Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

Height: 5'6"

Exclamation Shin spints! OW!

What do you doooooo? It hurts terribly and I've had it for about a week now in my right leg. How do I make it heal and that pain go away, and what kind of exercise can I do in the mean time?
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:51 PM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Rest, ice.

Shin splints have SO many causes that diagnosis over the internet is even less useful than for most injuries. If the pain remains severe or returns when you resume exercise go see a doctor. Preferably one that knows something about exercise.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #3  
westernsoutherngirl

S/C/G: 170/164/145

Height: 5'6'

Once you get past this episode, a stretch that works for me to avoid shin splints (and has worked for all the friends I have recommended it to) is to lay on your back and put your legs straight up in the air. Then flex and point your toes - vary it - one foot at a time, flex repeatedly, then hold the flex and point. Flex and point both feet at the same time. I do this for about 2 mins before and after I run and it makes a HUGE difference. I don't know why it works but it does - I learned this stretch about 20 years ago (GASP) in aerobics and it always works!
westernsoutherngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #4  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Also, make sure you are wearing running shoes that are right for you. Not all running shoes are equal, some are made for overpronaters, some are made for underpronaters.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #5  

Oh do I know what you mean about them hurting! I still get them but they aren't as bad as they were in the beginning (I have been running 2-3x a week for 6 weeks, minus 3 in between) but have been better wearing shin sleeves. I also ice after every time I run and do various stretches like the flex and point mentioned above and I also lay face down on the bed with my feet hooked to the end and one at a time push into the bed with my foot like I'm trying to pull myself back if that makes sense. I also put a towel on the floor and with my bare feet try to pull it back with my toes. Those are just some stretches I was given by a PT BUT I'm not one so definitely check with a professional first!

Angie
angienewton is offline   Reply With Quote