Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #1  
better, faster, stronger

S/C/G: 150/131.5/125

Height: 5'2.5"

Default i just can't bring myself to like salads. help?

I have a confession: I do not like salads. At least, I haven't been able to come up with any way to make a salad palatable. So I'm looking for suggestions to make a good one!

I like the stuff you PUT on salads -- cucumbers, tomatoes, and so on. It's the lettuce and the dressing that get me. I find both lettuce and sf/ff dressing to be terribly bitter. I don't like vinegar either, so vinaigrettes don't usually go over well. The only way I've been able to eat salads in the past is if they're covered in regular dressing, which obviously defeats the whole purpose!

Do you know any salad recipes that don't involve lettuce, or that don't taste bitter? I'm stumped! I know I don't HAVE to like salad -- but it would be so nice to be able to fill up on cups and cups of food with so few calories! I figure there has to be SOME way to make it work -- there are so many vegetables and dressings out there... any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks, ladies!
Skyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #2  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

Have you tried raspberry vinaigrette? I know you said you don't like vinegar, but my logic here is... I LOVE vinegar. A LOT. But I absolutely hate raspberry vinaigrette, because it's not vinegary at all So, maybe give it a shot?

What is it that you want your salad to taste like? Sweet, creamy? Or is the texture that's making you hate them?
Wild Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

I hate lettuce too, so I don't eat it. Have you tried spinach? I used it in place of lettuce, but I still can't eat that much of it. You could always just eat the stuff you put on a salad in a big bowl and just nix the lettuce.
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

There is no rule that you must have lettuce or dressing with a salad. I love tomato and onion salads, especially if I add some cucumber. It's just tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, a splash of vinegar or lemon juice, a pinch of salt, let sit for a few hours for the flavors to mingle, and viola a tasty non-leafy green salad. You could also try stuff like carrot and raisin salad, a broccoli salad with low or fat free mayo...the possibilities are endless.

I would also play around a bit with your greens. I don't mind iceberg lettuce but since it has no nutritional value and there are must better options, I use romaine, especially red romaine, but you may also try boston lettuce, kale, arugula, leaf lettuce, spinach, swiss chard, etc. You may find a different kind of greens that you prefer over what you've been using.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #5  
better, faster, stronger

S/C/G: 150/131.5/125

Height: 5'2.5"

Wild Vulpix: I'll try raspberry vinaigrette... might as well! I'm honestly a little skeptical that it doesn't taste like vinegar at all, but I'm not gonna knock it till I try it. Thanks for the suggestion. As for what I want my salads to taste like... I love both sweet and creamy things, but I don't see any way to make salads taste like that! I guess I'm looking for a way to have it be... crisp? Fresh? Whatever, as long as it's not bitter, it's good in my book.

Mikayla -- thanks for the spinach suggestion. The taste of spinach is OK for me, it's the texture I don't really like (not crunchy enough). Good idea on just nixing the lettuce though! I'll have to look at what other vegetables I can use -- all I really know of is tomatoes and cucumbers and peppers. Hmm.

WildThings: Carrot and raisin salad sounds AWESOME! Also the broccoli/mayo combination sounds good. Thanks. As for the greens -- thanks for the idea, but I've tried pre-mixed salad bags, with iceberg, romaine, arugula... most of the things you mentioned, and I didn't really like any of them. But maybe that's OK.

Last edited by Skyra; 03-13-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Skyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

Hmm, I am a sucker for Cesar Salads with croutons. I looooove my croutons. I learned a long time ago that if you really are into the creamy, dressed salads, go for it! Just learn portion control.

For instance, I can have a whole Full head of romaine tore up and mixed with 1/4 cucumber, 1 whole grated carrot, 1 hard boiled egg, and I can afford to put in a handful of homemade croutons and two tbsp of light cesar or ranch dressing, the only downside is I have to split the whole thing in half. I'll have half for dinner one night, the other half for lunch the next day.
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:08 PM   #7  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

I don't really like lettuce either so I just mix a big bowl of veggies. My usual salad consists of halved cherry tomatoes, green onion, broccoli, cucumber, shredded carrot and sometimes radishes. I usually top it off with a serving of light crumbled feta and balsamic vinegar. If you don't like the vinegar, what about fat free italian or a salad spritzer? If you feel you must use a creamy dressing, find the lightest one you still enjoy and use it as a dip on the side rather than coating the entire salad. You will use much less this way.

I used to hate salad too but now I like it and I even had a craving for some last night as a bed time snack. That is so not like me lol. Once you find something you can tolerate, it will grow on you until you begin to enjoy it.
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Have you ever tried butter lettuce, tastes entirely different than iceberg lettuce.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #9  
Let go laughing

S/C/G: 265/254/150

Height: 5'10"

I am a ranch lover - used to put it on everything, can't get enough of that stuff. I found a ranch spray dressing, which is a lot lower calorie, and if I'm in a restaurant, I get regular ff ranch on the side and just dip my fork in the ranch then get a bite of salad. That way I get the flavor but for a TON less calories. I tried dipping my salad into it, but I couldn't control myself that way - but just dipping the fork, there's only so much you can get on there

I like the other suggestions about just having veggie salads with whatever veggies you like. I've had a tomato and fresh mozzarella salad with a few spinach leaves that I LOVED. You just have to be careful about how much mozzarella there is, but if it's fresh, I really don't feel like I need dressing because the cheese is so creamy. mmmmm...
s rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Yup, what they said. My lunch for tomorrow has no lettuce in it. Avocado makes a nice mush instead of dressing and so does cottage cheese.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #11  
Cute, Curvy, Coquettish

Location: Manchester, New Hampshire. Originally from California

S/C/G: 192.5/180ish- I think! /150.0

Height: 5'1"

I usually enjoy green salad during the Spring and Summer months.

I love Romaine and top mine with turkey, kidney beans and a drizzle of Fat Free Ranch Dressing. Not very exciting, but it gets my dark greens in.
bunny43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

a great non lettuce salad - hearts of palm, grape tomatoes, diced red tomatoes, cubes avocado - dressed with some lemon juice, crushed garlic, salt and pepper.

Baby spinach, mandarin oranges, craisins, orange peppers, shredded carrots, pomegranate seeds, grape tomatoes, hearts of palm, chopped toasted pecans - with a raspberry vinaigrette.

Shredded red cabbage, shredded carrots, toasted nuts, mandarin oranges, diced mango, pomegrante seeds with a vinegar/brown sugar dressing.

Homemade "diet" coleslaw - shredded green cabbage, shredded carrots, 1 tbsp light mayo, salt, pepper, splenda and WATER.

Grilled chicken goes great in salads too, like the above baby spinach salad. Switch around the fruits, veggies - customize it to YOUR liking.

Cucumber, mango, red onion salad - dressed with lime juice and cilantro.

Cucumber, red onion, tomato salad - add diced small, dressed with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Can add oregano and/or diced peppers.

You can make grilled or roasted veggie salads too. Portobello mushrooms, onions, grape tomatoes, peppers. Either on a bed of greens or not.

BE CREATIVE. Experiment. Think outside the box.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I sometimes use salsa as a dressing (yum), either mango salsa if I want something sweet or regular. You can get spicy or chunky or more of a paste, whatever floats your boat, and it isn't that many more calories. I've used guacamole too, usually homemade. And hummus, now that I think about it.

If, like some others have said, NOTHING but creamy (and delicious) floats your boat, measure out a tablespoon or two and put it in a little side dish. Dip your fork and then pick up some salad. It is surprising how much less you can use that way, and you still get all the flavor.
effie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Yes, I also use salsa occasionally to dress my salads regular salads and I make a great chicken taco salad.

You can also in place of salads eat - veggies. Roasted, grilled, sautee'd.

But I do urge you to experiment. Google red cabbage salads or whatever may please you to get some ideas - then customize to suit your needs. Play around.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #15  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

My favorite dressing is half hummus and half ff plain yogurt. It also adds fiber and protein to my salad.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote