Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-13-2010, 12:46 AM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Do you still look overweight at a size 12?

So I'm officially a 12 (yay!) they're a little snug (especially if they a low rise fit) but I'm there. I really feel like I don't look *overweight* anymore and I just look normal, not skinny by any means, but good. Of course, I'm always wondering what other people see when they see me. I don't want to be delusional and I often wonder if I'm feeling thinner just because I was so heavy or if I really look *normal*. So anyway if you're a 12 do you feel *normal* size?
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 183/170/128

Height: 5'5

Hey ncuneo,

I am about exactly your size. We're weight loss twins! lol. I do not feel overweight at this size either. I mean, sure I still want to get to goal, but this size does not keep me from feeling sexy either. I bet you look amazing!
katybug12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:04 AM   #3  
Losing weight since 2009

S/C/G: 310/138/132

Height: 5'7

Good question. I'm a size 10/12 (closer to 12 than 10) and I don't feel obese anymore but I do feel overweight. After being obese for so many years (about 10 years) being in an 'normal' size is really weird and my brain is still needs to catch up with my weight loss. I tend to think I'm bigger than I really am but I have been having more and more moments where I'm feeling 'normal-sized' so for me I think it's just going to take some time.
Gracie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:59 AM   #4  
I shall be released...

Height: 5'8"

I think it depends on the person. My mom is around a size 12 at 5'2 150ish pounds and she still looks overweight. I think that's partly because of her height and her apple shape. She's still way thin compared to me though!
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:15 AM   #5  
Always drink your water..

S/C/G: 215/198.5/119

Height: 5'1"

Hi Ncuneo, you should check out My Body Gallery. It gives you a whole new perspective on how you look to other people.
Dippy Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:50 AM   #6  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

I'm running about a US size 10/12 in most clothes, and I still feel pretty big (which I am; I'm 6' tall and hovering around 196 at the moment) but not exactly fat. Part of this is because these size 10s and 12s I'm wearing look more like 1980s size 14s and 16s to me, which is what I wore the last time I was this size.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:53 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

I think height is a huge factor.

For me, I couldn't imagine being smaller than, say, a size 8...but, I'm 5'8" and a size 10. I didn't feel fat at a size 12. I felt pretty darned amazing actually! :-)

A lot of it is a personal preference, too. I don't like superskinny on me. But, others at my height do. It's an individual thing!

Last edited by Cali Doll; 03-13-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:10 AM   #8  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I'm sometimes a size 12, and just as frequently a size 10, and my feelings about whether I'm overweight vary.

My doctor thinks I could still stand to lose five to 10 pounds, which would land me well within the "normal" BMI range.

When I'm visiting my mother in Upstate NY, where I grew up, I look "normal" -- or, to use a word I'd prefer, "average" -- and probably on the slightly slimmer side of normal. In grocery stores, malls, in the crowd at antique shows or any other large outdoor event that I attend, I'd be grouped with women who are not overweight compared with the norm.

BUT ... when I'm walking around where I live, just outside of Manhattan, or if I'm within the city itself (outside of the touristy area around Times Square), I look slightly heavier than average. Middle and upper-middle-class white women down here are under more pressure to keep their weight on the lower side and are much, much more likely to exercise regularly. In the vinyasa yoga class and Pilates classes at my gym, for instance, at size 12, depending on who shows up, I'm very often **noticeably** the heaviest woman in the class. If I'm in a low mood, this can be frustrating and demoralizing. I've gone from size 22 to 12, and STILL, I'm the fat girl in the room.

Thank goodness I don't work in the fashion industry, or in entertainment, constantly among actresses and dancers, or I'd feel even more alienated & heavy.

I'm the last one to offer easy platitudes about learning to love yourself & the importance of paying attention only to what's right for you personally, never mind the people around you, but that's what I'm wrestling with. "Normal" and "average" are defined by one's peer group, and that peer group is ever-changing (the neighborhood, the office, the Pilates class, the crowd at the mall), so you have to make your own decisions about your health & appearance, set your own True North on your own personal compass & stick to it. Or it will swing constantly, depending who's standing next to you, or who you just saw on TV or onstage, and you will never feel contented with yourself.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 185/161/148

Height: 5'5"

You know, I think you/we probably do look "normal"--which is to say, about the size of the average woman. Not many would really notice the weight.

But, see, we want to look GREAT, don't we?
Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi there ncuneo,

I'm not a size 12 and haven't been for quite a few years.

I just wanted to offer you encouragement. I'm not sure what looks right or normal, but as I read you, I was wondering if you *feel* healthy where you are, or is there still more work to do?

I feel so unhealthy at my weight. I would love to be slimmer and I think I'd be prettier if I were. But, I have to say that my number one reason for never giving up on trying to lose weight is that my health definitely suffers at this weight. Someday I hope I beat this and can experience feeling healthy.

Best wishes to you.
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 225/225/160

Height: 5'10.5

I'm a size 10/12...but on top, I'm a size 8. I'm also almost 5'11..so no, I don't feel overweight (according to BMI I'm not either, but I take that with a grain of salt.) But I still feel like I have more to lose...remember...you know your body best.
summerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Depends. Height, shape, skinny fat or not, quality and fit and style of clothes. Then of course there's the eye of the beholder (both yourself and other people). I think it's truly an impossible question. Even if you completely customized your opinion of your body considering all the factors, every different person looking at you is going to have their own ideal in mind.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 03-13-2010 at 01:12 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #13  
love it or lose it

S/C/G: 210/209/150

Height: 5'2"

I think it depends on height also.. I am only 5'2" and right now I am in a 14. I am a pear shape and have bigger legs and booty. But when I was in a 12 I still felt overweight... which I think has to do with my height

I am sure you look great!
shortandfluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #14  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

I'm a size 12. In fact, I started my weight loss journey AT size 12. So I most definitely feel like I look overweight. In fact, just a couple pounds ago I wasn't just overweight--according to the BMI standards, I was obese.

I think height plays a large role in it too.
Wild Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 260/200/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I think height is a huge factor.

For me, I couldn't imagine being smaller than, say, a size 8...but, I'm 5'8" and a size 10. I didn't feel fat at a size 12. I felt pretty darned amazing actually! :-)

A lot of it is a personal preference, too. I don't like superskinny on me. But, others at my height do. It's an individual thing!
Cali Doll hit it right on the nose, imho! Also, it's attitude! You're a 12! Be proud and WORK IT!!!

Currently I'm size 10, but a 12 when pants are low rise due to a saggy lower tummy from losing so much lbs. But none the less, I walk with a swagger in my step because I am proud of what I've accomplished and still working toward my goal!
Violin Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote