South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #1  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Default Joined a gym, starting Phase 1 again, and trying to find a middle ground

I'm just posting because I am really excited to have finally joined a gym. When I was younger and healthier, my dad had a family gym membership for us. He taught us a lot about being healthy and in shape. Since in the past few years I have gained weight and went way off track, I am so pleased to be part of a gym again. I can't seem to gather up the motivation at home to exercise, I'd rather use gym equipment. My husband opened up a new shop right by this gym, in a common building, so the gym allowed us to get cheapie memberships and let us get the key for whenever, wherever! It's small, but it has everything I need. Treadmills, incline steppers (or whatever they're called), punching bag, weights, and stuff like that.

My husband has had family out of state here, and I've went way off track as far as eating healthy, trying to cook great dinners for everyone, and eating them as well. I know another clean Phase 1 is needed, and I feel ashamed that I have said and done this so many times. One of my big problems is budget. By the last few weeks of the month, it gets harder and harder to create SBD type meals, and often I have just went and got something cheap and not-so-healthy. That's another thing I need to work on to ENSURE I stay OP for the entire month.

So, I just thought I'd come on and post this so I have extra support. I have been made an admin of an SBD group on Facebook that has almost 5,000 members, so that's a large source of my support. And of course, had to come back here where it all started! Please, any advice or support you can give, I'd be very grateful... I need it! I know this is going to be hard. I keep losing the same 30-40 lbs and regaining it. And the only person I can blame is myself. I NEED to do this, or I never will. I'm ready. I can't wait to get onto that treadmill!

***The middle ground part of my thread title referred to me finding a middle ground between eating healthily the SBD way, and also occasionally going to a chinese buffet and stuff like that so I don't go nuts feeling deprived.... but only occasionally, when I have reached the maintenance stage!

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 04-10-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Hi Mel! I really think you know this plan as well as any of us at this point and you know I think one of these times it will click for you.

The gym sounds great and no matter how the diet goes exercising will be so good for you. I bet your little guy is running around like crazy now and you're going to need to be seriously fit to keep up with him

There have been a couple of great threads about doing this on a budget. You might want to check them out.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sout...ur-dollar.html
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sout...egetables.html

Last edited by CyndiM; 04-10-2010 at 02:34 PM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #3  
Healthy mommy

It makes me feel great to hear a member of this forum to say that I know the plan as well as anyone else at this point... wow I've come a long way from my earlier days in the SBD forum! I feel proud. Now, if I could just apply my knowledge and make it work this time, I'd be even prouder! Thanks for the thread links, I am going to read them immediately, because I need all the help I can get! Thanks again!
Old 04-10-2010, 03:03 PM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Melanie

I'm always glad to see you here! I have found a middle ground on SBD and I'll just share what I do. I never go back to Phase 1. I eat clean enough to not kick the cravings back in and clean enough not to start regaining. I had a rough winter myself and maintained my loss but for a few pounds which have come back off since Spring has arrived and I'm falling back in the groove.
Things I absolutely do not eat no matter what:
White flour
Refined sugar
Potatoes
White Rice
White pasta
Anything fried

That means I CAN go to the Chinese buffet if I need to or want to. I just don't eat anything containing those ingredients.

Now I HAVE had two or three days where I absolutely caved and ate donuts and McDonalds but they were far and few between. I know if I drag those episodes out for a week that I'll have to start over...I'm personally just to lazy to do that.

For me, it has meant I can follow Phase 1.5 or 2 and never have to go back to Phase 1. I'm much older than you, but I just don't think I have it in me anymore to keep restarting.

Our budget is tight. We had unexpected expenses this month and I had a little under $25.00 a week ago to last me until this coming Wednesday. I broke out the beans and brown rice and miscellaneous stuff from the freezer and am eating well. Granted I did need some produce and I put some of that on the credit card, but my giant bags of organic frozen vegetables from Costco went a long way.

Best Wishes!

BTW-Congrats on your Mod job!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: maintaining

Hi Melanie! I am a yo-yo dieter too. This is my third time on SB. (I have done WW and tons of other diets over the years. Both previous times on SB I reached my goal. Both times I started eating what I used to eat and gained back weight. Now I finally know that I cannot "diet" with an end... I really have to make this a lifestyle change.

Personally, I hate PH1, but based on my past regains, intend to go back on if I find myself slipping. I hope it won't come to that.

And like you I would like find a way to incorporate an occasional splurge. We'll see if I can. If not, I honestly think I would rather give up some stuff and stop the yo-yo.

I prefer to work out at a gym too - but I take classes. I am not very motivated on my own.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #6  
Healthy mommy

Thanks! Great advice as always, Lexxiss! And congrats on falling back into the groove. People like you and Cyndi are really good role models for people like me. And I know what ya mean about not having it in you anymore to keep redoing Phase 1... I'm about wore out on it myself. Next time, if I slip, or go off-plan, I'm going to keep chugging along.. I can't keep doing it over and over, and if I just keep chugging along I think I'll be able to do it. If I don't freak out over every slip and then start a binge, I know I can do it. Glad to know you are making your budget work for it! I always have beans on stock, so I think my key to making the last few weeks of the month SBD friendly will be to find new exciting recipes involving beans. I am slowly learning to enjoy them more. I never really cared to much for them before. Now I'm finding wonderful ways to make them and I think that will help me when the food supply drops down and I'm on a tight budget. Good luck to you and your budget!
Old 04-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #7  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Glad to see you back here Mel. Take it from me, I've been a yo-yo dieter all my adult life and SB is the best plan I've ever been on. It's so sensible and healthy. Even if you're not 100% on plan with it, you're still eating better than the average American. Just getting more fruits and veggies is a step ahead in getting healthier. It is really hard sometimes when everyone else is eating refined carbs and sugar.

I went out to a Mexican restaurant yesterday and had a lovely salad with black beans, grilled chicken, pico de gallo and salsa. It was tasty and satisfying. I had to tell the server to add only a Tbs. or so of cheese and put the guacamole on the side. I don't go to Chinese buffets, but maybe you can do the same thing with the food selections there. I have been on SB for over two years now, so it is getting to be second nature for me. I really feel better when I eat this way. Good for you on getting back on track! The gym sounds great!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:44 AM   #8  

Height: 5'8"

Hi Melanie,
I hear your struggle too. The thing about SB is that planning is essential. That's why I post on the On Plan thread every day - this morning, I planned what I will eat while I typed it out. And I know what you are talking about regarding the expense too. Frozen veggies are good, and sometimes I plan meals around what is on sale at the supermarket. Also, I do allow myself to cheat occasionally, but I usually plan it, so I know how to get back on track and make sure I have the foods around to do so.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #9  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Hi Melanie! Cyn is right, you know the plan as well as anyone. SBD is all about living and healthy eating -- so coming back to it is nothing to be ashamed of! Glad to have you back!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #10  
Healthy mommy

Mmm Murphmitch, the Mexican food sounded delicious, I have to try that next time me and DH are at our favorite Mexican restaurant. I like the huge peppers they have grilled with a bit of cheese on top. Yum!

Mckmellen, I definitely have to imitate you and start posting on the OP thread again! It's been awhile, and it would be good for me.

Thanks Jenne!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice, lord knows I can use it. Anyone that recognizes my name here knows I've had a lot of trouble sticking to OP. Hopefully this time, I will stay on the ball.