Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 05:26 AM   #1  
PRINCESS WITH A PLAN

Height: 5'5

Post Anybody eles...Lactose intolerent..?

Just curious i wanted to know if you stay away from it completly or do you do what i do and take the lacose pill.
Also What other foods make you have symtoms just recently i found out that spinach and broccoli also have lactose in it. which explain a lot..

Lately my body has been acting up meaning i cant eat any dairy without feeling like i wanna die later. I know there is lactose foods but in all honesty im affraid to eat it just in case i do get sick. I personally wont drink milk ever i am forever scared because of so many bad experience when i was younger and didnt know about the whole lactose intolerent thing...
Old 03-31-2010, 07:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/207.2/126

Height: 5'4.5

I've noticed that I don't get symptoms until I've had a decent amount. It seems to be dependent on lactose content and quantity, so I don't have any problems eating a slice of pepper jack cheese but CANNOT eat goat cheese. I'm too cheap to buy the lactase pill, so I just bear through the pain. I drink soy milk instead of cow milk, but I still use cow milk to cook with and have not had symptoms yet.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I recently tried cutting dairy out of my diet completely in an attempt to deal with (for lack of a better term) tummy troubles. Since doing so I've felt much better. I switched to either soy or almond milk with my cereal and otherwise I just make a point of avoiding cheese/butter/yogurt etc. I've not taken the lactose pill, because I honestly would rather play safe than risk it. That being said I am having a hard time getting rid or ALL dairy because I live on my college campus and have a meal plan, and God only knows what they put into my food. For the most part I listen to my body, if I eat something and it makes my stomach hurt (even if I'm not sure if there is dairy in it or not), then I avoid it. The main thing for me was to cut out the biggies, and as a former dairy lover, it was surprisingly easy!
Old 04-09-2010, 08:53 AM   #4  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

I'm also lactose intolerant. I find I'm ok if I just stick with my 1/2 to 3/4 cup or milk on my cereal in the morning, but I can not drink a whole glass of milk alone, even if I take 2 or 3 lactase enzyme tablets with it. I also find that cheeses are ok, as well as yogurt, but can only eat ice cream about once a week without having issues. I used to be able to use the lactase tablets successfully, but now, it seems as if they don't work as well. I have also had digestive issues from another problem, so I think it's made me more sensitive to the lactose, too. I did try soy milk and "ice cream" but got sick from the soy, so I just avoid dairy most of the time and try to get my calcium and vitamin D from supplements.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #5  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I used to have very severe IBS and now it's much better ~ I can eat hard cheeses like old cheddar and mozzarella; plus yogurt (Source) and yogurt ice cream without any problems, but I do measure the servings (ie about 1-2 oz cheese and 1/3-1/2 cup of yogurt or yogurt ice cream).

I can have Parmesan or Romano Cheese on things like Pizza too with no problem (1-2 tbl). I can eat cheese slices and processed cheese too, but I usually have only a small amount at a time (ie one slice or a tbl) ...

For my cereal I can use homemade skim milk made with the powdered skim milk (it tastes best after being chilled) without any of the IBS symptoms, but I do still get the conjestion issue from it for an hour or so, but that isn't too bad, so I can live with that a couple times a week (the rest of the time, I have eggs/toast or something else for breakfast).

However, I cannot eat regular ice cream (esp chocolate for some reason) or I get the runs and pain and gas within 1-2 hours of eating it; and I learned that again last Saturday night.

I haven't tried the pills, but my MIL has and finds they help her ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 04-09-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #6  
PRINCESS WITH A PLAN

Height: 5'5

Thanks for all your help i was very helpful... Im gonna stick with the pills and stay away ice cream even though its hard to do my stomach will appreciate the rest.. lol

Last edited by TIARA; 04-09-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Closed Thread