Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #1  
NSV

S/C/G: 147/128/121

Height: 5.5

Default so hungry! What to do?

I increased my exercise since about 2-3 weeks back because I stopped losing weight, so I figured that I needed to do something. I eat about 1300 cal/day so I thought that wasn't the problem.)

But now.... It's crazy. I'm so hungry and crave sugar and fat all the time.
I do about an hour of cardio six times/week and about 30min of strength training exercises three times/week. Before I did 40 min cardio and 15 min with weights.
(Plus I do a lot of walking to school. I go to the university and it's a quite big campus)

My weightloss seems to be speeding up again now with the new exercise program. But very, very slowly (lost about 1-2lbs) and it seems hopeless since I'm tired and hungry all the time.

I can't see what's the problem and I'm frustrated of being so hungry all the time!

What am I doing wrong? I just feel like giving up... but at the same time I know that I will be so happy when I reach my goal! But this is hard...I want sugar and fat!
NSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #2  
Once and for all believer

Height: 5'5''

EAT

Many times weight loss stops because we are underfeeding our bodies. Also, sugar and fat are not bad, just don't over do it. Don't deprive yourself, or it will probably backfire.

Just keep ENJOYING exercising and don't worry too much about it. You should also bear in mind that at your height and weight, 1-2 lbs a week is plenty.

Hope to be of help

Last edited by ALO22; 03-16-2010 at 10:52 AM.
ALO22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

You want to lose 13 pounds. Does it matter, really, if that takes 7 weeks or 15 weeks? Go up to 1500 calories a day. You certainly won't gain weight at that level, and if you find you still lose a pound a week, that will change your whole life for the better. It's worth the experiment.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #4  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

If you’re hungry, eat. Physical hunger is your bodies signal that it needs some replenishment. It’s not smart to ignore it. It’s okay to be a little hungry sometimes…but don’t walk around starving all the time. It will hinder your weight loss.

The increase in exercise has probably increased your metabolism a little and also, if you’re adding muscle, you’ll need a few more calories a day anyway.

It’s not going to hurt to add some calories here and there!

Last edited by ThicknPretty; 03-16-2010 at 11:25 AM.
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #5  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

I have to echo everyone else here... if you're hungry, eat. Right now you're working out a heck of a lot while eating the bare minimum. Also, at your weight, your loss should be slow. If it's not, then the weight you're actually losing may not be the kind you would like to be losing. You would be surprised how readily the body metabolizes skeletal muscle.

Good luck!
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSV View Post
My weightloss seems to be speeding up again now with the new exercise program. But very, very slowly (lost about 1-2lbs) and it seems hopeless since I'm tired and hungry all the time.

!
Very, very slowly? At your weight - how is 1 - 2 lbs a week very, very slowly???? At your CURRENT weight, you are well within a *normal* range. Given that, your loss is quite *speedy*.

I'm just wondering, perhaps your expectations are a little on the high side. Or should I say the low side? As in the low WEIGHT side.

I also agree with the others - you're hungry - you should EAT.

That being said, what KIND of calories are you eating - are they satiating ones? One that leave you full for quite a bit? Or are they *empty* calories - ones that within an hour you're hungry once again and leave you craving for more and more?

The filling, satiating, stick with you foods - veggies, veggies, veggies, protein, protein, protein.

The empty calorie ones that leave you hungry and crave-y in no time - muffins, cookies, crackers, sugar-y foods, granola bars, processed foods, refined carbs.

When you're sticking to a lowered calorie allotment, you really MUST make them count and have fiber and protein at every turn.

But again, perhaps you're not *meant* to be slimmer than you are...
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #7  
NSV

Thanks for your answers!

What I was trying to say is that I've lost 1-2lbs in two weeks and four days, not per week.

I eat well. A lot of chicken and salad... and fruit.

When I was in the army about one year ago I was about 127 lbs. So I would like to be there again (and hopefully lose a bit more). I was very fit (moved around all day long...), and I'm still quite muscular but I'm a bit bigger now and I don't really like it.

Maybe it's because I'm older now... and in that case, if it's impossible, then I have to accept that I guess. But still, I would like to try to lose those last pounds.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Thanks for your answers!

What I was trying to say is that I've lost 1-2lbs in two weeks and four days, not per week.

I eat well. A lot of chicken and salad... and fruit.

When I was in the army about one year ago I was about 127 lbs. So I would like to be there again (and hopefully lose a bit more). I was very fit (moved around all day long...), and I'm still quite muscular but I'm a bit bigger now and I don't really like it.

Maybe it's because I'm older now... and in that case, if it's impossible, then I have to accept that I guess. But still, I would like to try to lose those last pounds.
Yes, I read that wrong about the 1 - 2 per WEEK. I apologize. But still - that's quite good - again, given your weight. It WILL take some work and some time to create that calorie deficit. We just can't create that much of a deficit in a short time.

As far as your menu? Do you eat frequently, or do you have one or two large-ish meals? PErhaps you need to try smaller quantities but more often. And fruit? Well veggies are lots less calories and just as filling. So if you ate less fruit and more veggies, you'd feel/be fuller.

Perhaps you can give us a better picture into your day, so that we can help you better...

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-16-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:19 PM   #9  
Sarah

Drink some water and see how you feel. Sometimes your thirst can make you feel hungry!
buzybee188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:04 PM   #10  

Yeah definitely! Eat when your hungry. Losing weight is not about skipping meals or depriving yourself from eating the food you like.

I think you have more than 3 meals every day provided that it is just a small meal rather than those those heavy meals that we usually have.

Last edited by shairawilliams; 03-16-2010 at 04:04 PM.
shairawilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #11  
NSV

Again, thank you

This is what I ate today. It will give you some examples of what I eat

Before my (morning) workout
One apple and black coffee (+water)

Breakfast
Branflakes with soymilk
One boiled egg
Coffee with low fat milk

Lunch
Chicken with salad (without dressing)
Green tea

Dinner
Fish with two small potatoes and salad (mixed with some lemon juice)
Diet coke

Between meals I snack on fruit and drink water.
Today, for example, I ate an orange between breakfast and lunch and
before I go to bed I will eat another apple. (I love apples)

How can I change that? Do you think it will help if I add some more protein?
Old 03-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #12  

You need vegetables other than salad, more milk and at least 2 teaspoons of good oil a day. I see no healthy grains (bran flakes don't count). Not a very healthy diet.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

I really don't think that's a terribly unhealthy diet. I'd say it's healthier than probably 99% of Americans, honestly.

I agree, however, that you need more vegetables, without cutting out any of the things you've listed. If you go to the freezer section of the grocery store, they sell these "steam in the bag" frozen vegetables that you just throw in the microwave. As long as you stay away from sauce, corn, or potatoes, most of those have around 120 calories in the entire bag, and they are dead easy--just throw in the microwave. I'd add one or two of those bags a day and see if you are still hungry.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #14  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Do you think it will help if I add some more protein?
Yes - I was told to have a little bit of carbs and a little bit of protein with every meal and snack. So - for your fruit snacks, try to add some protein - a little PB with your apple. Or a string cheese. Or some Low Fat Cottage Cheese. A half a dozen almonds. etc. The protein will help you feel fuller for longer.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:05 PM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Again, thank you

This is what I ate today. It will give you some examples of what I eat

Before my (morning) workout
One apple and black coffee (+water)

Breakfast
Branflakes with soymilk
One boiled egg
Coffee with low fat milk

Lunch
Chicken with salad (without dressing)
Green tea

Dinner
Fish with two small potatoes and salad (mixed with some lemon juice)
Diet coke

Between meals I snack on fruit and drink water.
Today, for example, I ate an orange between breakfast and lunch and
before I go to bed I will eat another apple. (I love apples)

How can I change that? Do you think it will help if I add some more protein?
What kind of bran flakes? How many calories? Why not eat KAshi Go LEan instead? Or a mix of KAshi go lean & Fiber One with SKIM milk - not soy? OR a bowl of oatmeal with a 3 egg white omlette..

When you say "salad" what EXACTLY does that mean??? What's in there? Is it large or small? What kind of dressing?

When you say chicken - what kind & how much?

What kind of fish? How is it prepared? How much? Instead of two small potatoes, how about a nice LARGE bowl of soup or a large amount of roasted cauliflower (or asparagus or whatever)?

Instead of one of those pieces of fruit - perhaps a SF/FF yogurt with some Fiber One tossed in. Or a LARGE bowl of soup or a veggie stir fry?

Veggies provide a lot more filling power than fruit.

But only YOU can decide about tastes, likes and dislikes. So this is what you ate today - were you hungry - or not. You've got to be full, so if you're not, I WOULD experiment with adding more satiating veggies.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-17-2010 at 06:06 PM.