Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 03-11-2010, 12:42 AM   #1  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

Default Strange trigger food..

Salad. I discovered that salads are my trigger food, and they make me want to BINGE. On just salad though, nothing else.

Fortunately, my salads consist just of lettuce and vinegar, so although it's not super healthy, it's not unhealthy either.

I had a about 3 bowls already though, and if I wasn't laying in bed right now, I'd probably be tempted to get a third. I even got a little possessive when my father grabbed some of the lettuce for himself. I didn't say anything, but my thoughts at the moment were: mine!

I wouldn't say I'm a big binger. There HAVE been times that I've aten so to the point of feeling uncomfortably full. Usually those times aren't from binging, per say, but because I aim to 'clean my plate' as taught.

There has only been one time in my life that I ate to the point of puking. And that thing was, go figure, salads.

I'm not so concerned about what I'm eating, because binging on a low calorie salad isn't as bad for your body as binging on, say, chips... but I'd say the state of mind is no better. There's something in my mind... that just isn't satisfied yet. I would HATE to give up my salads... they are sooo good... but... why can't I just feel satisfied and not fight myself on getting 'one more bowl'? I'm not even hungry, but I want it so bad. One more, and I'm sure my craving will be gone and I'll be content. Unfortunately... it doesn't work out that way.
Wild Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180 / 137 (regained) / 100

Height: 5'2"

That is really interesting... I do something somewhat similar.

If I am eating with a group of people and not just food I have prepared for myself, a big serving bowl of salad OR any kind of veggies really is a trigger. I feel possessive of it, and catch myself getting annoyed with people with every spoonful they serve themselves. Part of my thinking is "You guys can have bread with butter, wine, mashed potatoes, etc with your meal, let ME have the veggies!" But the thing is, there is plenty for all of us. Another problem I think is I feel like I give myself permission to go crazy with bingeing on salads and veggies because they are so low calorie. Even if my stomach is starting to hurt I think "Oh, one more bowl won't hurt, that's probably only 40 more calories. Plus, it's healthy right?" But it's not healthy ever to eat until it hurts.

I guess I don't have any good advice for you, I'm sorry! I just want to let you know that I can sympathize on some level. I hope someone else has a good suggestion.
teff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #3  

Another salad girl here. Veggies too. That is an interesting trigger food. For me, salad has always been my safety food. I can enjoy it guilt free, same with veggies. And I do load up on them.
Could it be that you aren't feeling satisfied becuase you aren't getting much substance in the salads? Could it be that your body is still needing nutrition and that's why you are going back for 2nds and 3rds? Maybe if you added some lean protein you might feel more satisified afterwards.
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:59 AM   #4  
Wandervogel

S/C/G: 241/214.5/150

Height: 5'4

I found myself exhibiting similar behavior with cereal.. until I took a multivitamin! Maybe you are experiencing a deficiency like Gogirl suggested.

Also... HELLO FELLOW POKEMON!!!!
Raichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:09 AM   #5  
Quite A Character

S/C/G: 270/176/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Could it be that you aren't feeling satisfied becuase you aren't getting much substance in the salads? Could it be that your body is still needing nutrition and that's why you are going back for 2nds and 3rds? Maybe if you added some lean protein you might feel more satisified afterwards.
I agree... I think adding some lean protein and/or raw nuts/seeds would be a good idea.

I love salads too, but I never eat them without some sort of protein source.
ambpure is offline   Reply With Quote