Old 04-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #1  
No Matter What!

S/C/G: 264/257/145

Default What to do with Napa Cabbage?

I get a weekly organic farm delivery at my house once a week and this morning in my box I found a HUGE head of Napa Cabbage. The problem is I don't know what to do with it. Any suggestions? I looked up some recipes online but it seems most of them are for a noodle type dish or fried rice, both of which I'd like to stay away from right now!

Any thoughts on some good, low-carb ideas for it? I already have a head of regular cabbage and purple cabbage to make a slaw out of so I was looking for something more creative than a slaw but if that's the best use for Napa than I guess I could use it for that too.

Thanks!
teensie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #2  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Roast the cabbage & eat it as a side dish. I got this recipe from Kalyn's Kitchen, so you may want to check out her blog for a more proper recipe.

Cut it into quarters. Put these into a large square pan. Mix olive oil & fresh lemon juice & baste it on both sides. Sprinkle with pepper. Then roast, turning halfway through.

I also steam cabbage slices in a large deep frying pan with bit of chicken broth with pepper & a sprinkle of Splenda, then sprinkle carraway seeds on at the end.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

Height: 5'6"

There was actually an awesome Napa cabbage salad recipe I found on shape.com yesterday...there is an article that says "10 salads" or something, its in there. have a look - it looks really yummy!
JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Steam/stir fry.

Or put into soup.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #5  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Height: 5'9"

It's really good to make a slaw with using a mayo or vinegar based dressing. It tastes good baked, roasted, grilled or steamed with herns, garlic, onion and -since this is Atkins- oil or fat of your choice!

Cooked with a few strips of bacon, onions and garlic is delicious, with a splash of vinegar or lemon juice, freush cracked pepper and salt.
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #6  
No Matter What!

S/C/G: 264/257/145

Thanks for the tips and ideas. I shall be playing with my cabbage soon and since it's a huge amount, chances are I will be able to make several recipes from it.

Thanks again!
teensie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 241/194/160

I throw shredded cabbage into my stirfry ... carmelize some onions, saute some pork or chicken, throw in some bell peppers and then toss in a lot of cabbage (it cooks down to almost nothing). I make a sauce of soya sauce, fish sauce and sambal olek .... add it in and let things steam a couple of minutes.
Shells is offline   Reply With Quote