Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 03:54 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Thumbs down Steel Magnolias #190

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

I woke up to the pitter patter rain on the roof. By the time I got out of bed it has stopped. We may get some real rain this week from that tropical storm in the Baja region this week. One can always hope. The man just left from installing the Directv set up that I got Cowboy for his birthday. I fell into such a deal. Installation was free, the box and system was free all I have to do is pay the monthly feel. Such a deal! I did have to supply the tripod that the little dish sits on since it isn't mounted on this trailer. But that was an easy item to find for good ole Radio Shack in town had just the one needed. I can see right now I need to cut my nails for they are starting to get in my way of typing.

BUBBLES CONGRATULATIONS on that 2.4 gone. You are knocking them off regular now and that must feel great. Girlfriend it will be awhile before I report my maiden voyage on that bicycle. I had it in my head that I could just get on a bike and ride - NOT. I am so out of shape and stiff that I have to get in shape before I can even ride it. I remember that when I got my first Nordic Track Ski Machine I could only do 2 minutes at a time for awhile before I ever did work up to that 20 minutes each session. No, the man didn't tell me which gears to keep it in while learning. Got any suggestions? Remember I have to be going forward to change them and so far I haven't gone forward. I am just going to have to practice gettin' on the thing...... I really thought I could just get on and ride. Bummer. Now I guess I had better get the Richard Simmons videos out that have to do with stretching and limbering up. I can probably have enough room in here to do those.

BRENDA I am so sorry to hear that you were down in the funk last week. Maybe that gain was a good wake up call? You can do this thing and you know it! So get to it girlfrined grab hold of our hands and lets all walk this road together.

JEAN I would shure like to send those scales to Iowa. That sure messes with a persons head when they do that. They are supposed to be calabrated regularly..... wonder when the last time that set got checked. Makes me not want to go back there for a weigh in when my meeting doesn't meet again though. I will hate it if I show a gain this coming Monday if that 3 pounds wasn't really what I should have shown as a loss.

Have a good afternoon all.
Old 09-04-2002, 07:53 PM   #2  

Thanks Maggie,
I had to weigh in again tonight for the hospital class and was down another .6. I don't know what's going on, but I ain't complainin!
Re: the bike. The Manual should tell you where to set the gears. I suspect they're already set in the middle range, which is where you want them to be. For me, still, the hardest thing about the bike is getting on and off. There's enough of me that there isn't a whole lot of space between the seat and the handle bar post. I've found that for me, leaning the bike toward me as far as I need to, then swinging my leg over and onto the ground on the other side works best. The first time I rode mine I didn't go more than a mile or so.........we finally worked up to 7 miles and my biking buddy got sick. It really makes me sad, and I'm terribly worried about her. She's been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis, and is in constant pain. Whatever they're giving her doesn't seem to be helping much. She's wasting away to nothing. Now she has thrush in her mouth too. Y'all say a prayer for her. She sees the Rheumatologist tomorrow.

Jimmy's begging to go out. Guess I'd best pay attention so I dont' have to clean up a mess.

Later,
Bubs
Old 09-05-2002, 05:42 PM   #3  

Thumbs up HOT!

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It is HOT, HOT, Hot, in my corner of the world and it is supposed to be hotter tomorrow. Every school around us got out early today but we stuck it out the whole day. We are getting out at 1:30 tomorrow though -- wish it were 11:30 instead! Actually, we should have the whole day off for all the hot days we have had to sit in classrooms with stinky kids!

I didn't make it to the computer last night. For some reason I was just plain tired and went to bed early. It feels like it might be another early night tonight too.

Brenda -- I think we've all experienced the emotions and excessive eating that you spoke of. I hope you are feeling better by now! You can get rid of that pesky 7#s with some effort . . . I know you can do it! {{HUGS}}

Bubs -- CONGRATULATIONS on 2.4#s that are gone FOREVER! What is sad about the young girls having babies is that they will raise them just like they were raised and without any parenting skills, that is a tough job. Our school nurse has tried to start a support group for the young mothers but they either don't come at all or are reluctant to participate once they do get there. I hope that your friend will be able to find some relief for her pain. I know my MIL has had a terrible summer and we are wondering if the humidity has anything to do with it. We shall see once she gets back to AZ, I guess.

Maggie -- I'm not sure what Direct TV is but I hope that you enjoy it! I am assuming that you have one of those cute little round dojobies hooked up, right? You will be peddling your new bike soon, I hope! Like I said before, I wouldn't know which gear to do what with! We used to ride bikes when the kids were little but sold them at a garage sale and never replaced them. Now that we have a bike trail halfway around the lake, that is a thought.

It's almost time for DH to be home so guess I'd better head towards the kitchen. It's too hot to eat . . . maybe we'll do a DQ ice cream supper.

Have a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-05-2002, 10:42 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Thumbs down Friday Eve

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

We actually had some rain showers today. You should see my pretty yellow car. The rain washed the dirt out of trees right down on my hood and WOW does it need a bath now. I have decided after doing a lot of thought what I can do for myself ~ to get a Pumping Rubber Kit. It uses those "rubber bands" and gives a total body workout. I can do that in this small space. I am glad they now put together different resistance kits ~ I used some of the rubber band thingies when I was in therapy years ago and it really works. With these I can build strength and endurance, flexibility and increase muscle tone and burn fat. With the kit comes a video and exercise cards and all the stuff needed to get the job done. I am going to get the Light Resistance kit to start off with. I am going to a sporting goods store Monday to see if they have the kits if not I can order off the internet.

BUBBLES I am going to order that large bicycle seat from Camping World before I ever try to get back on that bike. I had to lean mine over also to get on it. That is one big reason to start doing those resistance exercises. I need to do that before atempting to ride for sure. So sorry to hear about your friend and her misery.

JEAN Direct TV is one of the prominent satelite systems. Cable doesn't come out here and antenna doesn't work out here. We have the little dish on a tripod outside.

Have a great evening folks.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:52 PM   #5  

HI Flowers,

Jean,
I'm sorry you're having to deal with heat and smelly kids..........how well I remember! My last 7 years I was really spoiled, as we had AC throughout the bldg. What a difference in the atmosphere! It also filtered out the extraneous noises, which was really helpful with my easily distracted kids. Of course, I was menopausal, and the kids would ***** because my room was so cool............I told them the first day of school to keep a sweater or something with long sleeves in their locker, but of course they weren't listening...........oh well My room means my thermostat, and we play by my rules..........easy concept, right? As my mother always used to say, "Age has its privileges".

Just watched an awesome tennis match! Pete Sampras whupped up on Andy Roddick..............he acted as though he was in shock the first two sets. Let's hear it for the old farts.

Happy Friday. I've lost my mind and volunteered to work the concession stand at the football game tomorrow night. I must have still been in lala land over Jimmy's escapade.

Bubs
Old 09-06-2002, 03:51 PM   #6  

Talking

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
I am home an hour earlier than usual -- it could have been two hours but I stopped on my way to shop for some cards. Our Hallmark Card store is for sale and their inventory is pretty sparse. Guess I will have to plan a road trip to the "city."

Maggie -- It has been windy again and everything is covered with a layer of grit. My car has bug juice all over the front of it from driving the highways last weekend. We're going again this weekend so I hated to do any scrubbing on it. Is Pumping Rubber Kit the official name for those rubber band sets? I've watched them on TV but never saw where I could order any. If you end up on the internet, let me know where you find some. I'd like to try those; it looks simple enough. It has to be simple if I am going to do it -- coordinated I am NOT!

Bubs -- There are times when I just want to scream, "What part of no, be quiet, get busy, etc., don't you understand?" Last year I had a student who liked to "borrow" things from my desk -- made me so mad. She moved away, thank goodness. I hope you are busy at the concession stand; it sure makes the time go by faster!

I need to go wash some of my dust collectors so that I can say I did accomplish something this afternoon. Have a great weekend, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 09-06-2002, 05:05 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Thumbs down FRIDAY Afternoon

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Not much happening in this burg this afternoon. No showers today and so the air conditioner is back on.

JEAN you can go to www.megafitness.com < click here ~ and on the left hand of the page where they list their products for sale scroll down till you see "bands" and then you can find the Pumping Rubber Kits there along with just the bands and other stuff.

Have a great afternoon folks.

Last edited by Maggie; 09-06-2002 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-06-2002, 05:31 PM   #8  

Hi All,
Maggie, you'll be glad you got the gel seat, I promise.

After our cool days, we're back up around 90 in the afternoon, and down in the 50s at night. My yard was very pleasant in the shade. Getting ready to put on my duds to go to the football game. I hope Serena and Lindsay have finished their match before I have to leave! Lord only knows where there's a blank tape, but if I could find it, I'd probably screw up the taping process. Oh well, some of us are just electronically challenged, or don't really care that much.
Have a good evening all,

Bubs
Old 09-07-2002, 05:30 PM   #9  

Holy Cow! Just watched two wonderful tennis matches, and can't wait for the finals tomorrow between Sampras and Agassi.........let's hear it for the moldy oldies!

My friend Marilyn, with Rheumatoid, is in the hospital in Roanoke. She's not in good shape, so youall please put her on your prayer list.
Thanks,
Bubs
Old 09-07-2002, 06:38 PM   #10  

Thumbs down

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It's 90 degrees as I type and HOT out there! We made a flying trip to Sioux City to do some power shopping; Penneys had a big sale going on and when we went to check out, if we left the merchandise there until Sept. 12th, we could get another 15% off everything. That was a no brainer but sure made a lot of extra paperwork for the sales clerks. Bob found a suit, shirts, and ties while I hit the department. Then we went to another department store that has been running 15% coupons off their sale merchandise all week long. I did find some in-between summer and winter things . . . saved another $33 there. I am a happy shopper today!

Maggie -- Thanks for the site; I will check it out! My air conditioner is still humming away; I don't think we will be below 85 all next week from the sounds of it. We need some rain too!

Bubs -- I have watched the same soap opera since Jason was a baby (29 years!) and now tape it. When I went to watch it last night there were tennis matches on. GRRRRR! I hope it wasn't the same one you were watching because I said some no so nice comments. I wouldn't care if they would let us know ahead of time. I will most definitely keep Marilyn in my thoughts and prayers; I hope there is something that can be done to ease her pain.

We are planning on a get together at MIL's tomorrow. She is feeling better this week; finally found a pain med that would work for her. Jason and Amanda will be there along with her parents and brother. I need to make a salad of some sort so better get busy and decide what it will be.

Have a relaxing Sunday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-07-2002, 07:39 PM   #11  
Web Nana

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

It's a lovely night here and the last few days have been just lovely. Warm, no humidity....just my kind of weather. We have been told it will get warmer on Sunday and Monday but we know winter's coming so we will enjoy. DH said if Monday is hot we may head to the Cape for a last fling at the beach. It actually has been too hot all Summer for us to spend any real time at the beach. Also, after Labor Day there are no parking fees!!! They charge $10 a day during the Summer. Of course, I am not absolutely sure I will go in the water. I don't like cold water!

JEAN: We have been having end of season sales here, too. I got a couple of cross-season shirts and decided to wait to see what they will have on sale later. Maybe more winter type items. It's always nice to window shop. I loved JC Penney's when they were around here but they closed. Glad to hear your MIL is feeling better this week. I am also sending belated Happy Anniversary wishes to you and DH. Seems a lot of people pick September for their wedding. Ours will be on the 22nd. Our 45th. Can't believe it has been that long or that we are that old!!!!!

