South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-20-2010, 06:28 AM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default In odd pattern

Hey all,
Since I've been lacking motivation lately, I've been reviewing how I've handled SB so far:
--did a successful phase 1, but cheated on day 10 with wine (was on vacation) so stayed on Phase 1 eating for 3 weeks, then switched to phase 1.5
--did Phase 1.5 for a couple of weeks, lost very slowly. Never fully transitioned to Phase 2. Looking back I think I was eating too many calories which was why the loss was slow.
--after about 6 weeks on Phase 1.5, started really cheating on some days (weekends only for the most part) with things like pasta and pizza then in an effort to stem any damage I would do Phase 1 for a week or so and then the weekend would roll around and I would cheat again. I never went back to Phase 1.5 or 2 after that; would just do Phase 1 and then cheat and back to Phase 1 again.

So, clearly I have not been following the program. I've been thinking about doing (or trying to do) a clean Phase 1 AGAIN for the full two weeks, no cheating with anything, (even wine) and then doing a slow Phase 1.5 into a Phase 2. I'm doubting myself though. I can already hear the voices in my head about this weekend (going to hang out with SIL, always drink wine and gossip when we do that, then taking MIL out for an early Mother's Day, will I have enough will power to stay OP for that, etc. etc.). I know many of you have been through similar experiences; maybe you can commiserate with me. Suggestions are always welcome (and I should learn to take my own, sometimes).
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:56 AM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I know exactly what you're talking about Mmc. Weekends aren't a particular problem for me but I've been up and down for the last year. I keep succumbing to the "just this once" voice. I know from following SBD that just one often leads to more and to less restraint the next time I'm faced with a choice.

I have used Phase 1 to get back on track not because I had cravings but because I need the structure. I know that's not what it's intended for but my brain responds to strict structure. I'm also plugging away at Beck this time because I think those principles combined with SBD foods may be what I need.

Guess I don't have any answers either but I sure know how you feel. I figure as long as we keep coming back and getting back on track quickly eventually we will figure it all out
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: maintaining

Mmc - Here is my story from last year: I did SB until goal, then since I was on PH3, started adding things in. Then added more... the bad stuff, refined carbs, junk, etc. The cravings grew. I gained a tiny bit of weight. I told myself I could still control it. I tried PH1 for a day or PH2 for a while, always thinking I had it under control. Then I cheated again. Then I gained more weight. Then I had to stop kidding myself that I was on the plan at all. Holidays, events, always a reason not to start over with a full PH1. And I didn't want those two weeks again! I finally woke up and hit the beach running, PH1 clean, PH 1.5 for 10 weeks not one cheat, and on.

I know our stories are different, but enough similar that I would say from my experience and in my opinion, go back and recommit and do PH1, no wine. It is not fun, but it works. Also, I just read an article about weekends and the phenomenon of eating more then. There are several bloggers who I follow who set goals before each weekend. That might be an idea to try as well.

It is hard. Why is it always so hard?

Good luck!
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:51 AM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Mmc,

Thanks for sharing your struggle and I hope you'll find your answer with suggestions from the other beachers. I encounted a bit of an issue with motivation over a month ago, too.

I, like Cyndi, have embarked on the Beck journey. It might be something to look into. Beck is not a WOE but a program which teaches techniques for learning how to continually follow a diet. I have found it to be just what I needed. It might be possible to come up with some of these ideas on your own, but the day to day tasks make it very easy for me to learn a structure for success. With Beck I'm also learning alot about the importance of portion control.

You'll have to decide for yourself about P1 and there will certainly be differing opinions. I know for ME, that I'm far better getting back to my Phase 2 groove (which is actually 1.5). I personally have a difficult time with the restriction since I'm committed to SBD as a WOL. When I went back to P1, I felt deprived and stopped living in the present-I spent every day wishing it were over.

That said, after spending a few weeks feeling the backslide coming, I feel very much in control right now. Once my mindset changed, it was very easy to get back on track. Interesting as I employ my newfound dieting skills the scale is starting to move again. Funny, I first learned about Beck and investigated it after reading about it in your thread about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

Best Wishes! Your commitment to posting daily assures your eventual success amidst the small detours which you encounter along the way!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #5  
Be happy.

I can barely figure out what works best for me, but since you asked for thoughts - here you go!

I've noticed that there are 2 kinds of successful South Beachers. Some choose to never cheat at all, and the others plan occasional off plan treats. They plan their 'cheat' in advance and are content with a small portion. They enjoy it without guilt and are happy to get right back on plan. I'm not sure one way is better than the other - I suppose it's a personality/temperament thing. I wonder if things would be easier for you if you commit yourself down to one of those 2 methods. Maybe you're someone who will be happiest striving to be 100% on plan at all times. Or maybe you'd feel more in control on the weekends if you planned one specific splurge and limited yourself to that.

I'm in the second category. I did a clean Ph 1, and settled into phase 2 feeling so good that I knew I was going to eat this way for the rest of my life. Once that decision was made, it took a lot of the pressure off. When a special occasion comes up I handle it the way I'm planning to handle special occasions for the rest of my life. I have a small portion of the special food and then get right back on plan. I suppose it's just a head game but knowing I can have a treat without guilt every now and then makes it so much easier for me to say no the rest of the time.

Life is full of celebrations and most things aren't worth going off plan for, so I choose carefully. I bring on plan desserts along when invited to friends' homes, Bible studies or church dinners. So far no one's been offended when I showed up with a batch of SF PB cookies.

The other thing that's worked great for me is changing old routines and habits. For example, my friend Gail and I had a habit of eating fast food every time we went shopping together. Since October, I've been packing a snack/lunch for us to eat on the drive instead. It gives us more time for shopping and a little more cash to spend in the stores, and so far neither of us has felt deprived.

I don't know if you've got the kind of flexibility to change old routines with your sister in law and others, but I'm sure you could bring OP snacks with you and decide exactly how much you want to eat and drink before you get there.

Good luck to you! I'm struggling right now, too. I'm eating on plan but I feel like eating from dawn til bedtime. I have never faced anything as stressful as what's going on with my dad right now, and old habits are comforting I guess. Everyone faces challenges though. Figuring out how to meet our challenges is what makes us strong and successful.

Last edited by Heidi58; 04-20-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #6  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I ahve the beck book maybe we should do a beck thread?
Mmk Amen Sister! I can get a few days clean and then the I falter sometimes little sometimes big!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #7  

I know there's a Beck board here but I love all my SB friends so much I would like to start a Beck/SB thread here if the mods say it is ok. For those who have started doing beck along with SB, where did you begin?
Old 04-20-2010, 05:45 PM   #8  
South Beacher

S/C/G: 230/211/175

Height: 5'7

Start Beck from the beginning. There are some days you combine into one day, but you must decided that for yourself. I would suggest finding one person to do Beck with. Alot of the issue you face are a bit more personal and you might gain more with the one on one attention. I have been working one on one with someone and I feel I have gained more than I would in a group.

I don't think I could go back to phase 1. I have gone back to a strict phase 1.5 a couple of times. My strict phase 1.5 is phase 1 with fruit.

Last edited by tammies00; 04-20-2010 at 05:48 PM.
tammies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:14 PM   #9  
Working on healthy

I agree with Tammie about Beck. The first time I tried it I did each day for a day. This time I'm rolling some days together but taking longer on others, focusing on my trouble spots. I did Day 13 for a whole week and I'm still working on it. Personally I'm more comfortable with group support, but that's more a style thing
Old 04-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #10  

Someone explain Beck to me...I've never heard of that before.
litar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #11  
GlenwoodHotSprings

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck...ddy-coach.html

From the 3FC Beck Diet Solution;
"The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT)."

Mmc, I agree with Cyndi and Tammie that you get the book and start at the beginning although you may find that you have already completed some of the early tasks.

Personally, I have chosen to post on the Beck thread and would prefer to keep my Beck experiences separate from SBD. I think it's important to remember that people who come to this forum are looking for support with SBD-and our Mods are geared to aid in that support.

If you look the book over and decide you'd like to work it with a buddy/coach you could ask if someone here at the beach would be interested and would like to PM you. I checked my book out at the library, but will buy one soon.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #12  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I'm going to revisit beck b/c i'm having a really hard time
I have a lot of plates spinning right now and the stress is kicking my arse
Mmk if you want to get the book and get a buddy I'm in!!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #13  
Working on healthy

I have the Workbook and the audiobook. I play the days I have trouble with every morning until it clicks. It's similar to the technique I used for sensitive conversations with my daughter
Old 04-21-2010, 05:25 AM   #14  

I will have to look into Beck. I will order the book. Frankly I can't throw myself into something new until I get all this photo s**t resolved, but my goal is to do that by the end of April. My May goal is to get my blog started, but I think I can do Beck at the same time. Are there three products - the book, workbook and audiobook? What is most useful? KO I would love to be your buddy. Want to start on May 1?
Old 04-21-2010, 07:54 AM   #15  
GlenwoodHotSprings

I use the pink book, the Beck Diet Solution, as my textbook for my one on one with my diet coach, Tammie00. I think it's important that we both use the same book. I also have the workbook which I use everyday because it has suggestions for additional exercises. I just got the audiobook for listening in the car.

Tammie and I both perused the book before committing to one another, which I thought was important. We both felt we wanted to commit to the program and to each other. For me, I think working with her has been really helpful although I certainly relate how Cyndi works well on her own schedule.