General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:32 PM   #1  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Default When will the weight loss kick in? (Or will it ever?)

I've asked some variations of this in other threads, but now I'm really frustrated and need some advice.

I started my diet March 15th eating 700-800 calories each day (I know, I know). By March 28th I had lost just over 12 pounds, which I expected because of the initial shock to my body and water weight, so I wasn't by ANY means expecting that to continue.

Anyway, I realized that was a stupid plan (based on the advice of the lovely ladies here) and bumped up my calories to 1150-1450, which I have stayed within for the last 9 days and usually closer to 1200, and I haven't lost a single pound since.

Could I have pissed my body off so bad that I'm doomed to not lose on that many calories? Or will it just take a couple of weeks to kick in? By all the calculators, I should be losing about 2 pounds per week at this calorie range.

I haven't gone completely crazy yet and given up or anything. I've stayed in my range every day. I just want to know if I will truly never lose on these calories or if it's just a waiting game.

Last edited by ParadiseFalls; 04-06-2010 at 12:02 AM.
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:29 AM   #2  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Height: 5'6"

Smile Be patient with your body!

Hi ParadiseFalls,
(I'm a Florida girl too) Last year I lost 20 pounds and I did something that really helped me learn to be patient with my body: I bought a small calendar
with a "month view" and each morning I recorded my weight in that little box on the calendar. I weighed just before my first sip of coffee.

I began to see that my body had a schedule of its own for dropping pounds ... and a very irregular schedule it was. I also used a digital scale that showed even a .2 of a pound weight loss. Many days, that was all I saw ... a fraction of a pound lost. But overall, those small losses over about 5months added up to a 20 pound loss. After I was able to sustain that loss for the last 10 months, I am now ready to try for another 10-20 pound loss. I know it will be a journey, but every day adds up. Please take pride in your smallest losses, and you will make your goal. And do get that calendar and digital scale if you can ... they really helped me. I'll be watching for your posts!
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/154("Normal" BMI)

Yes, be patient! I also use a digital scale and record every day (well, except for this month where I'm taking a break from the scale)...the .2's allow you to see even the smallest drop (or jump) from the previous day...after a couple months, you will probably see a pattern that your body likes...for me, it seems like if I'm ON PLAN my weight will drop slowly for a couple days (average 1lb/week), then for no reason at all, it'll slowly rise for a couple days (only 2-3lbs max above that lowest point)...BUUUT, if I remain ON PLAN it starts dropping again and I see a new low...for some reason (I'm guessing my menstrual cycle) my body likes the roller coaster version of weight loss! haha....but since Sept, I've averaged 1lb/week, which isn't much, but it's a loss! I have to remind myself that the weight didn't appear over night and it's not going to leave over night!!!

Don't give up! Stick with it and I'm sure you'll see progress soon
KDM322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:49 AM   #4  
fat-fighting ninja!

S/C/G: 276/seeticker/235

Height: 5'7

Hey lady,

I still think your not eating enough.. I eat about 2000 calories a day and loose 3-4 pounds a week. and i am only 20 pounds lighter than you.. . Your body probably thinks its not going to get food and locks down... Try uping it more.. and see what happens.. good luck!
2phatinvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 177/142.6/134

Height: 5'5

Are you exercising at the same time? I was eating 1200 cals and not losing any weight until I started getting on the treadmill. Good luck!
tyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #6  
It's about time

Cglasscock1, that's a good idea. I might just do that calendar thing.

KDM322 I have been recording every day with the digital scale, and I think it's those .2s that are driving me insane! I goes up or down .2 or .4 every night, and it keeps bouncing around the same 2-pound range. ARGH!! lol

2phatinvictoria Are you exercising a lot? Because I'll admit I get very little exercise. I do workout videos a couple of times a week. I figure I can wait until I've lost a bit to start really working out.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:41 PM   #7  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I am going to chime in. I don't think you are eating enough calories - but I also think you are eating the wrong foods. Cereal, 100 calorie packs and smoothies are not the right place to get your calories from. Have one of those a day is fine - but only eating those a day is not - in my opinion (I am not an expert). You need protein and fibre, more veggies and fruit and defiantly some lean meat!

Try 1400-1800 calories a day even, full of fruits and veggie, lean meat - sandwiches, eggs, etc.

Last edited by sotypical; 04-06-2010 at 12:42 PM.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #8  
It's about time

sotypical, Yea, you're definitely right. I was doing well at first but I've sort of slacked off on the healthy stuff. I've been trying to just eat what I have in the apartment instead of buying groceries, and then I end up buying quick stuff like smoothies when I'm going to work. I've been so obsessed with not losing weight that I haven't been thinking about being healthy, just about staying in my calorie limit. I don't eat meat, but I need to start getting protein elsewhere.

But as far as calories will go, do you think it will make a difference with the weight loss if I eat the same number but better calories?

Also, (TMI alert) I think I've been subconsiously staying away from heavy foods because I've been...er...stopped up, and I know they'll add to the scale if I'm not...uh...getting rid of them. Lol.

Last edited by ParadiseFalls; 04-06-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

If you are purchasing smoothies from a store....then you could be getting HUNDREDS of non-nutritional calories...fat...sugar...goodness knows what!

And vegetables and fruit and good food with plenty of protein and FIBER and some fat and some carbs etc. WILL NOT cause constipation. Junk food will do that.

Try eating better. It's not just calories. Nutrition is important. Eat more calories of good things and your body will use what it needs and the rest will pass through. Especially if you exercise. If you are sedentary, then go for a short walk every day. Even a 10 minute walk will help get your metabolism andyour digestive system moving. The more you do, in little bits at a time, the more you will be able to do.

I hope that doesn't sound like I'm giving you a butt chewing...it isn't meant to hurt, but rahter to help and give you perspective.

Barb

Last edited by angelskeep; 04-06-2010 at 12:58 PM.
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #10  
It's about time

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelskeep View Post
I hope that doesn't sound like I'm giving you a butt chewing...it isn't meant to hurt, but rahter to help and give you perspective.
Not at all! And I need a nice kick in the butt, it seems. I'm still annoyed that I'm not losing, but hopefully it'll kick in soon. In the mean time, I'll try to eat better.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #11  
Starting Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseFalls View Post
But as far as calories will go, do you think it will make a difference with the weight loss if I eat the same number but better calories?
Yes, I think it will make a huge difference. But I think eating BETTER and MORE calories will make an even BIGGER difference.

I am going to say this again - when I started I was not eating enough and wasn't losing at all. I started eating MORE and started losing weight. You do not have to starve!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/154("Normal" BMI)

another thing that helps me is weighing ONCE a day! I know it's hard...but pick a time of the day that you're home every day and weigh at that time wearing the same thing (or nothing at all) every day...the numbers will move constantly throughout the day if you're always jumping on every time you're near the scale! lol I used to do this when I first started weighing every day...just to see what it'd say, but then it'd drive me crazy! Sooo, pick a time and stick to it! Then, give it time (atleast 2wks) before you worry too much about no loss...depending on what you eat the day before, the weight could go up 2-3lbs over night, from my experience...

I also agree with the others....I think you may need more calories...according to a calorie calculator (http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm) at your height, age, weight, & exercising 3x/week, it says you need about 2300cal/day for fat loss...maybe up yours to 16-1800?? I had to play around with the numbers before I found a good number and it was usually right around the number the calculators gave me (as you lose weight, you'll probably want to adjust to keep the weight loss going) it's an entirely personal journey...we're all different...our bodies like different things...find what works for you and stick w/it
KDM322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:21 PM   #13  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Ditto everyone who is telling you you are not eating enough. Your body is probably in reserve mode from the 700-800 cals and now it is reserving everything you put in it. You can see my stats (I am very active so make the appropriate adjustments for you) and I'm eating and average of 1600-1700 cals and losing 1-4 lbs per week. I also second freedieting.com. When you do find the right calorie level it might take time to see the loss start again because your metabolism is going to need time to bounce back.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #14  
It's about time

Ok, I guess it's time to try adding more calories. I thought bumping it up to 1200-1400 would be enough, but I did that for a week and it's not working, so I'm moving up to 1600-1800. If that doesn't work, well...I guess I'll have to try something else.

I think my big hesitation with eating more calories was a combination of the fact that I feel like I should be hungry to lose weight. That's the only thing I've ever done in the past to lose weight (haha, and look how that turned out) so I feel like if I'm not hungry I'm not doing it right.

And I keep remembering this blog I read once that was talking about how "stupid fat girls" always say, "I think I'm not getting enough calories, so that must be why I'm not losing weight." And the blogger was ranting about something like, "Trust me, no fat girl is fat because she's not eating enough," and I guess it really stuck with me.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #15  
Cute and Chubby

S/C/G: 205/ticker/150

I sort of feel your pain. I am eating about 1500-1800 calories now. Before I used to eat fast food for lunch and dinner- and HUGE portions. I haven't touched fast food in about a month and I've only lost 5 lbs. I also exercise more than I ever did and everything.
MikoMarcia is offline   Reply With Quote