Old 04-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/192.6/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Are there any runners in here?

I have started running and I am wondering if any of you are also fellow runners? Have you guys lost weight by running? How long do you run? How far do you run?

I am FULL of questions!
kabaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 234/208/185

Height: 5'9"

I hope to one day run! LOL i'm just not there. I power walk and then i try to sprint as long as i can before i feel like i'm about to die! I won't say how long i can go..but i dont think its long enough to even be considered jogging
mentallyskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:50 PM   #3  
missjkd

S/C/G: 218/ticker/118

Height: 5'2"

Running really helps me lose weight. I just started running consistently again since a major weight gain. I have been doing well and the pounds have been melting. I have to change my ticker, yeah. Tomorrow I am running a 5k. It has been about seven months since I ran a race. I am excited, but a little nervous.
missjkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 133/132/118

Height: 5'4"

I love jogging! It is really tough at first, but your body will quickly get used to it. I don't really think that i lose weight because of running, it more helps me tone up and stay fit. I run 4-5 times a week for about 25 minutes right now. I am slowly adding time. I'm not really sure how far i am going, but i do several rounds at the track near my house.
maenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

I run between 3 and 8 miles. I'm working up to 13 so I can run a half marathon! I run every few day when my schedule allows time for it.

-Get GOOD shoes for your feet. Go to a running store. It will make a world of difference and protect you from injury
-If you're running outside, wear a hat or sunscreen!
-Drink plenty of water
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #6  
Just Keep on Running

S/C/G: 178/142.6/120

Height: 5'6.5

Yes- I'm a runner. The weight I have lost was mostly by running. The first time my sister lost weight, she was sedentary and started running and she lost 40 pounds. At my heavier weights, I would run 10-15 minutes and then walk the rest. Now I run 30 minutes straight(3-3.25 miles depending on my speed for the day) and typically walk or go on the elliptical to reach my cardio goal for the day. My goal is to work up to 4-5 miles, 5x a week.
energie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:39 PM   #7  
I am losing it!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6.1

Yep! I'm new to running, but I guess that still makes me a "runner". I'm doing this interval running right now where I run 50sec then walk/jog 50sec for 20-30 minutes. We have a nature trail by our house and I just jump on that. I recommend great shoes, good jogging pants, an Ipod with fast music, water bottle, count down watch w alarm, and I'm weird, but, I wear earmuffs because my ears HATE wind (and they keep my Ipod ear buds in!).

I'm losing weight because it's a great cardio!

Start where you are comfortable.

KABAKER YOU CAN DO IT!!
Veil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #8  
so close I can feel it!

S/C/G: 186.6/154/137

I'm a runner too. I'm still fairly new too it though, I just started at the beginning of the year. I've lost about 25lbs so far. I am running about 3x a week for between 30-45 minutes which is around 3.5-4.5 miles. I haven't run in a week and a half though because my last run hurt my ankle and I'm still waiting for that to heal before I get back at it..
zephyr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 263/171.0/132

Height: 5'6

If you're looking on getting started with a 5K program, C25K is great. I haven't personally used it but I've read about the results from fellow bloggers. It's amazing what they can do if they keep pushing through.

I started off setting small goals for my running. Run for 3 minutes straight. Then 5. Then 10. My first mile time was 13 minutes. Now it's about 8:45. The first time I ran a full 5K on the treadmill (a month ago), my time was 37:08. I ran my first race last Sunday and I finished in 33:21. I have a 10K in May and a half in June and hopefully some smaller races in between.

And, I've converted to barefoot styled running. Vibrams. Look into them. http://www.birthdayshoes.com has great information. It's the way we were supposed to run. Natural and barefoot. Running shoes didn't come about until the 1970s and there has been very little proof that it has helped prevent injuries. Also, the fastest runners in the world run in a style that mimic barefoot running. PLUS, it helps your body to naturally land the way it's meant to. You get a full range of motion, less knee pain, and you seriously work on your leg muscles. It's a beautiful thing.

Anyway, keep at it with running. It'll be difficult at first, but you can do it. Keep pushing yourself but remember to rest. Rest days are JUST as important so that you can improve and get better. Running started off as a way to help with weight loss but it has turned into something much more than that. I no longer focus on just weight goals but instead, I channel my energy to running. I can feel rewarded on a daily basis when it comes to running, whether it comes from running faster or farther or being able to sprint at some crazy speed. And, achieving that elusive runner's high is incredible. You just zone out and feel focused and amazing.

I love it. We are all meant to be runners. Maybe not the FASTEST runners. But runners.
Jess7286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

Talking

I run 3 to 8 miles too. Have been running on and off for a few years. Right now I am trying to run a 15lb gain off. There seems to be a mileage point I reach where I will start losing weight if I am eating well, but go below that I will get stuck and too far below and I will start gaining. I am proud of myself because this year I have managed to run at least 10 miles a week regularly since January. That was my modest goal...I figured I'd stick to it because I went by the minimum I could do if I ended up super busy at work.

I really like the Beginner's Forum at Runner's World. They helped me when starting out. They are friendly and some are overweight and wanting to lose and some have really good before and after stories.

Whoops...I am new and just realized I am posted in the 20-something forum...did not mean to do that since I am not 20-something

Last edited by tea2; 04-16-2010 at 04:38 PM.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

i'm a runner Its great fun.

I'll typically run between 5 and 8 miles through the week most days (combined with weights and spin classes etc) and on the weekends incorporate a longer run as I have more time. Something up around 13 - 14 miles.

I like variety so my tracks involve some road runs (around my area), bush runs around the local lakes and mountain running... and the treadmill if I have to :P

Definitely second the suggestion you invest in GOOD shoes. But ensure those shoes are good for YOUR foot and not just a name brand you paid lot of money for. The most expensive shoe may do horrible things to your feet (I had a pair once that were supposed to be best thing since sliced bread - they rubbed so badly everywhere I had infected blisters inches long!).

Work into your distances slowly. Injury is far more likely if you rush into trying to run long distance too quickly. Your body needs time to adjust to the extra stress.

Remember to stretch as well. Running will tighten up your muscles so its very important you stretch to keep them flexible and loose, it will also improve your running action.

...and after all that running talk its actually time for me to go for mine!

Good luck
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:52 PM   #12  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

I run. For me, it works the best for weight loss and toning out of the bike, elliptical, and running. Right now I'm jogging about 4 to 5 miles a couple days a week, at about 10-11 (5.5-6 mph) minute miles. When I started I jogged for 15 minutes at a 12 minute mile (5 mph).

My favorite part about running is achieving things. Every week I push myself to either go faster or longer and I always feel proud and feel like I'm moving towards something. With the elliptical and bike not only to a get bored easier but I don;t really feel like I'm accomplishing as big of goals. With running I can do 5k,10k, half marathons, marathons etc.
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/---/148

I'm a runner, if you can't tell by my username. I've been doing it seriously for nearly 9 months, although I started it nearly two years ago (although I didn't stick to it until this recent summer). I just did my second 5K this past week. I might be able to answer questions as well.
loquaciousjogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:32 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 235/192.6/150

Thanks for all the great tips and support you guys! I am actually doing the Couch to 5k plan and I am really liking it so far. Granted I am in the first few weeks but I am really enjoying myself and the sense of accomplishment I feel.

I am really dedicating myself to running because I am enlisting in the Air Force this fall and I KNOW I have a times 2 mile run that I have to get at. I didn't count on actually loving it as much as I am. I think I am going to make this a regular thing for me even after basic training.

I have a pair of running shoes that I really like right now. Once I start getting more experienced I am going to go visit a running store and get fitted. The shoes I am using are comfortable for me so I think I am ok for the time being.

I also bought a Nike+ SportBand and it is really helping me keep track of distance, time, calories burned, and pace. And I can upload everything to my Mac to keep track of it all and keep my motivated. I really love it.

Hopefully this running will help me break out of the plateau I have been in!
kabaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #15  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I'm a runner! I run 3-4 times a week and at least a few miles each time. I love running, so I try not to overdo it. It's helped me feel good about myself as I've lost weight. I honestly believe that I would have lost weight regardless of whether I were running or not, but it really helped me stay accountable with my eating habits. Especially since you'll be able to run faster/longer when you're properly nutritioned. I sure you'll come to love it!
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote