South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 131/131/113

Height: 5'2"

Default Will I never succeed??

I started SB 2 weeks ago (again!), and did pretty well the first 10 days, only lost a few pounds but I'm not trying to lose a huge amount of weight. So, I start slipping.....a few handfuls of popcorn, a protein bar, etc.....until yesterday, when I found my self shoveling cookies and chocolate into my mouth. Ok, so I decide to start again today, but, too late....I've already eaten several chocolate candies and a muffin. I had really decided that this was the summer that I would feel comfortable in summer clothes but it doesn't appear that it's going to happen. I recently read an article that said that fatty foods can cause a cocaine-like addiction, and that's exactly how I feel. What am I going to do???
uppercaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #2  
Motivated for Success!!

Height: 5'7"

Wow, cocaine-like addiciton huh? Thats crazy, but I definitely believe it. I've also heard that carbs are a natural anti-depressant. I find if I have a specific goal it's easier for me to stay on track, like for example my ten year hs reunion is this summer. If you don't have anything big coming up maybe try eliminating all tempting/bad foods from your house so you don't have a choice other than eating healthy. Also, when you're tempted, come here first and post about it! I find that these ladies are a complete motivator for sucess and are extremely supportive! Good Luck to you! I know you can do it!
KellyEnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: maintaining

I did my own slipping this past week. What I gather from you post, it started small then escalated - I can relate. This may not be the answer you want, but I think you should go back to PH1 until you can get through clean with no cravings. Then add back slowly, so slowly. And I agree with Kelly about coming here for support and motivation. Also, join the challenge starting tomorrow and pick something you have trouble with. Maybe it will also help with motivation to have public accountability. Good luck!
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

By most standards, I fail on my food plan regularly, and yet still managed to lose 80 lbs (taking a lot longer to do it, than I would have preferred).

I'm not trying to fail. I'm not excusing my mistakes, I'm just saying that success is often more a matter of persistance more than of perfection.

Keep picking yourself up, and keep working at keeping problem foods out of your diet (or confined to a situation in which you have better control of them).

It's possible, but you've got to "relearn" what it means to diet. It's normal to view a slip as a reason to binge until a start-over time (tomorrow, on Monday, on the first of the month, at the first of the year.....). But normal isn't right. It's normal to abandon a weight loss attempt (usually because of feelings of failure rather than true failure). People usually don't quit because they aren't losing wieght, but because they aren't losing fast enough, or because they feel they're making too many mistakes.

Commitment to the effort, even when I feel like I'm not doing very well is really the only reason I've lost 80 lbs, "this time" because staying off plan is not an option I've given myself. And I don't mean that in a punishing way, it's just even after a poor choice - often even in the middle of a poor choice, I remind myself of my goals.

I need to prevent the poor choices in the first place, and I'll lose a lot more rapidly, but it's still a vast improvement from the days when eating a bite of off-plan potato gave me permission to chow down chocolate until the next "start-over" period.

Last edited by kaplods; 04-05-2010 at 02:39 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 131/131/113

Height: 5'2"

Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement. Kaplods - you're absolutely right, it's all about perseverance....we all fail sometimes....I'm just afraid because I know myself so well. For me (as with lots of you), moderation with sweets simply isn't possble, no matter how many times I delude myself, thinking THIS time I can control it....not! So, tomorrow's a new day, but that doesn't mean I can't start back on plan NOW, right??!!!
uppercaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:04 PM   #6  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

failing sucks but take it as a learning opportunity and get right back on the horse. Little by little, mini-goal by mini-goal, we can do it!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #7  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Best Wishes! Hop back on plan!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:55 AM   #8  

Height: 5'8"

Agree with everything everyone said. Just strategically also, are these foods in your home? If so, they are probably too easy to get to.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote