Old 03-13-2010, 03:11 PM   #1  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

Default pleasantly plump?

okay, so i was at work the other day and I was talking to this new guy. So he told me he thinks I'm hot, and I told him this is ridiculous considering I'm fat.

He told me i wasn't fat, just pleasantly plump. (still didn't make me feel any better)

what does that mean? Is this the new term for chubby? man i just really want to know. lol.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #2  
Cheesecake? Yes plz!

S/C/G: 155/149.8/135

Height: 5'7"

Don't take this the wrong way, but I've never called a human that, but I work with animals and when there is a dog or cat that is a little overweight, we refer to them as pleasantly plump. We can't classify them as overweight or we don't think they are obese, just have a little extra and could loose a few extra.

In all honesty, I'd take it as a compliment and roll with it. I may be jumping into none of my business... but... does new guy at work like you perhaps? Is he cute? This may be a great thing going!
LuckyJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #3  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

If a guy told you that, it means he likes your curves . It was a complement.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It's quite an old expression, so if it's "new" it's only in the sense of being "new again."

It's a less sexual way of saying "you're pretty and curvy in a good way."

I think it may be becoming a term more likely to hear in the workplace, because sensitivity training and sexual harassment concerns make even vaguely sexual statements inappropriate for the workplace (although if he used the word "hot," he's not too concerned).

Last edited by kaplods; 03-13-2010 at 04:19 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #5  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Meh. From a woman I'd take it a bit more sensitively. But as men say, "More cushion for the pushin'?" *blush*

I know my BF prefers heavier women, and I thinbk its a combination of really loving our chests and behinds... I also think that perhaps he has low self esteem and is too afraid to go for a more "beautiful" woman. I don't know, maybe that's my own insecurity. I know he loves my body, though, and thinks I beautiful *blush*

I also really think that as we get older, men start to appreciate all women

Pleasantly plump is actually a very old term.

And, Mickey, we know you're HOT from your profile pic!
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #6  
Actual hot librarian.

S/C/G: 189/150.0/149

Height: 5'7.5"

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And culturally defined. This idea that only the stick thin can be cute is only a few decades old.

Go to an art museum and check out the paintings and sculptures. You will see beautiful women of all sizes.

I agree with Jules - sounds like he likes you
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 274/250/145

I can't believe a guy said you were hot and you said you were fat! He probably just said pleasantly plump, because really, what do you say to that?

You're very pretty! Of course a guy would think you're hot!
casey87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 140/132/110

Height: 5'3

Yeah, it's a compliment, and also sort of a joke to make the situation less nerve-wracking. It's hard to continue an interaction after a girl calls herself fat.
SeventeenTheStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:52 PM   #9  
Not so starving student

S/C/G: 152.3/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

I'd role with it! Not all guys like stick and bones type girls. Imagine hugging a supermodel. It would probably hurt because they are just skin and bones!
rosekeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

Yes, it's an old term.
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:57 PM   #11  
Sammi

S/C/G: 243.5/201.5/149

Height: 5'5''

I'm pretty sure I first heard the term on South Park...

But seriously, some guys do think that's hot. Just because YOU don't think it is, don't discount his taste.
aliquot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:44 AM   #12  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Nearly as old as Ruebenesque (after the artist who used chubby nudes)
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:57 AM   #13  
banned

S/C/G: 222/136/?

Height: 5'10

Take it from me I'm a guy. It means you actually look healthy and not like a lot of these girls that are sickly thin, ie Jolene Blalock and others. There are actually some guys out there who do not find it sexy once you get below a certain weight point.
benchmarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:01 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 253.8/Ticker/160

Ok just my opinion... You kinda painted him into the corner. He gave you a compliment and you came back with basically "your lying or stupid because I think I am fat do you agree?" Learn to take a compliment. I know this because I self deprecate myself all the time and it is a nasty nasty habit that comes from being fat most of my life. One of those you can't make fun of me or say something to hurt my feelings if I do it first. Pay attention to how he acts and don't let him get by with being mediocre to you. If he likes you he will work to show you. If you catch him being smoozey with the other girls he is a player and move on. Just my thoughts. But most importantly feel good about yourself, know your worth, and expect men to be interested and don't put their opinion of you above your own.
bremro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 145/ticker/125

Height: 5' 2"

Ours is one of the very few cultures on the planet in which being called "plump" or even "fat" is considered an insult. We think if someone notices we're larger than other girls they must think we have weaker strength of character or something. But in other countries size is just size. There is no moral implication. I remember when I was in the fifth or sixth grade, I was overweight, and American kids would tease me mercilessly. But my aunts from Singapore came to visit, looked at my growing chest and hips, and said, "You must be popular with the boys."

Oh, and I just remembered: have you ever read Anne of Green Gables? Anne (with an "e" ) has a big inferiority complex because she's skinny. She envies her best friend Diane for being, literally, "plump" and rosy-cheeked with tons of admirers writing declarations of love for her on the trees.

Also, women take it a lot more seriously than men. The other day I was complaining about my body, as usual, and my sweetie said, "You actually look very small. From the waist up you look like a freshman in college. You just carry weight in your thighs." My first reaction was to be offended, but really, he was just stating a fact. And obviously he finds me sexy anyway, and says so at least once a day.

So this is the way your coworker sees it: you're "plump," and you're pretty. There's nothing incongruent about it.
tkm256 is offline   Reply With Quote