Old 04-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #1  
Metric Member

S/C/G: 140/120.3/90kg

Height: 163cm (5' 4")

Default Sleep is so important for me

Backstory: I'm not very good at falling asleep, and I have a terrible habit of waiting until completely exhausted before going to bed. I realised a few months ago that I couldn't remember the last time that I didn't feel tired. Seriously, it had been over a year since I could remember being fully awake. So, for about three weeks I focussed on getting to bed early and taking iron tablets. It didn't help much with the weary feeling, but I did lose weight really easily! 3kg (6.6lb) just fell off me.

Unfortunately, whilst I did go to the doctor to get some tests done (still waiting on results), I let myself slip back into my old sleep habits, and my weight loss has seriously stalled. Last night for the first time in ages I managed to get to bed at 10.30, and today, whilst I am still tired, I feel so much more able! Able to resist the chocolate in the tea room, able to make a proper dinner, able to go to the gym. It no longer feels like something to put off till tomorrow because I just can't today.

Anyone else have similar experiences?
Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #2  
fat-fighting ninja!

S/C/G: 276/seeticker/235

Height: 5'7

I have been like that for a couple of months and its awful... I should be tired but im not.. so for a bit i was taking melatonin(its the chemical released when about to sleep something along those lines anyways) and the same time every night for about 2 weeks and then now.. i fall asleep on my own.. i still have restless nights but there not as often as it used to be.. i feel for you!
2phatinvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:11 AM   #3  

Height: 6-1.5

Watch the iron, it's bad for you to take too much. Sleep is great. I really think it helps with weight loss
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:16 AM   #4  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

My body requires it for weight loss. From my perspective, it's like I'm always doing something, however I may consider it minor, it requires I keep my systems running on full blast all the time. It never gets to recharge so it hangs on to the weight, in anticipation of not getting enough sleep, just to make sure it has the ready fuel available for instant conversion into energy. Allow it to rest and the weight flows off.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #5  
Choose your hard...

S/C/G: 250/194/130

Height: 5' 2"

I have a problem with sleeping too much if I let myself. The sleep does seem to have an effect on my weight loss, but most the time I don't think it does. I have struggled with anemia since I was a baby. I got really sick and ever since I have had it off and on. I have had blood transfusions. I take iron regularly. It doesn't seem to help with the weight loss, but the vitamin supplement b12 seems to help me more. When I take it every few days I can tell a little difference. I have to take it too for anemia.

As the above poster said, I would be careful taking iron pills if your iron is in the normal range. I'm assuming there prescribed though, right? I get the iron pills with a prescription from my doctor. The vitamin b12 supplement also effects iron, but it's different then the actual iron pill and it's over the counter.

Last edited by Asherdoodles87; 04-09-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Asherdoodles87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #6  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I saw a direct correlation between weight gain and lack of sleep. I think that when my body was crying for more energy because of lack of sleep, my appetite was stronger. I have seen articles about this. Here is one from WebMD.

I sleep so much better now that I have lost weight. I probably should get to bed earlier though.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #7  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Sleep is when certain hormones are released that can influence weight loss.

So getting enough sleep is important when losing. Heck, important all the time!

I find turning everything OFF an hour before bed, taking a shower, and having chamomile tea helps relax me. I usually read a bit and fall asleep reading. My spouse shuts off the light when he goes to sleep.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #8  
No Matter What!

S/C/G: 264/257/145

This thread got me thinking - I have been lacking serious sleep lately and I seem to do it to myself. I simply stay up later than need be. Anyway, I read this thread last night and it motivated me to go to bed early. So I got a nice, full night of sleep and got on the scale this morning and I was down nearly 2 pounds! Thanks for the inspiration!
teensie3 is offline   Reply With Quote