Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #1  
:3

S/C/G: 160/149/145

Default Question for the Pears Out There!

And not the fruits, for any real pears that happen to be reading this. ;D

So I'm pretty much the epitome of a pear-shape, and as fate would have it, all of the 10+ pounds I've lost have come out of everywhere but my butt/hips.

So, fellow pears, what is/was your experience losing weight in terms of that area? Did you start to lose it from there after a certain point, or was there never much loss at all?

See, I haven't been smaller than a 12-14 in jeans, and one thing I've been telling myself to keep me going is that someday I will fit into size 10s. But I can only lose about 15 more pounds before I start getting a little too close to the "Unhealthy" BMI range, so I'm wondering if this goal is even realistic... :X

So girls, what do you say? =)
Oshaberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 270/230/165

Height: 5'9"

I've found that I lose more on my bottom half when I'm doing some sort of cardio exercise frequently. Not spot training, of course, but the inches do seem to come off faster when I'm doing that regularly. That may just be for me, though!
jennyplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I'm a pear, at goal and my thighs are still my problem area I have the exact same shape, just smaller! My butt is pretty cute, though.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #4  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

Specifically my butt has not gotten noticably smaller (very nice and toned though). My thighs have come down though. The thing that concerns me is the hips; If you are like me...you have wide hips because of your bone structure, and there is nothing you can do about that. I am sure if that is the case (and even if it isn't) you look slammin' in your size 12's!
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #5  
A Turtle loser

S/C/G: 254/239/200

I carry my weight in my hips and butt, I have found walking trims the hips, but lunges and squats really tones up my buttocks tight.,but mostly cardio. I too lose everwhere but my hips and butt. i lose it from my upper back, and my ankles and my wrists, my calfs my fore arms, it appears the more I lose from those areas it makes my hips look even bigger, but eventually it will catch up.
Michelle1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:27 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

Have you looked at different styles in pants? I always find the "curvy" style fits me best, and it usually turns out to be a smaller size than the equivalent "straight" style, if the size is important to you. The curvy cuts generally have a rounder butt, bigger thighs, and smaller waist, and they look FANTASTIC on you if you have a pear or hourglass shape. And you don't always have that weird open gap at your lower back.

Gap/Banana Republic have at least three different cuts, and Old Navy might also since they are part of the same parent corporation I think. The Gap jeans and pants are actually called "curvy" if I remember correctly.

The Banana Republic ones have names (like Lane Bryant has/used to): Ryan fit? if I remember right is the curvy one. Find the most veteran-looking sales person and ask her which it is. There are probably other stores too, those are the ones I get most of my work clothes in. Banana Republic is at the expensive end of my budget, so I only ever buy off the clearance rack there.

Some store lines also work better than others for different shapes. I will never, ever, ever find an an Ann Taylor pant or jacket that fits me properly, no matter what size I get. Whoever their fit models are, they are a totally different shape than me. Same with Express.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:35 AM   #7  

Fascinating, I do okay at Ann Taylor but Banana Republic is always cut too narrow, I don't even try there anymore!

Last edited by Glory87; 03-13-2010 at 02:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-13-2010, 01:39 AM   #8  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

I hear this! My waist and thighs are pretty huge compared to the rest of me, yet when I start losing weight... It's coming off my stomach! What! Stomach, chest, arms, neck... But my booty is just as wide as ever.

I can't say too much about when I started losing from there, because I don't know. I know I started losing a lot from my thighs at one point, yet my butt STILL didn't lose any inches (seems kind of weird to me). Though don't worry about it too much. A lot of thin women are apple or pear shape. When you really get down there... you can't tell anymore.

Personally, I think pear women look more attractive too, since we don't carry as much weight in our face, and generally look thinner than someone who is the same weight but apple shaped.
Wild Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:21 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

Glory87: Ha! Maybe I should go back to Ann Taylor; I haven't tried them since a couple of sizes ago. But I also got turned off from the stores because when I go in (I don't know if this is just my local area) all the customers are very, very skinny, and none of the sales people ever say hello, or even acknowledge my presence. Is that their "thing"? Because that's the only chain that happens to me in, in every one of the 3 stores in our metro area I've tried.

So even though I'm an 8/10 now I still get that OMG, there's a fat chick in here, maybe if we ignore her she'll go away vibe. I went in one three months ago when I was back in the U.S. and wandered around the whole (empty) store, without any employee even looking at me. So I went right out next door to the BR where someone promptly looked me in the eye when I came in the door, smiled and said "Hello! Let me know if I can help you."

Public service announcement: If you work for Ann Taylor and this sounds weird to you, babe, you need to go and do some secret shopper stuff in your MSP stores. I got some money to spend, and y'all aren't getting any of it.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:37 AM   #10  

Oh - I forgot, I made my friend (my BEST friend) take pictures of my butt in Vegas.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1401845193

Definite pear!
Old 03-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #11  
:3

S/C/G: 160/149/145

jennyplain: Really? I'll try that then. I've mostly done light cardio so far, I guess it's time I amp it up a little.

Glory87: Yup, I look like you, but a lot bigger. =P You're right at my target weight too, I hope I look that good when I reach it. ;D

mescelestus: Yeah, I've got the pear bone structure too. I have a feeling if you tried to stuff my bare skeleton into anything smaller than a 6 it wouldn't fit. ;P It's good to know that I'll shape up even if I don't lose inches though.

Azulfire: Yeah, I feel like my hips look bigger the more I lose in my waist and upper body. I feel like more of a triangle than an pear anymore. xD

bronzeager: I'll look at those brands, thanks. I have some pair of jeans (I think the brand is "Angel") that make me look good, but they're getting worn out.
And I'm sorry that happened to you in the store. I don't think I've ever been to that chain (we don't have a lot of "big" stores in my area), but if I ever do, I'll watch for that.

Wild Vulpix: Yeah, I know what you mean! It's like literally EVERYWHERE but the butt! =P I'd actually like to lose it off my thighs like you, because right now that's even wider than my butt. >.< And I really like the pear-shape too, I think it's lovely.

Thanks for the replies everyone, it's really encouraging. =) We pears gotta stick together! ;D
Oshaberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #12  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Sorry to butt - I am not a pear - but I think that you lose last from the area where you are genetically predispositioned to accumulate fat. For somebody it's the thighs and the but, for somebody the boobs, for somebody the middle section (my case).
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:15 PM   #13  
Almost there

S/C/G: 210/147/145

Height: 5'4"

I am a definite pear. From about 5 inches above my belly button up, I look like a size 10 or 12. From there down, I'm just now fitting properly into size 14 pants.

I find that it's taking me a long time to lose inches and fat from my stomach and thighs. Of course, those were the fattiest parts of me at my high weight, so I guess it makes sense, but it's very frustrating.

My realistic goal is to get my lower half down to size 10. My ultimate goal is to get my lower half down to size 8. I do not know if my body type can do that without losing too much weight. I'm crossing my fingers that toning can get me where weight loss alone can't.

I do know that you're faster to drop sizes the closer you get to your healthy weight, so you might be able to bring yourself lower than you think if you drop those last few pounds! Even if you can't drop lower than 12, you shouldn't get too fixated on the size you wear, and instead focus on how awesome you look when you've got flattering clothes on. Your body can only do so much, and what's healthy for your body will look great no matter what size is on the pants label!
Kirjava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #14  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

I've always been a pear no matter my weight. However, this is natural and I love it!! Being a pear is sexy!! Always remember that! Having larger hips, thighs, and a rear end is a good thing, as well as a woman's greatest asset.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #15  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I'm pear-shaped, nearly always one size lower on top than on the bottom.

I lose in the waist first, but that slows eventually, and then it's my upper body that gets whittled down. To the point where I used to think I was far more appealing to guys when I was seated -- then I'd stand up & they'd see the whole thing & realize the face & upper body were much better-looking than my rather dumpy lower half.

I'm the woman in your exercise classes with the muscular calves, the one who longs to wear knee-high boots, but has to get the weird wide-calf styles.

Unfortunately, I wasn't happy with my bottom half until I reached an unhealthy BMI. (This was at an earlier stage in my life, not now.) Yes, it took that before my butt & hips, upper thighs & calves went down to slender. But my upper body became downright gaunt.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote