General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #1  

Question Consuming vs burning

I recently signed up with the DailyPlate to track calorie intake and activity expenditure. For every calorie I burn, the program adds it back to my consumption bank. My question is, if I am on a 1800 calorie diet (the BMR/RMR for my goal weight), then burn 300 calories, should I be concerned with reconsuming those 300 calories to prevent "starvation mode"? I just seems counterproductive to me but I know that WW gives you "activity points" which allow you to eat more. Anyway, what are your thoughts on this?
ruthless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

All those numbers (including calories consumed) are, at best, rough estimates. Your best guide is your body. I'd eat 1800/day + moderate exercise for three full weeks, weighing weekly. Ignore the first weeks: that is your body adjusting. Looking at the next two, did you lose an average of 1-2 lbs a week? We your relatively sated, or were your having to control terrible hunger?

If you lost 1-2 lbs and weren't terribly hungry, keep doing what you were doing.

If you lost over 2 lbs and were terribly hungry, up your calories 100/day.

If you lost less than a lb, I'd cut back 100-200 calories/day and see what happens.

If you lost less than a lb and you were very, very hungry, change what you are eating: maybe more fiber, more vegetables, more protein, fewer carbs, something.

This is always an experiment. Figure out what your body needs.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote