, and was not a binge kind of person.

Once a prson is obese, do they (I) have to pinch calories forever? Or am I likely te be able to keep up the activity and in so doing be able to have a biscuit and gravy once in a while? I know that nobody can eat truckloads of junk and stay thin, and I'm not expecting to do that. I'm trying to discover what is realistic.

Thanks for any help/ideas/suggestions you can offer. It's hard work getting this extra weight off, much harder than it was to put it on, and I DO NOT want to have to ever start all over again!

Barb

Last edited by angelskeep; 04-26-2010 at 07:49 PM.
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 193/170/140

Height: 5'5"

I am not at goal weight, but I think it is something you kind of have to experiment with. I think most successful maintainers still keep track of calories eaten and some also track calories burned. As long as they balance out on average you should be able to maintain and still have some junk once in a while.
Sheena41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #3  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I think you should be able to have a biscuit and gravy once in a while. I mean, you want to enjoy life, right?

There are so many factors that go into your individual maintenance. Some of it will be related to what weight you stop at and how much work it takes to maintain that.
Also how much exercise you do. You don't have to be a fiend about it (unless you like it, as I do).

It's all things in moderation. I hate that saying, yet it is very true.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #4  

I am on the national weight loss registry. Once you have lost all the weight you want to, you have to keep on doing the same thing. You can add back calories a little at a time until you get to the point where you quit losing. Try adding 200 a day for a week and see how that does, then add 100 the next week if you are still losing, then 50 etc. Once you figure out your maintenance calorie level, that is what you will eat for the rest of your life with this admonition...every time you get to a new decade in age beginning at 40, you have to cut 100 calories a day or you will gain. You will also need to continue keeping your food diary and exercising.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:09 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

It depends on what you mean by "ease up." If you ease up with too much food for your daily burn, you could start to gain the weight back. That's pretty obvious.

Biscuit and gravy? Sure, you can have it anytime, even during weight loss--HOWEVER, a biscuit with sausage gravy is around 600-700 calories. So I would go so far as to say that for all of us with "weight problems," a breakfast of biscuits with sausage gravy, eggs, hash browns and toast is going to always be way, way more than what we ought to eat in a meal, unless we eat nothing else the rest of the day.

You just have to plan it out. Choose your foods with your brain instead of with your eyes, nose, and mouth.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:36 AM   #6  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelskeep View Post
I wonder if I can ever ease up a little bit once I'm at goal.

I'm trying to discover what is realistic.

Thanks for any help/ideas/suggestions you can offer.
It's hard work getting this extra weight off, much harder than it was to put it on,
and I DO NOT want to have to ever start all over again!

Barb
When I was losing weight, I had that Hope as well,
But experience taught me that it was merely wishful thinking.

My answer is NO, there is no "easing up a little bit" after reaching goal.
My 4 years + of maintenance has taught me
that maintaining my goal weight is no less difficult
than losing my weight in the first place.

As far as "easing up a little bit" after goal, I worked very hard to get to my goal,
in fact....as hard as I was able. to do..
but during the 16 months it took me to get from 190 down to 115 lbs.
I didn't eat and exercise perfectly for every day of the 16 months.

My 16 month average calorie intake was about 1230 calories daily,
and my 16 month average weight-loss was about 1 lb per week.
During that 16 month time, there were occasions when I ate far more calories than my average.
In response, I had to eat less calories to balance it all out.
That is exactly the same process it takes in Maintenance.
Sometimes one eats more, and then, in response, one has to eat less.

I also belong to the National Weight Loss Registry,
and I completely agree with QuilterinVA's post.
However, each of us have some individual differences,
I was not able to add any calories back in,
and now, more than 4 years later,
my daily requirement is about 200 calories less than during weight-loss,
although I faithfully continue my daily 1 hr of low-impact exercise...
which is the maximum my body and mind can accomplish.

The bodies of the "reduced obese" continually struggle to regain lost-weight.
In order to maintain a large weight-loss, one must be vigilent forever.

Last edited by Bright Angel; 04-27-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #7  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

WOW - 200 calories less than your weight loss. I just reached my goal and was consuming about 1100 - 1200 calories a day. So I would have to cut back to 900 - 1000 - that doesn't seem releastic for me anyway.

I added 100 calories a day and am continuing to do the same exercise if not a bit more than I had before. So I am hoping this will work. I am just going to keep an eye on that scale and those numbers for quite a long time to come.
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote