General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #1  
Cute and Chubby

S/C/G: 205/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Question Appitite Suppressants?

Does anyone know of a good over-the-counter appitite suppressant? Now qith my smaller portions, my over-sized stomach is still sending signals that it's hungry. (Growling and pains and stuff) I know it's going to take a few weeks for my stomach to start shrinking, so it there anything I can take with or right after a meal that will make me feel full?

The pains get me every time and I lose my will power and eat more.

MikoMarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

May I ask what you're eating in a typical day?

I am not a big fan of pills and supplements to trick bodily functions unless really medically necessary, so I can't recommend any pill-based suppressants.

That said, I have had AMAZING results in avoiding hunger just by changing what I eat.

Let's say I have 300 calories to work with for lunch. I can have a McDonald's cheeseburger, and it'll be portion controlled and fit into that calorie budget.

OR, I can have a gigantic salad with 3 oz of grilled chicken, 4 cups of romaine lettuce, a quarter cup each of chopped carrot, cucumber, and bell pepper, half a cup of blanched broccoli, 2 tbsp garbanzo beans, and dressing made with 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1/2 tsp dijon mustard, 1 tsp olive oil, salt, and pepper, with a slice of light sourdough bread toasted on the side.

The McDonald's cheeseburger is maybe a cup of food total, and yeah, that feels small in my stomach...I'm not very satisfied.

But the salad and toast? That's 5 or 6 cups of food.

So before you look to appetite suppressants, you may want to consider how you can tweak what you're eating to keep you fuller, longer. The key for me is lots of low-cal veggies, lots of fiber, and protein.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #3  
Cute and Chubby

I won't mention what I am eating today, because it's hardly been anything so I can go out to east and splurge tonight- so that doesn't count.

But I have been doing this:
B- 1 cup Fiber 1 Cerial , 1 cup whole milk
S- 2 cups salad greens, 2 tbs light itallian dressing
L- (Marie Calenders Roasted Garlic Chicken 460 cal) 2 pcs roasted chickn, generous mashed potatos, large side of veggies.
S - Popcorn (100 cal pack)
D - Anything from egg white omlette to chicken breast and veggies.... but usually some sort of meat and veggies or omlette.
S- Fruit

Seems like a lot of food, but I was eating so much more. I've been told my stomach needs to shrink and then I will feel full eating this, but it takes a while. It's really sucking to be me at the moment and I really want to do this. I drink TONS of water hoping it will help, but it just doesn't yet. I am confident that once I shink my stomach this will be much easier, but if I even smell food my stomach goes crazy. It's embarrassing and uncomfortable.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #4  

Appetite suppresants do nothing but lighten you wallet and can be dangerous. You are eating more than I do in a day and I'm not hungry and started at 356. You could add the salad to lunch and that is a dinner portion, not lunch. It really needs more vegetables, one serving is not enough. Maybe a piece of fruit. Salad is not a filling snack. Protein is what keeps you feeling full so a little with every meal and snack will go a long way to filling you. More than pills.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:43 PM   #5  
Cute and Chubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Appetite suppresants do nothing but lighten you wallet and can be dangerous. You are eating more than I do in a day and I'm not hungry and started at 356. You could add the salad to lunch and that is a dinner portion, not lunch. It really needs more vegetables, one serving is not enough. Maybe a piece of fruit. Salad is not a filling snack. Protein is what keeps you feeling full so a little with every meal and snack will go a long way to filling you. More than pills.
Well like I said, I realize it's a lot to some (But I'm still at my 1800 Cal limit) and you probably feel full because your stomach has shrunk more the longer you've done it. Mine has not (just started). The suppressant wouldn't be a long-term thing, but according to my trainer, takes 2 to 3 weeks before the smaller portions start to make you feel full. What I did before was one or two HUGE meals a day (bad, bad me!) so eating a little all day is new and my tummy is really streched. I was a little concerned that none of them really work, though.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #6  

Honestly, your typical day sounds a lot lower than 1800 calories. It sounds like what I eat, or even a little less! Also, I lose on about 1600 and I'm 159, so I'm guessing you could up your calories a little if you need to :-)
ValentineNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #7  

Try sipping on a protein drink when you feel hungry...it seems to work for me.
Jodi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #8  
Cute and Chubby

Great ideas. I can see an overwhelming 'no' on the suppressants. I'm glad I asked about them instead of just running out and buying them. Oh, and I think like Jodi and Quilter said, more protein would probably make a big difference. Man, this change is harder then it seems.
Thanks everyone!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #9  

I have tried prescription pills.

They haven't worked for me at all. Part of the issue for me is that hunger often is very little of the reason I eat!

I eat when I am with friends and celebrating, I eat alone when I am bored, I eat all the time!

What I am realizing more and more (and this is a new revelation for me, so I certainly don't have anyting *down* yet), is that I have GOT to start realizing when I am actually HUNGRY and when I am satiated (not full) and should stop eating. Many times that is really only a few bites and not even half of a real meal.

Dawn
Dawn415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #10  

Well I would like to offer my two cents....

Adding fiber supplements will help you feel fuller, both the fiber AND the water will help you feel fuller. Take the fiber in whatever form you choose, Benefiber powder, or chewable tablets like Fiber Choice, or whatever, with a FULL glass of before you eat (either right before or even 10-15 minutes prior) Since it takes approx. 20 minutes for your brain to register "I'm full", if you take it just a bit prior you have a bit of a head start.

Also...sorry everyone I do have to offer another two cents... not sure if you would call it a supplement (ok, call it what you like) but have you heard of PGX. You can get it from Costco, or likely any other main-stream store like Walmart etc. It is pretty much fiber but has other benefits. I don't think there is any risk with this product from what I've read. It's fiber really, it's not something to get you all juiced up and energetic etc...it just helps you feel full, and helps control your blood sugar. Google it for more into,

Good luck.
getthismonkeyoffme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:00 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

Make sure you are drinking enough water. Because as you know dehydration signals can be confused with hunger pangs. Also you can try drinking a cup of water before your meals and during.

Fiber is a good way to fill up. Apparently alfalfa is a natural appetite suppressant. Maybe you can add that to your salad. I can tell by your food list you only eat 1200 calories. So I think you can add to your green salad things like cucumber, beets, even a tsp of seeds. Because green leaves on their own are only about 15 calories.

Also, eat fruit in between your meals. Maybe even have a fat free plain yogurt and add your own fruit to it. Maybe add a banana to your breakfast.

Other appetite suppressants include caffeine. I've been known to have a small skinny latte from time to time... especially when I'm saving calories for a bigger meal in the evening.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:43 PM   #12  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I agree with Manadalinn! For someone just starting out, I would reccommend focusing more on what you are eating than how much. Clean out the junk and eat lots of whole foods - fruit, veggies, LEAN meats, whole grains, etc. You'll find that those foods keep you full and your calories will lower naturally because the food is less calorie dense. After a while, you'll notice that you are full on less food. (My theory is that natural foods lack the chemicals that trick our brains into thinking we are still hungry (like HFCS)). Then, when you start noticing that, start counting calories and keeping your diet cleaner. I think so many people start out on a drastically reduced diet and spend those first few days so miserable and then give up. You don't have to! Use this time to explore natural foods (foods in the perimeter of the grocery store - aka no boxes, jars, mixes or cans) and how yummy they are. Eat and enjoy them! I personally used that time also to scale back my restaurant eating. I was SHOCKED at how many calories were in those foods.

Be patient with yourself, but if you are miserable, something is wrong. This is a great lifestyle - not a miserable one! Find what works for you and makes you happy.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote