Old 04-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

Default New scale - new number - what to do!

I need some advice. I accidentally broke my old scale by getting it wet. (ps, do not put scale right next to shower...)

My old scale read 122 as a normal base, going up or down here and there. But now this scale says 119. My roommates scale also says 119 and did when my other scale said 122. While a other friend's sclae said 117. I don't know what to believe. I know it's not a bit weight difference, but I just don't know what to believe. That "20" to the "teens" is a big thing to me. I want to sit good at 120, I never want to see the teens on a scale.

I'm going to the doctor Friday, I'll see what that scale says. But I just don't know what to believe! I shouldn't be so hung up on this... but I just want to know what I weigh for real.
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 242.6/198.8/145

Height: 5'4''

I feel your pain! I bought a scale this weekend the measures BMI and Body Fat % and it is showing me 3 pounds heavier.. ... I honestly done know what to think either
Phoenixsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:12 AM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

I would wait until you see what the doctor's scale reads. Those are always more accurate. Don't fret! And if you are 117-119, you can always gain a couple of lbs, right?
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #4  

Sunflower I sure could, lol.

I suppose in the grand scheme of things, it makes no difference. It's about how you feel, not the number. And I feel fine. But, I suppose i"ll go by what the scale at the doc. says tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:01 AM   #5  
Workin' on it...

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

And the problem is??? Girl hug that scale, then send it this way! haha KIDDING!

I completely understand your concern. I agree that checking your doctor's scale first is a good idea. The different readings from friend's scales could be caused by a variety of things. Scale accuracy can be impacted by quality of the initial unit (greater accuracy from materials or construction), impact or damage (even slight drops or impact can throw it off majorly), and even the surface it is set on/subfloor/foundation type. I know that I was "heavier" on the bottom floor of my parents home (on concrete) than I was upstairs (where the floor had unnoticable "give" from wood subfloor construction.

If your doctor's scal reads differently, you could use this as your base and add or subtract the difference from your home scale for the most accurate reading.
MisplacedMyHailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #6  
love it or lose it

S/C/G: 210/209/150

Height: 5'2"

Ditto what Laruen says.. see what the doc scale reads.. if its different just remember to add or subtract from the one at home My parents have one of those fancy doctor scales. I weight a pound less on that than the digital one I have at home. I go by what theirs says. haha
shortandfluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/145

Height: 5' 5.5"

What you should do is share the brand and where you got it! I want a nice scale!

Phoenix- My new one weighs me heavier if that is any consolation! But, I go with it none the less.

The scale at my gym says the same as my one at home, but I am always clothed at the gym. Somedays I wonder what I would weigh at the gym in my birthday suit, lol.
jaimie1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #8  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Its a big deal if that puts her under-weight...

Gar - just see what the doctor's office says.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #9  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

The one at the doc's will be the most accurate. HOWEVER, there will obviously be a difference if you've eaten/drank anything and if you're wearing different clothes than what you normally wear to weigh. I weigh naked first thing in the morning after I use the restroom and before I eat. If I weighed later in the day after a few bottles of water, and a meal or two with my clothes on, of course I'm going to be heavier. So if the doc's scale says 120, I'd imagine you're really less than that.

And for the record, at 5'3, 105 is the lowest healthy weight. So you're not in the danger zone or anything, lol, but I can definitely understand the concern.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

Before you go to the doctor after you're dressed and ready weigh yourself and then don't eat or drink anything before getting to the doctor.
Katieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 235/192.6/150

Height: 5'5"

Hmmm.... Maybe I should get a fancier scale. I want one that measures BMI since that is also a certain requirement for me to join the Air Force.
kabaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #12  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Kabaker, there are zillions of really simple BMI calculators online, you don't need a scale that tells you your BMI. I use this one, just because it's the first one that pops up on Google. Just type in your height and current weight --> http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

If you meant body fat%, I have one that measures BF%, and I don't trust it entirely. They aren't too accurate.

I think for the military, they measure body fat % by measuring waist and neck (at least the do for guys...), but I bet you could google around for the Air Force's acceptable measurements for your height.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #13  
Workin' on it...

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I bought a fancy scale that measures all manner of things, including Body Fat. The thing was a royal pain to setup and is even more complicated to use and understand. I only even pay attention to the weight now...I'd stick on the online calculators.
MisplacedMyHailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #14  

My old one had a body fat analyzer, but it was always changing, and I didn't think it was true. It seemed to keep going up the more I lost weight and gained muscle.. maybe I'm crazy though.

Thanks for all the advice ladies.

And Stella thank you for understanding my concern!