BUBS: Never got into Tennis, playing or watching. However, one thing we do have in common is a lack of electronic ability.

MAGGIE: Another Yahoo for your loss last week. That bike sounds like a great idea. I think if I were to get on a bike I couldn't make it up the street, it's a hill!!!!! We are not in a rural area and I don't think I want to fight the traffic on a bike. It must be fun to have TV back again with the Direct TV dish. Enjoy!
I am sending a belated birthday wish to Cowboy. Many Happy Returns!

Gloria in MA......thinking of watching a little TV so Good Night Friends.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:17 PM   #12  

Good Evening, Flowers!
We just got home a little while ago -- it's been a long day! It was so windy at MIL's that we spent most of the time inside. Towards evening the wind finally let up so that we could sit outside; then the mosquitoes invaded so we headed home. I've read too much about the West Nile virus to let them lunch on me!

I am tired tonight and heading for bed. Have a terrific, OP week! See you tomorrow -- I wish tomorrow wasn't going to be Monday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-09-2002, 06:12 PM   #13  

Thumbs down

It's been another hot, sticky, and stinky day here in my corner of the world!

I was just peeking in to see if anyone was in the flower patch today. It's lookin' pretty lonely!

Maggie -- Good luck at WI tonight!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-09-2002, 11:51 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Thumbs down Weigh Day

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

Hello to everyone. I am one beat gal. I took Cowboy to emergency early Sunday morning and spend 12 hours with him there before they admitted him and they still don't know what is wrong. They did a sonogram and a cat scan and they showed gall stones and a spot the size of a quarter on his liver they called a "blister" as apposed to a tumor. They didn't know if it was water, a cyst or a blood blister. The "expert" looked at the tests and determined it was blood but don't have a clue at this point from wince it came. This type of thing happens to folks who have been in bad accidents but he hasn't had any recent events that would cause it so something is going on inside they are looking for ~ (maybe Turn jumped on him real hard in his sleep.) They were going to give him that long needle prob test where they draw out some of the liquid and examine it today but he chose instead to run a high temperature. They gave him antibotics today and it has come down so probably the procedure will be performed tomorrow. They thought it a good sign that he did run the temperature for it shows it is some type of infection. The reason it took so long in emergency is the fact that he has such a high tolerance to drugs. One of the shots they gave him would have knocked me out. But all day long they had to give him more and more and finally admitted him. The first shot would have done it had it been his gall bladder causing the pain. He couldn't even lay down the pain was so bad and that was what they wanted him to be able to do so they could do the tests. I have never seen anybody in so much pain and the drugs to not work. This is his very first time in the hospital and he is missing it all by being so out of it.

I did go to WW on my way home tonight and the Iron Monster showed me up .2. Poof - I know it is because of those scales last week so am not tripping on a little gain like but thankful it wasn't more. I am still down that 62 pounds and so jazzed about that.

I am back to the hospital tomorrow and hopefully will find out more of what is bothering a man that doesn't have any other maladies. Not high blood pressure or cholseseral problems ~ doesn't smoke or drink. Hardly ever even gets the sniffles.

Everyone have a good evening.... I am off to beddy bye early.

Last edited by Maggie; 09-10-2002 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:04 PM   #15  

Maggie,
So sorry to hear about Cowboy! Just being in the ER that long is so debilitating! I hope they have him comfortable and have discovered the cause of the pain by now.

Tonight's my weigh in...........I'm feeling pretty good about it, but who knows? Last week was so good I'm not expecting much.

Looks like there's a big blow heading up the east coast. Hope it means some rain for us, although we may be too far inland for that. Jimmy and I went down to the trail this morning and the river is pitiful. There's no water, and cetainly no current! Looks brown and yucky.

youall have a good one, and we'll keep Cowboy in our thoughts and prayers.

Bubs
Closed Thread