Old 04-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #1  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

Height: 5'3"

Default inches vs lbs

so i've been perfection with regards to being on plan this week-- just because i am trying to remind myself that i want this.

anyway, with working out regularly and staying OP i'm down a little bit. i was a little disappointed until i measured and found that i lost an inch everywhere!

i think that that might be more important to me.

so that leads me to ask

what do you guys value more? inches or lbs?
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #2  

I'm sure most people will say inches, but I tend to get happier over pounds lost. It takes A LOT for a woman to gain a significant amount of muscle to notice it on the scale, and I just don't believe that I'm lifting enough weight to replace fat with muscle pound for pound. BUT... if I was into super heavy lifting, I would definitely be happier with the inches lost.
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #3  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

I know it sounds silly, but I'm significantly more interested in pounds. And it's counterintuitive because people "see" inches, as in the size that we are, and ultimately I care about how I look (besides health and such). But weight is just a number on the scale that we look at in our bathroom and nobody else needs to know it.

Until I get to goal weight, I care a lot more about being 135-140lbs than I do about being X inches. I only casually measure inches when I think about it, I haven't tracked that progress as well as I should have. Maybe I'll start being more enthusiastic about losing a few more inches when I have the number I want on the scale.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 305/245/135

Height: 5'6"

I'm all about the inches! Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day, but your measurements really aren't that fluid.

Congrats on the loss!! Way to go
Viviane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:28 PM   #5  
0/12 Workouts - April

S/C/G: 135/118.6/115

Height: 5'1"

Neither - I used to care A LOT about both pounds and inches (usually pounds more - watching the scale tick down was intoxicating), but it always just sabotaged me in the end. I could be having a really good week, eating well and exercising a good amount, but then for whatever reason the scale wouldn't budge and suddenly I'd feel awful about all the work I was doing. It was never enough, so now my philosophy is if I like what I see in the mirror that's good enough for me!
skinnylibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:21 AM   #6  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Both really. Although I weigh every day and only measure about once a month, but I think I'm slower to lose weight than I am to lose inches - since February I've only lost about 6 lbs, but I've lost 14 inches. I was pretty dejected until I saw the inches, then I was like oh eff the scale.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote