Old 04-22-2010, 04:04 AM   #1  

Height: 5'9"

Default night time bad habits

Okay so I'm focussed and doing well eating wise during the day, but then as I get tired and hungry at night, my good eating goes out the window.
Sigh.
Does anyone have any tips for breaking this evening pattern?

Thanks in advance!

Sairz
Sairz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:19 AM   #2  
fra

S/C/G: 231/xx/150 [105/xx/68 kg]

Height: 6' [183 cm]

well my only weapon against food is a strong distraction.. I play a videogame I totally love, so that I am not tempted to stop playing to eat, or I videchat, so that the other person can keep an eye on me
fra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:51 AM   #3  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

How about going to bed? You said you are tired.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:11 AM   #4  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

If your good eating during the day leads to you being hungry and tired at night, maybe you need to look at the foods you are eating during the day. I find that if I have enough protein during the day, I stay relatively full the rest of the day. My dinner I normally eat 250-300 calories and I'm done for the night.

I don't know what plan you are on but I'm a calorie counter so I typically allow myself 1-2 snacks during the day that fit into my schedule especially during hours I get peckish -the times are during breakfast and lunch, lunch and dinner, or 1 hour before the gym.

Another way is to keep trigger foods out of the house for a bit. In the beginning, my love was potato chips and I had no way of stopping at one. I no longer have the family size sitting around the apartment just begging to be eaten. I only have healthy choices for snacks around the house!

Hope these tips help
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

I agree with InControl2Day. Make sure you are getting plenty of fiber and protien, have filling meals that are low in calorie, and be sure you have some sort of healthy fats - they really keep you full. Peanut/almond butter, avocado, olive oil...

I drink tea at night too to keep me from munching on things.
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #6  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

Siarz- when you say you're so hungry at night and bad habits come out do you mean snack wise or for dinner? I am a bigger dinner person. Mostly because i'm not hungry in the morning. Dinner is typically my biggest meal...

So if you're having trouble making a healthier dinner because you're tired from work, try planning ahead. I like to cook things I can eat for a few meals so that I'm not having to cook EVERY single night.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:45 AM   #7  

Height: 5'9"

Thanks everyone for the great tips.

It's both snacking and bad choices for dinner that my problem is, in the evenings. I don't snack during the day. I'm just not a snacker. I generally forget about food during the day until about 2-3pm and I realise I haven't eaten and am getting hungry. I'm trying to make sure I eat breakfast and lunch nowadays, to prevent starvation mode. Certainly wouldn't be helping anything.

Changing up my day time meals might help, planning meals and cooking in bulk in advance, I used to do that and it was great. Why aren't I doing it now?

Thanks again everyone!
Sairz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #8  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

I get snacky at night because I'm tring to stay awake. If I'm HUNGRY, I have a meal. If I'm SNACKY, I should go to bed, because that's the real reason I'm munching Sometimes sweet tea does the trick, or a hot chocolate,
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #9  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

The other thing too is to try to force yourself to snack. Depending on what you're doing you should have at least one snack in the mornings. I found that the more I ate (small meals/snacks) the more I was hungry which was actually my metabolism doing better.

I'm not much of a breakfast person. I get to work around 7 and don't have breakfast until 10. I have lunch around 1 or so. Snack around 3 or when I get home about 4 and then I have dinner somewhere between 6-8. Just kind of depends on the day.

My dinner is def the biggest meal of the day because that's how I work. That's probably how you work too. If I don't eat in the morning I can go until 3 or 4 in the afternoon before I eat which has been part of the problem in the past.

Hope that helps.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 156/138/126

Height: 4'11"

when you get hungry at night just grab some apple and munch. if youre use to eat alot of good food during the day your stomach gets used of being full thats why you crave for something when its empty. if you used to eat small, the space in your stomach shrinks and you feel full with less food. also try using chitogold, it helps you control your hunger. take it during the daytime after eating your meal and feel the difference.

Source: own experience
rizagillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:39 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 215/207.2/126

Height: 5'4.5

I try to eat a healthy dinner around 400-500 calories so that I don't have to eat after 7 and am never hungry. Weight watcher's has a cookbook with filling recipes, and I also use a few other cookbooks. For example, tonight I plan to making orange baked chicken with potatoes lyonnaise.
squishysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote