General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #1  

Lightbulb New gal on 3.....IE & OA

Hello,
Doing my research and looking for the truth of the matter within my own self...I was referred to OA, in doing research about OA I happened upon this site....<great site by the way>
My question is....would IE (Intuitive Eating) and OA (OVereaters Anonomys)be a good fit to use in combination?
I agree that diet is not the answer. I believe that we all have deep rooted issues that cause us to eat emotionally and compulsivley. I believe that there is not one method out there that can help every overweight person.
It boils down to self, what you are comfortable with so you are ABLE to overcome your addictions...whether it be food or any other.
At this moment in my life I am tired of all the false promises that this will work....& the false promises coming FROM my own self. It's time to get to the core and truth of this matter!!!!
Thanks for listening!
YepItzMe
YepItzMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #2  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I peronally feel that IE would not be compartable with OA. If you need to be in OA then I gaurantee you have issues recognizing when you are full. Maybe after you've spent some time in the program IE would be something you could explore again. I have binging issues and IE is not a good fit for me. Personally I find calorie counting the way to go. It gives me a strict budget to follow, how I follow it is up to me giving me complete flexibility.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 171.4/161.4/145

Height: 5'5

I agree with ncuneo, IE is only practical when one knows 'is it real hunger or something else.
I don't eat because of boredom, but when tired, after a hard day, to relax, to treat and mindless, IF I don't structure myself. I am finding that the suggestions of "eat often but little", isn't at all for me, because little then triggers more..as in meal, esp. since then it isn't a structured behavior.
When I am on a plan....I feel eating 3 meals and maybe one fruit snack, I am finding out what hunger feels like and am not tempted to snack after work, take nibble after dinner while doing dishes, or just to relax me. When the meal is done, I have to be done. Intuition wouldn't work at all, cause it would tell me I deserve not to suffer a problem with food.
And that is just one part..and my problem. But there are so many variables for everyone, be it personal, stress, industrial age, or genetic.
Isn't it funny, there are thousands of people getting pd lots of money working on these issues, yet the answers always get reputed 2 years later.
I am not taking all the blame for what's happening to me, but am ready to put up a fight.
bubu59 is offline   Reply With Quote