Old 03-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/221/145

Height: 5'8

Default Mental Plateaus

So lets just say February was a really rough month for me. The closer I got to getting out of the 200's the more I found I was sabotaging myself.
I had this huge mental plateau about getting out of the 200's-- I haven't been in Onederland in about 4 years. It kind of scared me.
Well we are half way into March and I am back on track and have refocused my attentions on clothing sizes to distract me from my anxiety of getting to Onderland. I am still scared of leaving my safety net of 2.. but the thought of being a size 12 again is just too good to pass up. And I can't have one without the other-- and I have to venture back into Onderland in order to get smaller clothes-- duh! Oh silly mind games!
IrishRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:54 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Yes! It's a great idea to look at something other than weight to track progress! However, can I ask you why you are afraid of leaving the 200's and going into Onederland? I had something similar as well. I was afraid of failing and gaining the weight back. I was also afraid of attention from men (which is a whole other story). Anyway, maybe if you really think about what is causing you to be afraid and sabotage yourself, than maybe that will tell you something very important about yourself and weight and even why you gained weight in the first place. I'm still trying to figure that out. I've seen people on The Biggest Loser have these great "Ah-ha" moments with Jillian screaming at them and helping them figure out why they gained the weight and I thought, "wow! I wish she would come over here and yell at me for a bit!"

Anyway, congrats on getting so far and on overcoming the mental plateau!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 192/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I completely understand! It's amazing you managed to stop the slide after only a month. Congrats! I got all the way down to 147 about a year ago. I remember stepping on the scale and being sooo excited to be 10 lbs away from goal. And then I went into my room and was sitting on the floor lotioning up (I had just gotten a bad sunburn) and was like "ew...I still have fat rolls! And I'm only 10lbs away from goal???"

For some reason it freaked me out. Like I thought no matter what I would never be able to be skinny and pretty like other people. So I self-sabatoged myself right on back up to 167 lbs. Currently trying to work my way back down .

I've been focusing on fitness goals and clothing sizes too. I even hid my scale so I wouldn't be tempted . So congrats on realizing you were doing it and taking the appropriate.
rachiebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #4  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

Rose - I could HUG you right now. I think this is the most AMAZING way of putting this...MENTAL Plateau!!!! I've totally been having the same problem all month and I am putting an end to it TODAY.

Interesting what we do to ourselves without even realizing it isnt it?
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I know exactly what you mean! I hate it! I'm in one right now and trying to fight to get out. I've finally realized I'm a bit afraid to reach my goal, but I haven't quite figured out why... so I'm working on that now. I think once we understand why we're holding ourselves back then we can beat it. You CAN get below 200!!!!
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:11 AM   #6  
Mary

S/C/G: 225/190/125

Height: 5'2" Age: 22

I feel you on the mental plateau, and I'm still battling mine a bit (I got to 159, and never having been there in my life I self-sabotauged my way back to the high 160s). I think that's a great idea that you focused on clothing goals instead of the number, and I think I'd like to try that too. Another goal you could focus on is fitness.

It sounds like a lot of us have been having this problem lately! Let's stick together, girls!

I don't know how much of a planner you are, but I think a good idea is to make a checklist of some kind (mental or not) to track your non-scale focuses. Right now, since you've inspired me to stop my mental plateau, I'm creating alarms on my computer for my fitness plan, nutrition goals (got to get back to snacking on fruits and veggies instead of pulling out the chips and pretzels!!!), and size goals!

I'm so glad you posted this today because it's completely inspired me to break my own plateau! I know you can break yours, look how much weight you've lost already!
platformnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #7  
Workin' on it...

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I understand what you're talking about, exactly. I also had a horrific fear-driven battle that got me here. For the last three years, I haven't owned a scale.

When my hubby and I got married and were setting up house, it was one of those things in the back of my mind that I said I needed to get...except that having it would mean I would also need to step on it and face the reality of my weight. Yes, I knew I was overweight, but until Christmas, I really had no idea how bad it had gotten.

I took a pic with one of my bestfriends and decided I needed to face the facts. In the last three years, I've gained about 30-35lbs and been too scared of the truth to see it.

Now, I am weighing daily, to force myself to get used to the process and so that I don't get too discouraged when I see the fluctuations..."flooding" if you will. It's just become part of my daily routine and also something that I get excited about. Aside from hoping I'll lose over the weeks and months, I get excited to see when I go through a day and come out the same, or less, than I started.

So far, I have lost 15 lbs. While I'm feeling more energetic and don't have to suck it in quite so much with my jeans, I wish I saw a little more physical progress in that much weight. Seeing as I'm looking to go for 50 lbs, though, I guess 15 is but a fraction! lol
MisplacedMyHailo is offline   Reply With Quote