Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #1  
the aly bagel

Height: 5'8"

Default Weight loss while Sick

How is everyone?

I've been sick the past 4 days. The first two days I only had a sore throat so I want to the gym and did my usual thing. Then, I took tomorrow off because I had an appointment that morning, but I did feel bad. And today, I feel worse than ever (achy muscles, sore throat, had hurts, nausea coming and going).

Usually I lose my weekly pound on a Friday, instead I've been going up and down by 3 pounds, and today I am up by a pound instead of down one like I should be (I'm 224 when I should be at least 222).
I've been counting my calories, watching what I'm eating, and exercising + drinking a ton of water.

I am thinking this could be caused by my muscles aching. Don't sore muscles hold onto water?

I would just love some input. Also, soo not going into work today. I feel like passing out!
schubunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/237/140

Height: 5'7

Hey there... I am really sick too... I am not a doctor or anything like that, but I would think that since you are sick your body is storing some water and fat to fight the infection and like you said try to restore the sore muscles. It makes sense to me!! Hope you feel better soon!!
smccaleb06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #3  
the aly bagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccaleb06 View Post
Hey there... I am really sick too... I am not a doctor or anything like that, but I would think that since you are sick your body is storing some water and fat to fight the infection and like you said try to restore the sore muscles. It makes sense to me!! Hope you feel better soon!!
Thanks smccaleb.. I bother everyone on here so much with strange threads, lol. I just hope that there is someone out there that will some day have the same questions as me and can look to these threads for answers.

I am so exhausted right now, so you are probably right, it is trying to fight this off.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

Early in my weight-loss journey, I got swine flu. Honestly, when you feel that bad, I'm just going to let my body do what it wants. I went up that week, but was down even more the next week. If I go up, it is ok; my body had a lot to handle that week, without having to think about weight loss.

I think that you just have to listen to your body. Its not an excuse to eat everything..but don't stress your body out more than necessary.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #5  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

Three weeks or so ago, I woke up with aching joints and achy, etc. I "gained" 3 pounds overnight. It was all water weight, and I lost it quickly once I was feeling better. Just wait it out, and hope you're feeling better soon.
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #6  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

When you are sick, you take time off work.

Why should it be any different in your weight loss journey? I'm not saying you should order a pizza, but you shouldn't expect your body to be able to meet your expectations of it when it is sick: for work, for singing, for weight loss. It is sick, it is not going to function as you expect it to, because it is in crisis mode.

As long as you continue to be faithful to your nutrition plan in the meantime, your body should level out once it is healed...and this is only a temporary illness, right?
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #7  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

I agree, your body needs rest. If its a cold above the neck like a stuffy nose, cough etc then you are free to workout IF you feel well enough. If you are having problems below the neck like chest, muscles or stomach, you should take it easy. Chances are, you will eat less when you are sick anyway so your calories will balance out. Remember that you need to eat around 3500 extra calories to gain a pound so as long as you have not been over eating, the gain you are seeing is not from fat. I always have to remind myself of this when I see my scale go up. Its all water weight and it too will pass with your illness. Take care of yourself and get some rest
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #8  

If this is your first time to go the gym, it is normal that you'll feel aching muscle and other muscle pain but if you aren't feel better don't force yourself to go the gym and do your workouts.

Our body needs to rest and it is not good push our body to the limit.
shairawilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #9  
the aly bagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnlow28 View Post
Remember that you need to eat around 3500 extra calories to gain a pound so as long as you have not been over eating, the gain you are seeing is not from fat.
For sure Right now I still have 800 calories yet and I'm not even hungry, usually I'd have more of an apetite than this but I just... don't. I do feel a lot better though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shairawilliams View Post
If this is your first time to go the gym, it is normal that you'll feel aching muscle and other muscle pain but if you aren't feel better don't force yourself to go the gym and do your workouts.
I've been going to the gym since December, so I would say it's the cold making me achy. Plus I haven't done anything more riggorous and haven't been there in 2 days. It's like being sore but without he reward, it sucks LOL

Alos thank you to everyone for the get well wishes. I really appreciate it. I chose not to go into work today and instead took a nap and ate some good and filling foods. I've been drinking water like crazy but still feel dehydrated, but I'm working on it.

Last edited by schubunny; 03-12-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

I've been sick for the past week-10 days, I finally went to the Doctor's and she said I had a sinus infection, seriously this is the worst sickness I've had in years, I've felt so terrible. When it first started I went to the gym like normal, but now I haven't been to the gym in 5 days, I was just exhausted after work, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I decided missing a few days in the gym due to illness is not the end of the world and the scale has been stable for me. The antibiotics are starting to kick in so it will be back to the gym in no time!
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:55 AM   #11  
I shall be released...

I had 2 separate colds in the last 3 weeks, both horrible in their own way. It definitely affected my my weight loss. I was puffy and bloated and the scales confirmed. I wasn't able to exercise much but stayed pretty well on plan with my diet. My weight went back down between colds, but I'm just over the second and the numbers are still a little elevated. I'm just being patient.

I hope you're feeling better soon!

Last edited by JustSharing83; 03-13-2010 at 02:56 AM.
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote