Old 03-31-2010, 04:23 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 5

Default Ground Turkey Greasy Taste

I've used ground turkey in some recipes but it seems like everything I make with it just has a greasy taste from the ground turkey. I'm using 93/7 and draining it but I can't seem to get the greasy taste out of it. Does anyone have any helpful ideas on this?
Mary1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 280/274/190

Height: 5'11

I rinse mine after cooking, but I'm not sure how much that will help with the greasy taste, I don't know if I've noticed it.
I'll be checking it out next time I cook it though
Nadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 193.0/185.0/140.0

Height: 5'1

The last thing I would think is that ground turkey would be greasy. I usually have to add some grape seed oil to it so it isn't so dry. If I don't I have to listen to my husband whine about how dry turkey is.. I only use the breast 99% fat free one though so maybe that is why. Try the 99% lean one and you may find it is not greasy..

Cheers!

Ronnie
RonnieAdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I dont usually post int his forum, but I think maybe I can help with your question. The 93/7 has dark meat in it as well as white meat. Try the kind that is white meat only, it's so much better, has a better texture, much firmer than the other and is not so "pasty". I despise the kind that has the dark meat in it. EWWW! I gave up years ago because I didn't know there was a difference...no idea that there was the white meat or breast only too. I tried it again a few weeks ago when I started counting calories, and got the "right" kind this time and we are really liking it for burgers, meatloaf and I even made some salisbirdie (salsibury) steak the other day that was AWESOME!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 196/180/140

Make sure you are using ground turkey breast. It will make a huge difference. Like Ronnie said it is 99% fat free and is a bit dry, but it has a nice flavor and is an extremely lean meat.
karla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #6  

Height: 5' 5

Very nice advice everyone. I didn't realize there was a difference either. When I asked about the ground turkey at MRC they said as long as it's 90 or above it'd be fine. The pasty factor is a turn off as well. Where do you find the 99% FF all white meat? Should it be in the same area?
Mary1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 210/209/174

Height: 5ft 10

I don't always use ground turkey for recipes like burgers. Sometimes I'll just whizz up turkey breasts in a food processor (for a very short time, you should see small pieces rather than a complete mush). If I'm adding something like herbs or spices I'll blend it together. It works well and generally tastes nicer, but the ground turkey I can get here doesn't usually specify its origin so it probably isn't made solely from breast meat anyway.

Last edited by lora m; 04-01-2010 at 10:56 AM.
lora m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

In my area, both the super walmart and albertsons carry the breeast only white meat ground turkey stuff. It's by the other turkey products. Our brand is honeysuckle white, but I think Jenni-o also makes it. You just have to make sure it says turkey breast, not ground turkey, and it will def. be more than 93% lean.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #9  
Workin' It

Watch out for the ground turkey brand "Honeysuckle White" - it isn't actually all white meat turkey.

I get mine at Target, Publix, Kroger, Wal Mart. Jennie-O makes one that is often cobranded with coupons for The Biggest Loser that I find at Target. Kroger & Publix sell their own packaged and usually also have a Perdue or Jennie-O version.

Getting the all white turkey breast will definitely cut the greasy taste and feel. I don't get any of it with mine.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #10  
Gunz

S/C/G: 192/171/145

Height: 5'5

Default Turkey Burgers

I have made Turkey Breast Burgers once so far. They were so dry that i could hardly eat. What solution can i use for this?
MGunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #11  

Have any of you tried the turkey meatballs from the cookbook? I changed the ingredients a bit to my liking & removed the chili powder but added Mrs. Dash Italian Medley seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, chopped bell peppers & green onions. They are delicious. If you bake spaghetti squash & then "scrape it out" (you get a pasta like consistency). This meal has replaced our weekly spaghetti & meatball dinner.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #12  
Gunz

S/C/G: 192/171/145

Height: 5'5

Default Spaghetti Squash

Ok i am not much of a cook but am quickly learning. Can you buy Spaghettie Squash in the frozen food selection or do you have to slice it your self... Going to try it this weekend
MGunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #13  

I buy it whole in the produce section. Cut it in half. Take out all of the seeds & loose "guts". lol. Put it in the oven on a cookie sheet for an hour, but spray it with Pam first. After it has cooked for an hour then scrape it out with a fork. Enjoy
Old 04-03-2010, 02:49 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 283/199/157

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by karla View Post
I buy it whole in the produce section. Cut it in half. Take out all of the seeds & loose "guts". lol. Put it in the oven on a cookie sheet for an hour, but spray it with Pam first. After it has cooked for an hour then scrape it out with a fork. Enjoy
Hi Karla. When I was a kid, I hated yellow squash and yams and sweet potatoes. They actually made me barf! So, my question is about the spaghetti squash...Does it taste like yellow squash? I am afraid to try it! Silly, I know, but childhood memories are VERY powerful! I have not seen it in the produce section where I live. Just wondering...
Marianne
champagneblond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #15  
Im bringing SEXY back!!!!

S/C/G: 285.5/259.5/150

Height: 4'11 (Man Im Short)

I cant stand the smell of spaghettis squash!!!! I just manage to use zucchini cut in thin strips
motengirl is offline   Reply With Quote