Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 10:16 AM   #1  

Talking New to 3FCs and needing support

Hello, I'm new to 3FC and desperately need a support network. I'm 49, overweight...afraid to weigh...it's been so long

Anyway, my friend Angie and I started a walking program today. I live in a small town that is on the Chesapeake Bay, and there is a boardwalk/promenade by the water. I actually made it all the way down to the lighthouse (which is at the opposite end) and back to the beginning. I believe that was a mile. I have no plans for dieting as I really don't eat that much...I snack all the time though. Mostly carbs. I'm hoping that if I cut out the snacks and cut down my portions at mealtimes, in addition to walking everyday, then I bound to lose some lbs.

I hope to meet many friends and encourage many while getting encouragement. It's nice to know that I'm not alone. Have a super day. Kittylover
Old 09-03-2002, 10:45 AM   #2  
GmaTo8

Hi Kittylover,

You've found the right place for lots of support! The people here are the best. Sounds like you're on the right track, too, knowing where you are losing control - snacking too much on the wrong things. But I think you are going to have to come up with a definite plan, though, not just try to cut back. Even if you think you aren't eating that much at one time, it all adds up. Way to go on the exercising - keep up the good work. Join us at the September Featherweight Club, if you'd like. Good luck to you!
Jana
Old 09-03-2002, 11:07 AM   #3  

Default Thanks for the warm welcome

Thanks Jana for your warm welcome,
I just weighed myself...ugh! 225 lbs. . . I'm only 5'3"...I would like to get down to 165 lbs. I'm happy there and look reasonably well. I have no plans for dieting, but am open to suggestions for all. My main problem is snacking at the computer every night. So, I'm cutting that out, and not eating seconds during mealtime. I tried the Weight Watchers point system...that got on my nerves. I 've even been hynotized...and that didn't work either.

My main problem is that I have been totallly inactive for 3 years. My husband says that it's not that I eat all that much...because I don't...but I've been totally, and I mean totally inactive.

Anyway, as I said, I'm open to suggestions. At this point, I have everything to lose, right?

Thanks again!
Kittylover
Old 09-03-2002, 03:37 PM   #4  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Wink first things first.....

Hi Kitttylover. NIce to meet you. It seems to me that you already know what you're problem is and thats the first step to change. Change doesn't have to be a bad thing, just a 'different' one from what you are used to. In reading your posts you've identified 2 of your issues already....(and believe me, we all have them)
One was......reaching for carbs. INstead, try adding a fresh fruit here and there. Or perhaps if the temptation was less, like not having quite so many tasty treats around.
The next thing you also said was......eating at the computer. Quite frankly, I'm not sure how you manage to eat and type at the same time while at the computer. What I do know is that this is just a learned behaviour and very easy to change. Instead of snack-y things, try a bowl of chilled grapes and eat them one at a time or cut an apple up into lots of pieces and sprinkly with some cinnamon. You are doing so well with the walking but just try to be patient and do a little bit at a time. Sometimes coping with some of lifes smaller problems, the whole solution is at hand. Keep up the good job!!!
Old 09-03-2002, 05:27 PM   #5  
Is it Friday yet?

Welcome Kittylover!

Start slow. That is what I had to do - I went from perfect weight and amazing cardovascular health and strength to total non-activity (due to moving out of state, divorce, lack of caring) and gained over 100 pounds.
At first walk slow, no matter the distance and work your way up to a faster pace (my "fast" and other people's "fast" are two different things, whatevah, I'm not exercising for them). Start with small distances and work your way up. Don't even begin lifting weights - just use the weight of your arms and legs for now, when that gets easier *then* make it harder by using weights, cans, your cat....
The good news - out of shape people increase their health and strength leaps and bounds faster at first than someone who has been active and is already fit. You'll feel better faster and you'll be able to see and feel it faster. Once you're fit, the benefits are still there, but it takes a LOT more work to increase your health and strength once you're there.

You can do this! I did and I'm still working back to where I was, but there's nothing better than being able to hot-foot it a mile or so, get a little sweaty and feel fantastic when I'm done. I'm thankful every day that I had the "umph" to get started again because that is the hardest part - getting started!

I know it's hard, really I do. I hope this helped somewhat and feel free to jump in on any thread that strikes you. I hang out with the 5 Pound Challenge folks which is an addition to the 21 Day Challenge thread. I was a WW leader for 3 years and worked with Jazzercise for about the same amount of time - I have just enough knowledge from nutrition in college to be dangerous... I hope this helped you some??

Welcome again!!!

Terri
Old 09-03-2002, 08:05 PM   #6  
Empress/Queen

Hi, Kittylover! Sounds like you are getting a handle on things and coming up with some good ideas! I also hang out at the 5-pound challenge and the 21-day challenge mostly ... I'm a 100-pound plus loser, then regainer of approximately 30, and now going down a tiny tiny bit at a time ... working on 5 pounds only for now, ultimate goal 135, which will be lower than I've been since being in my teens.

My favorite thing is to make weight loss fun (it's just a game) and to journal everything I eat and all of my exercise. Sometimes in the past when I weighed 247, I thought I didn't eat all that much, but when I really started counting the calories and writing it all down, it surprised me. Everyone is different, though, so what goes for one, doesn't necessarily go for all. I also like SLOW exercise, and as with Punkinseed, I always remember "I'm not exercising for them" so I don't worry about what others are doing!

This is a friendly site and posting here really helps sometimes when nothing else does!

Hi, Angel-Eyes!
Old 09-03-2002, 09:29 PM   #7  

Angry You people are wonderful already!

Wow! I must say I love this website already! You people are warm and wonderful, already! It makes my head spin!

I do so appreciate all the helpful advice, especially about exercising slowly...Today when I walked with my friend, she is younger, but not thinner...she was walking twice as fast as me! I have asthma too...anyway, I worry about holding her back when we walk tomorrow. She's trying to lose weight too.

What a hurdle I have created. I bought some walking shoes tonight, and happened to get a glance of myself in a full length mirror (I don't have one at home)...and boy oh boy! I made myself sick!

What really makes me angry with myself...is I was at this weight 3 years ago...I got down to about 160....looked great, I thought. Then my mother died, and back to 200+. I guess, I've been eating for comfort. Time to stop that nonsense!

My arms and legs ache tonight...especially my shins! Hope I can do this again tomorrow.

Have a good evening all and thanks again!
Kittylover
Old 09-04-2002, 11:18 AM   #8  
Is it Friday yet?

Kittylover (hey did I mention I'm a kitty lover too? I have 4 fur babies)

I know what you mean about being angry with yourself - be angry, but don't HATE yourself!! Your body is your vehicle, ya gotta love it regardless of what temporary form it may have taken... Love it and it'll take care of you!
I too eat my stress (well, any emotion I guess). I was at 138 (I'm 5'6 ish so I was skiiiiinny) then in the matter of 9 months, I lost 2 grandmothers, ended my 6 year marriage after months of painful counseling, my Mom had a breast cancer scare, I lost my dogs in court to my soon-to-be ex, moved 500 miles away from all my friends to another state (where Mom lives) and started over. I ate it *all* and 2 years later I found myself at 259 - well, at least that's the highest I was brave enough to weigh at.... That's 121 pounds gained . But, I've lost 56 pounds before, I've lost 89 pounds before and now I'm down almost 30 (and this *will* be the last time I loose this weight).... If I can do it a 3rd time, you can do this too!!

If your shins hurt you may want to slow down, it could be shin splints and exercising with those can be a bad thing (in extreme cases it can cause stress fractures), besides, you won't want to exercise if it's going to be painful. Congrats on getting some new walking shoes too! Ignore that mirror, the reflection's gonna change!

Hugs,
Terri
Closed Thread