Old 03-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #1  
Live for life and enjoy

S/C/G: 189/cw 187/goal weight 135

Height: 5'6

Red face need help

Hi guys here have not loss any weight because for some reason or another Im always tempted can you guys give me ideas of how you stay strong,
latinhips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:51 PM   #2  
Now Mom to 5

S/C/G: 250/ticker/170

Height: 5' 5"

Weightloss has to be something you really want. For years I wanted to lose weight but I was not ready to put in the hard work. Once you decide you are ready to do the hard work find a plan that works for you. We are all faced with temptations and to reach our goals we have to say no at times.
MomtoThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:20 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

For me it came to be that the desire to be fit, trim, fit and healthy overtook and overpowered my desires for those tempting foods. I wanted weight loss SOOOOO badly, that I was just not as tempted by them as I used to be. And even if I was - especially in the early stages - it didn't matter - because I DECIDED to lose the weight - no matter what. And I realized I didn't have to have something just because I wanted it. It's okay to tell yourself no!!

Keeping a food journal, logging every bite and taste that enters your mouth is a great tool. You bite it, you write it - no exceptions. That will surely help to put the brakes on mindless eating.

But I did/still do make sure to have great, tasty, healthy, low calorie foods on hand. If I always have good healthy choices available - always - it makes is MUCH easier to eat well and a lot simpler avoiding the "wrong" foods. I plan out all of my foods in advance - I know exactly what I'm eating ahead of time. It's much easier to stay on plan when you've got one. A good one.

Keep in mind and KNOW, that you've got the ABILITY to do this. You don't have to be overweight if you don't want to be. It is your choice. It's within your hands.

Decide to do this, commit to do this, plan to do this, be willing to put forth the effort required to do this, - and get out there and do it!!!

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-17-2010 at 06:38 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/225/175

Height: 5 feet 8 inches

I've been at this weight loss thing for quite a while now, and I've noticed something new happening to me lately : it feels GOOD to tell myself "no" when I'm about to eat mindlessly, or eat between meals, or pull through a fast food drivethru.

I like the feeling of self control it produces, and it gives me an opportunity to pat myself on the back-something I don't do nearly enough. Saying "no" once makes it easier to say it the next time, I find.

Good luck on your journey!
Mary49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:38 AM   #5  

Height: 5ft6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary49 View Post
I've been at this weight loss thing for quite a while now, and I've noticed something new happening to me lately : it feels GOOD to tell myself "no" when I'm about to eat mindlessly, or eat between meals, or pull through a fast food drivethru.

I like the feeling of self control it produces, and it gives me an opportunity to pat myself on the back-something I don't do nearly enough. Saying "no" once makes it easier to say it the next time, I find.

Good luck on your journey!
I totaly agree. For example, tattoos hurt. But I love sitting in that chair because I know I will love the end result. As much as I ALWAYS wanted to lose weight I had to be ready. For me that was when I was willing to take the discomfort of night time munchie withdrawl, eating things I might not want to, and working out even if i don't feel like it or I am too sore. Because I know every min of it is leading me right where I want to be.

I struggled alot to get to the point where I was making changes. I can't say it's true for everyone but my desire might always be there but my commitment is what fules this machine. And poeple told me that in some way or another. But I had to realy get it for myself. Lots of self reflection and determination to get it right.

Hope that wasn't too rambley.
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:01 AM   #6  

Height: 5'5.5"

PeanutsMom posted this idea in another thread and it really stuck with me. It is not about dieting or not dieting but making a series of decisions about what is best for you. It helps me to remember that I am not depriving myself but doing what is best for myself. Also that one bad decision is not going off a diet but just a single bad choice. The very next choice I make can be a good one.
LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:57 AM   #7  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

One day at a time, one step at a time, one decision at a time, one meal at a time. And don't look back--only forward.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #8  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

What tempts you? Why are you tempted?

If hungry, Every 3-4 hours. It's a lot easier to control if you aren't fighting super duper hunger because you haven't eaten all day.

If unable to stick to calorie level, bump it up. Better to lose a little slower, than lose your head trying to stick to a calorie level too low to be realistic. Give your body the time to heal it needs.

If emotional eater -- figure out head hunger vs heart hunger and apply the right solution.

http://www.wellness.com/blogs/LindaS...motions/ad.asp

If you are experiencing wooziness, highs and lows... look into your blood sugar. Perhaps you aren't eating balanced meals to keep it in check.

If a social eater, change your socializing with friends and family to activities without food. (ex: mini golf vs restaurant)

If tempted by other people -- learn to set boundaries, have a heart to heart, and if they continue to sabotage, be ready to lose these "friends" if they are keeping you from your goal.

HTH!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-17-2010 at 09:11 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #9  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

It REALLY helped me to read posts on 3FC. To get to know people by what they were writing.
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #10  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinhips View Post
Hi guys here have not loss any weight because for some reason or another Im always tempted can you guys give me ideas of how you stay strong,
A few thoughts: Good job asking for help. Keep coming back here, get to know people here, make being good to yourself in ways other than eating a priority.

What I am going to say next is going to sound mean and I apologize in advance. Here goes: Do you want to be healthy or do you want to stay fat or get even fatter?

There is no tip anyone can give you that will help you overcome temptation. YOU have to want being healthy more than you want the stay fat. You have to make it your mission, your first priority. YOU are stronger than any temptation.

Period.

Last edited by Michelle98272; 03-17-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Plan, plan, plan. The more thought you put into your plan, the easier it is to stick with it: it's like if you and your friend have sorta talked about going to see a movie this afternoon, you'll never make it because people will end up distracted and do something else, but if there is a plan in place to see movie X at theater Y at time Z, everyone will be there.

I'd dedicate two weeks not to dieting, but to coming up with a lifestyle plan. Read this site and all over the internet about various plans. Make yourself into an expert. Find an approach that works for you, and then make a concrete plan to implement it (not, "I'm going to calorie count" but "I am going to eat this many calories. These are the foods I'll eat and the times I will eat them; this is the exercise I will do and the schedule I will follow".) Only after all that is in place should you pull the trigger and actually start following your plan.

This isn't to say you have to change everything at once: your plan might be "week one, I am going to cut out ___________, week 2 I am going to start walking ________________, week 3 I will start eating _____________ for lunch". As long as a plan is moving forward and you know, more or less, where it's headed, it's fine if it's modest.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:12 PM   #12  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

HI Latinhips (great name by the way!!!) Unfortunately, there's no magic wand any of us can wave for you If wishing for it were enough, I'd have looked like Cindy Crawford 20 years ago lol Everyone's different, and what works for each person can vary greatly. For myself, I spent 15 years I swear, deciding each Monday morning "ok, I deserve this, i want this, i'm going to do it" and by Wednesday I was freaking out that I couldn't have X Y or Z, and then ate a double quarter pounder and a large Blizzard! ergh! If I could have talked to the 20 year old me, I'd say "DON"T DIET". I'd say, stop listening to the spoiled little princess child inside of you that wants wants wants. Tell her to sit down and shut up LOL.

What worked for me was small consistent changes over a long period of time. I couldn't jump up and down in excitement at the scales every day or week, I lost it slowwww but its stayed off! I lost 40 lbs and maintained it for almost a year before I knew I could live like that forever, and then tweaked it a bit to lose more. For me, it was all about calorie counting, saying NO to myself more often than not, eating breakfast, going for walks and moving around more than i ever did before, and having FUN!!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Support. I couldn't do it without the UNFLAGGING support of my DH. He's always encouraging me, making time for me to get exercise daily (we both work full time, have 2 kids), he cooks healthy meals...he's just simply awesome and I'd have thrown in the towel a few plateaus ago if I didn't have him pointing out little changes in my body.

As for temptations, just don't buy the stuff that tempts you. Full stop. For me, it's potato chips. I "allow" myself chips right around my period, that's it. Once a month, it's a treat. I can have chocolate in the house and not touch it, but I cannot buy chips and not eat them, so I don't have them around. If it's drive-thrus that get you, take a different route to/from work. Don't carry cash/debit.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:31 PM   #14  
Live for life and enjoy

S/C/G: 189/cw 187/goal weight 135

Height: 5'6

Default thank you everyone

it is really hard to start but once in the swing of things everything falls into place, Im home with the kids and going to school online fulltime its hard especially with a 1 and 2 year old next to me everytime I open a book something new happens I thought it would be esiear but it is not so I turned to junk food for the crazy days where I had to do hw and everything else, my hubby is chunky but he is in the army and he is always working out and its hard to look at him while he eats the forbidden fruit, and yes I do have that spoiled little girl inside of me telling me to go ahead and eat why not but enough is enough I have gone from 159 to 189 in a couple of months and Im ready, I feel ashame that I have been wearing the same jeans for the past two monhs out of my closet because they are the only ones that fit me at the moment, i dont want chips, ice cream or big mac's to be my friends any more because at the end of each un healthy choice it just makes me feel more dissappointed in my self.
latinhips is offline   Reply With Quote