Old 03-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

Height: 5'5"

Default Freezer Friendly Recipes

I work second shift and I have a lot of other things going on in my days so I don't have time to cook my dinner to bring to work. I'm trying to get away from frozen prepared meals because I just think they're not that good for you so I'm thinking maybe I could cook a couple of things on Sundays and freeze individual portions to bring to work each day, any ideas for things that freeze and reheat really well? I only have a microwave at work to reheat with too....
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:24 AM   #2  
it's always something

I make vegetarian chili and freeze it by the cupful in freezer bags. It takes a little time to prepare, but the last batch I made came out to 19 servings so that made it worth it I put a bag in the fridge at night and by lunch time it's thawed and easy to pour into a pyrex bowl to microwave. My chili is just crushed tomatoes (Muir Glen fire roasted), red peppers, onions, and a couple of different types of beans - and a special smoky bbq powder that I order from www.worldspice.com.

I freeze a lot of foods. I find that most things reheat better if I put them in the fridge the night before.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've found soups do fairly well although you might get sick of soups

What I generally do is cook meals for 3 days or so and serve those as lunch/dinners. I usually cook a large batch of rice and some bean or lentil type dish. I also will keep frozen green beans in the freezer because those heat easily in the microwave.

So basically I end up cooking 2 or 3 nights per week which covers lunches/dinners throughout the week.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 157/150.8/130

Height: 5'3"

I am definately going to try the freezing the soup idea. Not really sure what else you could freeze to be honest but I know that you can freeze bread and if you toast it it comes out really nice...so I'm guessing if you freeze muffins (not the store bought ones but the ones you would make at home - with like flax seed and rye four and berries and stuff) could probably be frozen.
5factorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Actually most things freeze well except if they are veggies that you expect to keep crisp which is why soups do well in the freezer. Beans do really well in the freezer. Tofu actually changes texture when frozen but I know a lot of people freeze tofu because they like the texture better.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Any of the grains...quinoa, bulgur, rice, couscous freeze well too. You can pre-portion them and freeze in containers, then do the same with all kinds of roasted veg, and just grab a couple of containers and nuke 'em. Easy breezy!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:29 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 157/150.8/130

Height: 5'3"

Thanks Barb! I am going to have to try that!
5factorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote