South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #1  
Always Learning

Height: 5'5"

Default Phase 1 Veggies

Hello Everyone,

Its been a long time, but, I'm back! Since my last post I've moved..again. And gone through some issues, not all of which are over but I'm SO TIRED of my excuses :P

I do have a question, I tabulated my groceries for 1/2 a week and was shocked to see how much I was spending on vegetables. So, anyone have any tips to spending less of veggies? I'll be shopping at the warehouse style store next time so I expect it to be WAY cheaper but I could use some help selecting "in season" (its...like...winter...is anything in season?) veggies that are phase one friendly and any recs on how to prepare are greatly appreciated!
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:00 AM   #2  
Be happy.

I use a lot of frozen vegetables. They're less expensive, there's less waste and there's nearly the same nutrition as fresh. I steam mine and they're ready quickly and taste great. I get my store brand and I'm just as happy with them as with the name brands. Our WalMart sells huge bags of Birdseye Blends and we LOVE those. My favorite is the Normandy blend but we've liked everyone we've tried and the price is excellent.

I buy most of my fresh vegetables according to what's in season or on special. I live in rural New England and the farmers markets don't sell fresh produce during the winter/early spring so I'm stuck with grocery store prices. I have found that since I'm spending less money on things like soda and chips and prepackaged things I can afford to spend a little more on fruits and vegetables than I used to and still end up with a reasonable grocery bill.

My big splurge is red peppers. No matter what they cost I buy at least one big, meaty one every week because I love them with my hummus.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:24 AM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Here is another thread on the general topic:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sout...ghlight=budget

Like Heidi I shop sales and buy frozen this time of year. When I can I load up at sale times. For example, I have a cool hall and bought several heads of cabbage around St. Patrick's day. I also stalk the markdown produce bins. If I see a couple of bags of spinach I cook them as soon as I get home to extend their shelf life. Same with anything I can roast. That also makes the work week easier. For long term planning I actually bought a small chest freezer and freeze and dry a lot of local veggies when they are in season. I know that won't work for everyone but it's been great for us.

I started sprouting this winter because we were desperate for something fresh. Mung beans, radish seeds, and lentils are really easy to sprout in a regular jar and can be used for lots of things. DW likes to throw handfuls into her omelets, mix in salads, and as a snack with hummus.

ETA - this time of year frozen veggies actually are better nutritionally then veggies brought in from far away. They lose more nutrients while being transported than in the time most companies take to freeze them.

Last edited by CyndiM; 04-02-2010 at 06:25 AM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:34 AM   #4  

S/C/G: maintaining

I have to admit that I don't worry that much about what I spend on veggies since I have so much trouble getting enough in and much prefer fresh. I will do frozen when I have too and also get things on sale when I can. I by many of them at Costco. They have had great green beans lately and their colored peppers are a bargain. And as Heidi said, I am spending less on other stuff. And I try to choose any meat menus based on what is on sale each week. But those veggies I just have to get so that is where I am willing to splurge.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #5  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Heidi - do you have ethnic markets by you? The best advice I got was to hit the Asian market for veggies and tofu. I was shocked: fruit and veggies were nearly 1/2 price as was the tofu!!!! That, along with the other advice the girls have given above, has helped me!

I spend about $25-30 at the Asian market on veggies for a week for 2, versus about $50 at the grocery store. I always check circulars too!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #6  
Be happy.

Jenn, I live in Hanover, population 251 (as of the 2000 census).
I go one or two towns over to grocery shop, but they're small communities, too, so I don't have a lot of shopping options.

We do like hit the Korean markets near (Fort) Devens when we visit my parents in Massachusetts though.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #7  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

bwahahahaha - I meant to type the questions to 8675309 but it came out as Heidi -
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #8  
Be happy.

Well, it was good advice for either of us. Thank you.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #9  
Always Learning

Height: 5'5"

Jenn - I happen to live near quite a few of asian markets, one is right beside my work so I'll check there when I run out of veg!
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote