Old 03-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 176/176/140

Height: 5'5

Exclamation Day 2 on Metabolic: Hungry, Depressed, & Frustrated

Okay. I am 16 years old, 5'5, and 176 pounds. I have hypothyroidism (diagnosed when I was 13) but for the past 2 years, it has been treated incompetently. I'm still kinda bitter about that. As a result, I have gone from 140 to my current weight. I got a new doctor who finally put me where I'm supposed to be, but I want the weight off. My goal is to get back where I was.

I started MRC a week or so ago, completed preconditioning on Sunday and started on the yellow menu yesterday. It's rough! Breakfast is okay; I can do that. Dinner works for me, too. But lunch is horrible! 8 oz. of salad without dressing!? I had to choke it down yesterday. Plus, that's when I'm hungriest--in the middle of the day. I cheated yesterday and I have today, too. Just picking at things; bagels, tortillas, dry cereal, etc. and I can't get away from putting just a little bit of milk in my decaf coffee. And I feel awful for doing it.

My parents are tight on money right now, so coughing up $300+ wasn't easy. I'm having to earn half the fee just to be able to do it. I've tried every diet out there with no success and my mom has been there with me through everything. She's my angel. And I'm cheating!!! I feel like I'm betraying her and I know I'm cheating myself. I know the program will work if I work it, and I know I can do it, but I don't trust myself. Food is emotional for me.

Last edited by Durosa; 03-30-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Durosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #2  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durosa View Post
Okay. I am 16 years old, 5'5, and 176 pounds. I have hypothyroidism (diagnosed when I was 13) but for the past 2 years, it has been treated incompetently. I'm still kinda bitter about that. As a result, I have gone from 140 to my current weight. I got a new doctor who finally put me where I'm supposed to be, but I want the weight off. My goal is to get back where I was.

I started MRC a week or so ago, completed preconditioning on Sunday and started on the yellow menu yesterday. It's rough! Breakfast is okay; I can do that. Dinner works for me, too. But lunch is horrible! 8 oz. of salad without dressing!? I had to choke it down yesterday. Plus, that's when I'm hungriest--in the middle of the day. I cheated yesterday and I have today, too. Just picking at things; bagels, tortillas, dry cereal, etc. and I can't get away from putting just a little bit of milk in my decaf coffee. And I feel awful for doing it.

My parents are tight on money right now, so coughing up $300+ wasn't easy. I'm having to earn half the fee just to be able to do it. I've tried every diet out there with no success and my mom has been there with me through everything. She's my angel. And I'm cheating!!! I feel like I'm betraying her and I know I'm cheating myself. I know the program will work if I work it, and I know I can do it, but I don't trust myself. Food is emotional for me.

Hi Durosa, Yes, you can do this, but I know it is rough, especially for a teen, no doubt. As for your salad, you can have some type of dressing (vinegar & oil, greek, Walden Farms). Personally, I think the cooked veggies are a little easier to do, but you lose faster on fresh. I have Subway buffalo chicken salad often with vinegar and oil -- and I lose. Just remember, get it done -- it won't be forever. And you can make a few exceptions, but not too many! I wish you great success. Your guilt will hold you back and de-rail you, but if you can just get a little success under your belt, the guilt will vanish. That is what I will hope for you. --Joy2MeNu
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #3  

Height: 5'6''

Durosa - don't eat 8oz of salad dry...ugh, you'll burn out quick on that. For the last few months I've been eating a lettuce-free salad. It's chopped cucumber and green pepper with some cherry tomatoes. Weight it out and carry it like that. I use a Wishbone spritzer salad dressing (which is totally allowed). I like several flavors, but I buy the balsamic breeze most often. Spray that on the salad and eat up. It's much much better that way. Even when I eat a lettuce salad, I use that dressing. I'll be honest...I'm pretty liberal with my use of it too...it has a serving size, but to tell you the truth, I'd rather be able to eat the salad will a little more dressing than not be able to eat it.

Sometimes I put tuna on that salad and sometimes I put my cottage cheese in it. That plus a serving of fruit and MRC vanilla pudding or jello HNS and I stay pretty full. Afternoons are my hardest time too.

If you just HAVE to pick at something...try to do it with a protein or a veggie and not a big carb (like the cereal, bagels and tortillas you mentioned). You'll get through the snacky-picky cravings soon. Those first weeks are the hardest, but if you can do without picking, you'll get used to it quicker. When i pick at stuff, my body learns to expect that the next day.

Drink lots and lots of water. I mean LOTS. And get some sugar-free gum. If you feel like you have to pick at something snacky between meals, drink a big drink of water and chew a piece of gum. That might help a little too.

Stay with us here and we'll help ya get the hang of it. Feel free to ask whatever you'd like. We're here to help BIG congrats to you for taking care of this while you're 16. I wish I had.
Hvnlymzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/135/130

Height: 5'2"

I make the Dijonnaise dressing from the cookbook and I REALLY like it...

2 TBS Cider vinegar
2 TBS Olive oil
2 TBS Dijonnaise
2 pkg. sweetener
Mix and use 2 Tbs on your salad.

PS...I don't know about other people's menus, but mine doesn't have cucumbers on it...
katwmn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:21 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 320/ticker/197

I use the spritzer dressing too.. in Ranch.. I love it. I usually eat more veggies than salad. Cucumbers are my favorite. I have no problem eating 8 oz of those. Try to find heavier veggies to add to your salad. It'll help take away some of the lettuce.

I second snacking on protein. I usually keep a couple sticks of cheese in the work fridge. In case i get hungry in the afternoon, that's a much better snack than carbs.

Hang in there. The first few weeks are the hardest. Once you get to the green menu, you'll feel better. Make sure to drink your HNS's and TONS of water.. Keep a bottle of water with you at all times.. Also maybe talk to your center about MetaBalance plan. I know people lose slower on it, but it keeps you fuller..

Good Luck!!! Don't expect perfection. Try to do your best. One meal at a time..
MEEZOOGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:29 AM   #6  

Kat - I'm sure that your menu is quite different than mine as I out weigh you by quite a bit. I never got my weight low enough last time to lose cucumbers. I always forget the differences like that one. Thanks for the reminder.

Of course...Durosa, read your menu carefully and don't eat fruits or veggies that aren't allowed.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:30 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 187/See Ticker/134

Height: 5'4"

There is also a recipe for ranch dressing in the cookbook. Basically it's a dry packet of Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix and I think it's 8oz of cottage cheese and blended until smooth. Serving size it one or two tablespoons. For salads I try to weigh it down with cucumbers or tomatoes rather than lettuce because I don't like lettuce. On my yellow menu I wasn't allowed tomatoes, but I don't think it would hurt and it seems like a lot of people here were allowed tomatoes.
The green menu gets a lot better, so try to stick it through, you don't have that much longer to go till green!
desilu0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:15 AM   #8  

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate it. I'm feeling much better today than yesterday (I talked to my mom) and I'm not so depressed.

The salad dressing options sound great; I'll definitely try the spritzers. I weighed the scale down yesterday with snap peas, which are significantly easier to choke down than raw spinach. :P I'm also drinking water and decaf coffee like it's going out of style; keeps me full.

About the HNS...I tried the lemon/pink lemonade flavored powder mix. It's okay. Can anybody recommend a flavor they just love?

Thanks again, everybody. It feels great to know there are so many other people out here who feel the same way and are going through the same stuff. I'm 2 days in and 2 lbs. down.

I know I can do it. I also know I can't do it alone. I simply don't have the strength, discipline or desire. I'm really gonna have to rely on God in this area, which, honestly is not something I'm used to doing. I'm pretty self-sufficient; always have been. I've been very blessed in many ways. There are very few things I can't do if I just set my mind to it. However, this is one of those things I just can't. So...If you are the praying kind, please keep me in your prayers. I'm gonna need all I can get.

Last edited by Durosa; 03-31-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:29 AM   #9  

Aww Durosa, congrats on your loss so far!! Thats great. I'm definitely a praying kinda girl, so I'll remember to add you to mine

As far as the HNS drinks go...I like the grape concentrate, kiwi melon concentrate, the orange concentrate is good and I have the lemon powder as well. When they let you add creamy drinks in, there is a cappucino and a hot cocoa that you might like in your coffee. Can only do those once a day though.

Keep up the good work, and you're not doing this alone. You've got a bunch of friends here, your center, your Mom and God...hun, thats quite a team!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:36 AM   #10  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

Durosa -- WOW 2 lbs in 2 days. That is just fantastic! Praying!
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:31 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197.5/169/151

Height: 5'3"

I was a huge snacker, and that was the hardest thing for me. I discovered that a few days without piecing, and I no longer craved as badly. Not to say that I never do, but they are less severe!

Some snacky ideas I use are coming to you soon. When you can have creamies, the soy mini crisps are a great one. They are tiny little bits of crunch. I will have a few pieces throughout the day! Makes them last longer, and makes my brain think it is getting something forbidden!

Hang in there kiddo. YOU are worth it!
Laurlitaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 312/281/165

Height: 5'11.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durosa View Post
About the HNS...I tried the lemon/pink lemonade flavored powder mix. It's okay. Can anybody recommend a flavor they just love?
I actually really like the lemon/pink lemonade. In addition though, I have found the pineapple and fruit punch are really good too. The fruit punch is a concentrate and tastes just like Tropical Punch Kool-Aid.

I usually buy 1 box in a new flavor everytime I get HNS's so I can try it. Then if I like it, I know to buy more the next time.

Personally, I don't care for the Kiwi or the Cranberry Tea. I'm not a coffee fan, but the hot cocoa is one of the best hot cocoas I think I've had!
megsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:46 PM   #13  

Thank you guys so much for the encouragement and recommendations!

Yeah, I tried the grape concentrate when I was in the center, and I really liked it...not sure why I didn't get it...But I will next time!

I'm holding on by a thread. It feels so...weird to hope again; It's been so long since I have. Really have, anyway. I've been burned so many times these past two years, I guess I'm just afraid to. Don't want to get my heart broken and my dreams crushed yet again...Ha. I'm a skeptic at the ripe old age of 16...Wow...But I've learned so much just from going through **** with this thyroid-mess. About God, myself, other people and how I relate to both. I wouldn't trade what I've learned for anything, but I must admit, I do wish I might have been allowed to learn it via another, less painful method. Ah, well.

So thanks for the prayers. Like I said, I'm gonna need 'em. ;P

Last edited by Durosa; 03-31-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:52 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 320/ticker/197

I like the orange, fruit punch and grape concentrates.. Personally I do not like the powder drinks. They always taste gritty to me. I love the Hot Cocoa. Once you can have creamies, the puddings are good too..

Great job so far.. None of us can go it alone.. That's why this forum is so great. No one to judge you.. Just supportive people.
MEEZOOGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:36 PM   #15  

Durosa - most of us have been there. If we took a show of hands for how many of us were overweight 16 year-olds, you'd see ALOT of hands around here. It sucks to be an overweight woman, but even more to be an overweight high school student. When i was in school i was pretty sure there was only 1 girl bigger than me...and I dealt with all the crap that goes along with being fat. The teasing and bad looks (most in middle school) then no looks at all in high school. I could go on and on, but it's nothing most of us aren't already familiar with.

I WISH i'd had MRC at your age...learned how to take care of myself. You've got a medical issue you're fighting against, I only had my bad habits and lack of self control. Whatever the case is, it's a hard fight. Stick with us and we'll stick with you.