Old 03-17-2010, 05:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

Height: 5'6"

Default So disapointed in myself

I decided to give up added sugar for Lent, which started 1 month ago today. I have been doing so well, not so much as touched a chocolate bar or craved a soda.However, this whole time I have been craving a Snickers Creme Egg. They are only available around Easter, and today I cracked and bought one. I am so mad at myself. Well, when I started it eat it, I almost spit it out. It was so disgustingly sweet. So I threw out the rest of the bar. These used to be my favorite candy. I am mad at myself for breaking down and buying the candy, but I am so happy to learn that I no longer actually enjoy it. I have been debating on whether or not I should stop my no added sugar diet at Easter or keep going. This encounter with sugar today made me decide to keep going even after Easter is here. For the most part, I have not missed sugar at all, I have even learned to like oatmeal in a new way (Don't laugh, cayenne and garlic). Plus the amount of water I drink has skyrocketed. The benefits to no sugar are far more than I thought it would be. Besides having more energy, my skin looks better than it ever has.

So I made a mistake. I ate the sugar. The only thing it did was make me want to have it even less.
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #2  
I will make time!!!

wow. Congrats on throwing the rest away, I know you broke and bought it, but if I were you I'd be proud. I want to do that now. It seems healthier then I thought.

Last edited by SnowWolf; 03-17-2010 at 05:35 PM.
SnowWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 176/133.4/135

Height: 5'4"

Don't be disappointed in yourself, I think you should be glad you bought it and had a bite. Now you know you don't want it and there is nothing more powerful than that to keep you on track, right? That lesson is far more important than any guilt you should feel for eating one bite of it. I say congrats for not craving sugar!
asweetchicagogirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #4  
Choose your hard...

S/C/G: 250/194/130

Height: 5' 2"

I have done the same thing, except with french fries. I used to be a major french fry addict. (Which is why I gained so much weight.) I was eating a ton of greasy potatoes a day. My mom made some french fries a while back and left them out. I ate one because I thought it wouldn't hurt. Well, it was disgusting, gross even. I guess our tastes change when you have been eating healthy foods.

I am glad you threw the other half away. I guess it's a lesson learned. You may not enjoy the foods that you once did. Congrats on throwing the rest of it away.

Last edited by Asherdoodles87; 03-17-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Asherdoodles87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #5  
aka christina :)

S/C/G: 142/118/116

Height: 5'5

i'm proud of you for throwing the food away. i'm addicted to fries too .. & theres no way i can give them up! especially if they're already in my mouth
diornotwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #6  
Sailing the Grand Line!

S/C/G: 255/See Sig/130

Height: 5'8"

I know how rough it can be to feel like you let yourself down but don't let it get you! You threw it away and you didn't binge on a whole bag or anything! Talk about dedication and self control. Be proud girl, a little chocolate won't make you regain anything.
Thousandsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

You should be proud of yourself for throwing the rest away, and for realizing that you don't need the sugar. Cravings happen to everyone and everyone caves at some points. It is great that you were able to stop, though, that isn't something to be disappointed about. However, I understand why you feel that you messed up, but don't worry, you're stronger because of it
effie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/191/125

Height: 4'11

Quote:
Originally Posted by utgirl09 View Post
I have even learned to like oatmeal in a new way (Don't laugh, cayenne and garlic).
I prefer my oats seasoned like regular grains (ie, savory and spicy) rather than with sweetener and cinnamon. I don't make them for breakfast because I don't usually have the time, but for lunch I'll sometimes brown them in a pan (after boiling) with chopped veggies and chicken.
Morgan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

A lesson learned. Don't feel disappointed -- feel proud! Look at how great you handled the slip and what you discovered about you!

It's awesome!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-17-2010 at 09:34 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #10  
Losing weight since 2009

S/C/G: 310/138/132

Height: 5'7

You've got to look on the bright side, you didn't eat the whole candy and you learned that sugar-free isn't so bad. I've been pretty much sugar free for the past year and my taste buds are soooooo much different. Foods that I used to like (aka processed junk) are now kinda nasty and it's a whole lot easier saying not to those foods, even when they're right in front of me! So stay positive and be proud of all you accomplished!
Gracie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

Thanks for all the responses. In a weird way I am kinda glad I slipped up because I did learn some things about myself. I don't need the sugar anymore! I never thought my taste buds would change, but I guess I was wrong. Cutting sugar has helped me lose 12 pounds in the last month, I cannot wait to see how much I lose the rest of the year.
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:15 AM   #12  

S/C/G: ticker

another french fry addict here.... haha and although i eat so much healthy food, i will NEVER ever give up french fries!!
but i haven't had them as much as i used to and i do substitute with yam fries instead now-adays, and those are just as good!
missyRxOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:00 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/134/118

Height: 5'3

Congrats on throwing it away!! I find that when I say I'm not going to eat something and start to crave it , when I finally crack and eat some it's not as good as I built it up in my head.
Caleighsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote