Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 07:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Long Run Challenge #1 - Week 3

Starting week 3 of our three week challenge - Even if you missed weeks one or two, its not to late to join in!

Our original post in week 1:

To change behavior, it is said to take 21 consecutive days to make the new behavior habit or to undo bad habits. This challenge is to help us focus on behavioral changes.

Think about what you want to focus on for a three week period. Do you want to commit to journaling, drinking water, exercising, or undo any poor habits? Be realistic about what you can really commit to doing every day. Set as few or as many as you want. Start with one for the first week and build up over the next week or start with them all now. There are no rules as this challenge is to help us achieve our goals for the long run. Post your goals and periodically post how you're doing. At the end of the three weeks, post how you did overall whether its new insight, pounds lost, or improved physical condition. Have fun and feel great!!

Please join me as I start my first 21-day challenge. I will be starting a new thread each Friday because often the weekends are one of our biggest undoings. Join us whenever you want. Just don't give up if it gets tough. Rethink and revise your goals. Just keep challenged!

Old 08-31-2002, 07:43 AM   #2  

Ladies,

I started this challenge thread so that maybe it would help me keep focused on my overall goals and start making progress. The challenge works great when I focus on it. I've had some circumstances that I've allowed to keep me from being focused. There will always be circumstances. So, while our challenge enthusiasm has sort of died down, let's not let it die completely. I'm reposting from the first week what I wanted to achieve in a three-week challenge. I'm reposting how I wanted to get there. I am recommitting to my challenge as of today! Let's get rechallengized and re-energized!

Here's my overall goals for the first challenge:

1. Focus on planning and journalling.

2. Stay within my weekly food point allotment.

3. Rebuild exercise stamina.

To achieve this, for week one, I commit to:

1. Journalling food everyday using WW Online journal. Track my points banked in my calendar.

2. Increase my strength-building exercise time to 20 minutes daily.

For week two,

I am going to add 30 minutes of cardio a night.

For week 3, I am going to stick with my original plans for weeks 1 and 2 but try to recognize the roadblocks that keep me from achieving those goals. I need to become more aware and focused so that I'm moving ahead.

Old 09-01-2002, 05:00 PM   #3  

Sunday -

This morning I did my 20 minutes of strength-building and I've journalled my points so far.

I'm recognizing that one of my roadblocks is related to allergies. When the air quality is bad, I feel listless and apathetic. When I feel like that, I eat poorly and can't get myself to exercise. I'm probably not ever going to make that just disappear so I need to be more cognizant of it and just work through it.

I'm going to go do cardio exercise before I do anything else.

Later on -
I did 10 mins on the airdyne and 18 mins on the spinner. It definitely was a matter of getting past the mental block. Once I did, it felt fabulous. The mind sure is working against me these days.

Last edited by Terri in MO; 09-01-2002 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-02-2002, 05:46 PM   #4  

Checking in for Monday:

I did my strength-building exercises. Twenty minutes is very doable now and feels better everyday. I saw some pilates exercises for abs in Prevention magazine and am going to give a few of them a try.

Also, got in 25 minutes of cardio between the airdyne and the spinner.

Still battling a huge case of apathy. I blame in on the poor air quality and allergies. Starting to make me think I need something for depression instead. Whatever it is, its still trying to wreck havoc on being focused.

I've journalled my food for the day in spite of it not being WW friendly. I made banana bread this morning for DH and tried a slice. It was the giant BBQ sandwich we ate while out taking a drive. I did try for the turkey but they were out. I also ordered sweet potato fries instead of regular but didn't care for them that much so I left a lot behind.

My food plan for the rest of the week is to take my own breakfasts and avoid the cafeteria. We need to stock up on fruits and veggies. For lunch, I will take frozen dinners and add a small salad. Dinners this week will probably be: orange roughy, salmon loaf, grilled chicken, and hamburgers with lots of veggies and a few carbs (rice, potato or pasta).

Old 09-04-2002, 07:31 AM   #5  

Tuesday's results:

I journalled as planned and ended up at the max points for the day. Exercise points brought me back within my allotment. My points bank for the week is zero.

I did not get to exercise last night as planned. Spent too much time on the phone with cable internet tech support and then working in the garden. My ultimate goal is to get up early enough in the morning to earn three points before going to work. That way if I get nothing done at night (which is usual) I will still be okay.

Dinner was baked orange roughy, green beans, and a small baked potato. Delicious!

I am definitely fighting allergy overload and a small sinus infection. Which explains my moping and whining around. I've started taking echineacea so hopefully it will clear up in a day or two. Now just to keep myself from being stupid with food is the trick.

As I'm winding up my first three week challenge, I am finding that it is helping. I am doing better at journalling and I'm regaining stamina for exercise.

If you're out there lurking, come on in and join me!

Old 09-04-2002, 09:34 AM   #6  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

WEDNESDAY. Starting today I'm back to journaling. Hope to get in a walk today. Can't wait for the Y to reopen the pool, next Monday after it's cleaning. I need the push of having paid for my exercise to get me to do it.

So Far today no , no , no and no urge to eat them.!

I'll be back later.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:23 AM   #7  

Default Wednesday's report:

Doing well with journalling. I ended up right at my max again for the day. I forgot my fruit for snacks yesterday and ended up with something from the vending machine. I was a good girl when I went to Wendy's for lunch though - grilled chicken sandwich and a side salad with fat free dressing! And I love Wendy's fries so I felt good about that.

I didn't get any evening exercise in because I was so tired when I got home from work. I have talked to the allergist about trying different meds to see if that helps perk me up.

The scale is refusing to budge. Absolutely refusing. I do feel my body changing and it looks different too. Hard not to throw in the towel though. One step at a time!

My focus for Thursday will be to get a few points banked and more fat-burning exercise.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:59 AM   #8  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

It's THURSDAY!
Made it through Wednesday at the low end of my range (that doesn't happen very often!). Journaled faithfully. Hope tday goes as well.
Old 09-07-2002, 07:42 PM   #9  

Default Challenge #1 wrap-up:

I'm wrapping up my first 3 week (this one was 4) challenge.

What did I want to accomplish?
1. Focus on planning and journallng
2. Rebuild exercise stamina
3. Stay within my weekly point allotment

How did I do?
1. I had a lot of focused days; some not. Overall, I think I was more in touch with what I was eating.
2. My body did respond to the exercise and I am getting my stamina back.
3. I mostly stayed within my weekly allotment.

I feel like the challenge was a success for me. You'll notice that I'm not posting a wonderful loss but that really wasn't one of my goals. I am trying to change my focus from numbers to overall health. I feel better and I'm looking better. I will never wear a size 8 but I can be healthy, energetic and feel great about my body.

One thing that was very apparent to me during this challenge is how real life plays havoc with my focus. During this time, we lost a beloved animal, had tree problems, work was awful and allergies kicked my butt. I allowed my focus to slip through my fingers during these times. One change was that I did get back on track sooner than later as in the past. This is definitely something I have to work on.

On to the next 3 week challenge!
Closed Thread