Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/212/150

Default Beginner in need of some guidance

Hi! I just started my lifestyle change Feb. 1 which includes dieting and exercise. I started out by walking for about 30 minutes 5/6 times a week. In 6 weeks I have increased that to running/walking for about 45 minutes 6 times a week. I listen to music and run 1 song and then walk 1 song. I have done the occasional Walk Away the lbs videos, but to me they are annoying. I am curious is run/walking almost everyday bad for you? I love walk/running because it gets me out of the house, away from my 3 kids (that sounds horrible) and I get to listen to music I love. This is my "me time". Is it really that bad to do everyday?

I would love to start with some weight training, but I'm terrified that I will gain weight (the old muscle weighs more than fat thing) and it will discourage me and I will go back to my bad habits. Also, I have NO idea where to begin. I cannot afford a trainer or joining a gym. Is there anything I can do at home that is just as effective? Also, I need simple instructions or even a video that can show me what to do. I don't want to be ripped, but I would like to be toned. I have good deal of weight to lose and I don't want to lose it just to have flabby saggy skin, that would almost be worse than being fat. I'm 5'5 and 215 lbs. My dh bought the P90X system a year ago. To be honest, it scares the crap out of me, but would this be a good tool to use a couple of times a week?

I did look through the stickies at the top but I got confused on what I should or should not do. I just need some guidance and any advice will be appreciated!

Thank you!

Cary
LEMONDR0P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #2  
Cute and Chubby

S/C/G: 205/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Walking and running is GREAT! I just recently started a lifestyle change myself. My only suggestion might be to not focus on the weight at first and instead focus on measurements. Once you start loosing inches, the weight will eventually follow. I personally would rather be heavy and shaped in all the right areas (Flatter tummy, nicer arms and legs) than be 20 lbs lighter but still flabby in those areas.

If you have a really tight pair of pants, or something, let that be your inspiration and motivation to start with. Focus on pounds lator. It's taken me a very long time to shift my thinking that way but it's working.

More muscle means you will burn more fat! Sorry this got a bit long- I'm just excited about the change. Good luck to you!
MikoMarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #3  

That is exactly my problem! I'm trying to focus on losing the lbs and have gotten quite discouraged even though I have lost 15 lbs in 6 weeks. Did you measure yourself before you began or are you solely using a tight pair of pants as inspiration? I was weighing daily and seeing little fluctuations in my weight was so depressing. So now I'm weighing once a week, but I can definitely see a difference in how my clothes fit. Thank you for the good idea to think in terms of measurments instead of lbs lost!

Don't worry about being long-winded! I get that way too because I'm so excited!
Old 03-16-2010, 03:04 PM   #4  
Cute and Chubby

S/C/G: 205/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Well I did measure myself... but I think there is a lot of room for error. The clothing tests are what convinced me. I bought a cheap pair of jeans 2 sizes too small, and every week I just see how much I can fit in them. They are up now, just can't button. Almost there though. That's givin me more motivation than the scale ever has. I haven't seen a big weight loss, because I do check every week, but something is happening. Also, my knees don't hurt as bad going up the stairs, either. That's always nice, too.

And 15 lbs is good! Especially if you are building muscle. One thing I hate is when someone says: Muscle weighs more than fat. BS. A pound is a pound. Muscle is just smaller. Don't let that scare you, either. When working out, you really shouldn't see an increase in weight (Although weight will very a little) because you are gaining muscle; instead, you should see the weight stay pretty much the same but watch your body change. If that's happening the weight will come eventually, too. But building muscle is a good, good thing. That's what eats your fat. More muscle=more calories burned. :-D
MikoMarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #5  

Ok, that makes sense. I have no idea how all this works. I've just been looking at the scale wondering why I'm not losing, but I can see a big difference in the way my clothes fit. Thank you for the insight!
Old 03-17-2010, 06:01 AM   #6  
Quite A Character

S/C/G: 270/176/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
And 15 lbs is good! Especially if you are building muscle. One thing I hate is when someone says: Muscle weighs more than fat. BS. A pound is a pound. Muscle is just smaller. Don't let that scare you, either. When working out, you really shouldn't see an increase in weight (Although weight will very a little) because you are gaining muscle; instead, you should see the weight stay pretty much the same but watch your body change. If that's happening the weight will come eventually, too. But building muscle is a good, good thing. That's what eats your fat. More muscle=more calories burned. :-D
Exactly, couldn't have said it better!

Eventually, it's about how you feel (fit and energetic) and how you think you look... not about how much you weigh. Who cares about how much you weigh if you look energetic, fit, and lean?

Muscle does all of that. So don't be afraid of muscle, like MikoMarcia said.
ambpure is offline   Reply With Quote