Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 11:11 AM   #1  

Default Weigh-in at home 9/9 - 9/15

Just starting the topic - be right back
Old 09-09-2002, 11:16 AM   #2  

Just a quick note - I didn't weigh in as planned as it was holiday. I did OK at my mom's - better than in the past and not as good as I could have been. The biggest problem was when I got home - I wasn't really hungry but I snacked too much. The thing is, I've done that in the past when I've "deprived" myself of some holiday goodies - I didn't this time. I had a (small) piece of honey cake on Friday and a (snall) piece of blueberry tort on Saturday. Oh well, as I said, it was better than in the past - next time I'll have to have a strategy for AFTER the holiday meal.

I had a good OP day yesterday. Tony and I went to an 18 hold pitch & poutt at the beach and this morning, I did a good step workout. I was going to do a little strength after work but I forgot that I had a blood test this morning (I was called as a possible bone marrow donor match last week) so I think I might just do some very gentle yoga.

I hope everyone had a good weekend,
Judy

163.6/156.8 (yuck!) /135 (last week's numbers)
Old 09-09-2002, 01:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi all.

angel-eyes - Congrats on that great loss last week!

Judy - Holdiays are so tricky. Maybe the after meal snacking is in response not so much to depriving yourself of a specific goody, but in response to having to think about what you eat at the meal rather than eating with abandon. It sounds live you've recovered nicely though and you should see good results on the scale this Saturday.

My weekend was so-so. We took a road trip to Wisconsin on the spur of the moment on Saturday, so that meant little activity plus a meal out. We also ate out on Friday. Sunday was meals at home, but I wasn't feeling so well, so I spent most of the day on the couch. I think I was just tired. Today I feel much better. Picking up around the house will get some activity in, as will going up and down the stairs doing laundry. I also plan on getting on my walking shoes and getting a walk in. The recent news reports that a 30 minute walk a day significantly decreases a woman's chance of heart disease has motivated me. Of course the conflicting reports on the news the last couple of days is that it takes an hour a day of exercise for it to make any difference, although I think that peratins more to weight loss and muscle development. For now I'll start with the half hour and work my way up (and my weigh down too, for that matter...).

Talk to you all later.

Carla
Old 09-10-2002, 09:06 AM   #4  

Carla - sorry to hear the weekend was so-so but it sounds like you are back on track. Sometimes I'm tempted to get one of those pedometers - there are times that I feel I walk miles just doing errands, etc. I can hear the motivation to keep walking - you go girl! How are you knees these days? I was thinking that maybe you can do a couple of extra trips to the laundry just for the stair climbing. As for the holidays, what you said rings true. Perhaps it is a rebellion of sorts against having watched what I was eating when I didn't in the past. I guess progress on this front will be slow but at least I've made a little progress (watching what I eat at my mom's).

I had a good day yesterday - I was OP all the way and I even managed to bank 2.5 points.

Have a great one!
Judy
Old 09-10-2002, 12:17 PM   #5  
Determined Chick!

Hi guys! I hate to report a 1 pound gain this week :-P. I've been busy, and simply let healthy eating take a back seat to anything and everything else. Oh well, spilled milk and all...

I'll be back to finish post in a few...Holly
Old 09-10-2002, 01:39 PM   #6  
Determined Chick!

Judy -- doesn't sound like you did too bad considering you were at a holiday gathering. I know what you mean about depriving yourself and then more than making up for it after the event. Good for you for continuing to make exercise the priority! (wish I could do that!)

What's the story with the bone marrow match? Is it for someone you know? What is involved with donating bone marrow?

Cece - Good for you starting a walking program! I enjoy outside exercise, but I find it hard to find the time away from my son. (OK, I find it hard to get up at 5 A.M. so I can have the hr to myself while hubby is still home!)

Where in WI did you go? I live on the border between Lake Geneva WI and IL

Holly
Old 09-10-2002, 10:40 PM   #7  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Wink Hi Ladies.....

JudySP....sure sounds like a different you this time around at your mother's house. Sampling a little to keep from being deprived, that is a great way to avoid the 'binge reaction' GOOD JOB!!

Lyontamer......sorry to hear about the pound gain. Could it be just water retention. Look over your journal, I find I can gain that much and more if I eat some sandwich meats with sodium or ham. Flush it out with more water......

cece......you and me!! I've started walking too. I find I have more energy after I've walked and really feel sluggish on the days that I'm not able to. If you can, plug in some bopping tunes and that will help you keep up the momentum and keep a faster pace. Also.....it helps the time go much faster too!!

I've been having a good few days, although today was a real "carbo snack" day. I haven't tallied up my pts yet, but hopefully I'm within my range. My 2 boys were a real challenge this afternoon, and I kept reaching for the quick fix when what I really needed was some time away from the kitchen. Oh, well...I'll know next time.

Merrylegs???.....where are you? I hope everythings okay.....tc
Old 09-11-2002, 12:09 PM   #8  

Hi all.

Judy - I'm sometimes tempted to get a pedometer too. My knees are ok. Right now my ankle, and my good one, at that, is bothering me, so I haven't done any extra walking. I'm thinking of you a lot today and hope that you're doing ok.

Holly - Sorry to hear about the gain. We went up to the Kettle Moraine area. We drove up through Richmond.

angel-eyes - Glad to hear your walking program is helping you. I've been running errands, etc. over the past couple of days, but haven't done much beyond that because of my ankles. I love listening to music when I'm working out.

Karen - Where are you?

I'm reataining water again. I ate a couple of frozen meals for luch the past two days and I don't do that much anymore, so I'm wondering if they're the culprit. At any rate, I was up again this morning, but I know it's the water. So I'll weigh again on Friday. I'm not fretting about it - doesn't seem so important today.

Talk to you all later.

Carla
Old 09-11-2002, 01:54 PM   #9  
Canadian, eh?

Hi everyone,

I'm here...been in a bit of a deep blue funk for the last week or so. I had some testing done a couple of weeks ago, as we've been unsuccessful at conceiving for the past year. Anyway...turns out I need surgery to correct problems with my fallopian tubes, and then would need mega drugs to stimulate superovulations, and to make a long story short, because of my age, we've decided not to proceed, so my dream is over. I've been consoling myself with food...time to get on with things and climb back on the bandwagon. Move over, everyone.

On a bright, but probably insane note, we're going to pick out a new golden retriever puppy this afternoon...consolation prize. Don't ask why I think we need a third dog. The litter is 4 weeks old.

Judy - keeping you especially close in thought today.

Carla - You're right weigh ins don't seem important today. I did climb on the scale, and am up 4 lbs. Whatever. Back at it tomorrow.

AE - nice to be missed! Sounds like you're doing great. I'm so pleased for you.

Holly - sorry to hear about your small gain...it'll be gone soon.

Hope you're all having a good one.

Karen
Old 09-11-2002, 06:41 PM   #10  

Karen - I'm so sorry. I know firsthand how hard it is to make that decision and give up that dream. I hope that you feel peace soon. As for consoling yourself for food - an understandable reaction. The gain will take care of itself as you get back on track.

I'm here if you need a shoulder to cry on.

Carla
Old 09-12-2002, 08:38 AM   #11  
soon to be goddess

Wink be good to yourself......

Merrylegs......Karen, come right over here and sit beside me. {{hugs}}I'll save you a seat on the bandwagon. You'll get through this and come out this okay. It's tough to keep going on right now, but count on support from dh, friends, family and us here at 3fc. And a puppy?.....great idea!! Everyone needs someone to love them. What a lucky puppy.

Cece.......Often times sodium lurks in pre-packaged convenience foods. Its hard to say....if it was a 'oriental' meal, most likely I'd say. In the words of Thomas Crapper....."flush it out" Drink more water to get rid of all the additives,sodium and preservatives.

Tommorow is the big weighin for me......fingers crossed. I made some of those choc. pumpkin muffins but just found out I may have goofed on the mix I picked. It seems I should have used just a plain choc. cake mix and instead I used one that already had a pudding in the cake (although it was all powder form and not a pkg of pudding to add)...anyway my low pt muffins are now loaded!!! Muffin anyone??
Old 09-12-2002, 10:17 AM   #12  

Holly - sorry to hear about the gain - it's hard to do all the things you need to do when things are crazy. I try to remember that I can do things better when I take care of myself. Easier said than done of course. No, the bone marrow donation isn't for anyone I know. I signed up for the program a few years ago through work. The donation itself (if it gets that far) isn't very pleasant. Either you take this stuff for 5 days that makes you feel like you have the flu and then they take a lot of blood, or they extract the marrow from your pelvis with a needle.

Angel-eyes - good for you for having good OP days. Sorry to hear about the mix-up (no pun intended) with the muffins. I really like the Duncan Hines ALL BRAN (it has to say All Bran) muffin mix. I use 2 egg whites instead of 1 egg and 3 TB apple sauce instead of the oil and they come out a little bit over 1 pt each (when you make 12 muffins). I have my fingers crossed for you for your weigh-in.

Carla - Glad to hear that you aren't fretting about the weigh-in. Packaged/processed foods have so much sodium in them - of course they are fast and easy. Thanks for the thoughts - it was a strange day. I'm sorry your ankle is bothering you. Have you checked it out recently? It was quite a while ago that you sprained it.

Karen - I'm so sorry about your situation. I haven't had that experience per se but I did have something similar (in terms of giving up the dream) a few years ago. Please know that I am thinking of you and sending you great big bear {{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}. It's hard not to console yourself with food - I'm thinking of you and hoping that you find peace soon. I think it's a great idea to have a puppy around - they make you laugh even when you don't think you can. If you need to "talk" please don't hesitate to email me ([email protected]). Thanks for your thoughts.

I had a surprisingly good OP day yesterday. Of course, that was after Tuesday night's mini-binge that put me a few points in the hole (and I know that was in anticipation of yesterday). I started the day by doing a step tape and it felt good. It was a tough day - we watched the morning ceremonies (on TV) from downtown and I did a bit more crying. We were planning to head out to the beach 'cause I always find it soothing but the wind was so strong by then (you may have heard them mention how it kicked up when they starting reading the names) that we decided to stay home (there were gusts of 30-45 miles per hour!). I did some mundane house chores and watched some non-911 related TV. I guess I was purposely trying to move away from the anniversary. I did have a moment of sheer panic though - I was in the kitchen and heard a huge and very close-sounding airplane noise. I felt that same panic I did the first time I heard a plane overhead after 9-11 when planes started flying again. I ran out to the porch to find Tony and he told me it was a fighter jet. We went outside and saw 2 of them overhead - they were flying all around the NY airspace (as planned) and I guess it was time to make a little trip over Long Island - it made me feel better to see them and know that's what the noise was but my stomach - well, let's say it did a couple of flip-flops.

I'm hoping to do a strength tape after work which I'd better get back to. Have a great one!
Judy
Old 09-12-2002, 05:51 PM   #13  
Canadian, eh?

Hi everyone...

Thanks all for your kind words and hugs. You truly are wonderful friends. I'm trying not to dwell on things. We picked our puppy yesterday...a male. His name will be Jasper. We won't be able to bring him home for nearly another month, but I'm looking forward to it.

Judy - glad you made out okay yesterday. I think you were wise to avoid some of the media saturation. I walked the dogs by the airport yesterday morning...very few flights came in, but today was business as usual. I can imagine how you felt when you heard the fighter jet.

AE - what size can of pumpkin do you use for those muffins? I bought the stuff to do them with about a month ago, but haven't gotten around to making them yet. Thought I'd better clarify how much pumpkin to use. I love all things chocolate, so I'm looking forward to trying them.

Carla - hope your ankle is feeling better by now. I'm sure the gain was related to the salt in the frozen dinners. Hope you'll be back to walking asap. it's a great form of exercise.

Have a great day...

Karen
Old 09-12-2002, 11:11 PM   #14  
soon to be goddess

Hi Karen. The muffins are sooo deliscious I haven't done very well with resisting them.... lol The recipie calls for a 15oz can of pure pumpkin. Also please don't make the same mistake that I did and used the cake mix that has the 'pudding' in the mix. Thats a definite no no. It adds too many 'extra pts'. Anyway....they won't go to waste as my boys and their friends were helping themselves each time they walked through the house today. Looking forward to my big weighin....tommorow!! I'll sleep with everything crossed!!! haha
Old 09-13-2002, 10:29 AM   #15  

Hi all.

Sorry I was MIA yesterday. I was fighting computer problems all day. I haven't been this aggrevated since I was working. : )

angel-eyes - I'm going to have to try those muffins too. I think I'll have to freeze them right away as I don't trust myself around them. I hope weigh-in went well.

Judy - Good for you for having a good OP day yesterday. Those fighter planes would have given me a jolt too. I heard that they were going to be flying over several cities besides NY and DC, but they didn't say which ones. I'm guessing Chicago had to be one of those citites. I'm glad I wasn't downtown. The ankle that's bothering me is actually not the one that I sprained. I have an appointment for my regular checkup next week and will mention it to my doctor so he can refer me to an ortho.

Karen - I bet you can't wait until you can bring Jasper home. He'll be so much fun. How do you think Gil and Lucy will take to him?

We ended up having Chinese last night. So much for getting rid of the water. I'll be a drinking fool today. Tonight we're going to a carnical at one of the local schools - shouldn't be too tough there.... I don't think. Tomorrow is dinner at my cousin's. I'll have to eat low points all day. Have a great day and a great weekend.

Carla
Closed Thread