Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 03-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #1  
Always drink your water..

S/C/G: 215/198.5/119

Height: 5'1"

Question A question about heels...

Hi all

I always look in awe at women who wear high heels, because even the mere thought of wearing heels makes the soles and balls of my feet throb! Despite being only 5'1" I always wear flat shoes with cushioning insoles (e.g. Doc Martens) because if I walk any distance in shoes with a non-cushioned insole the soles of my feet start to throb and ache...

So my question is....will this improve when I'm no longer carrying around 100 surplus pounds? Can anyone testify to this from personal experience? Because I keep on seeing cute shoes that I'd love to wear one day, and it would be nice to think that when I get to goal that may be possible...
Dippy Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy Chip View Post

So my question is....will this improve when I'm no longer carrying around 100 surplus pounds?
Yes and no. What I mean to say is that SOME heels will be tolerable and others, no matter how much or how little weight you are carrying around, will be intolerable, it just totally depends on the shoe. But in general it will get more comfortable for you to wear. I didn't ever wear heels at my highest weight either but it's been getting better as I go down.

I am one of the cheapest people around when it comes to buying clothes/shoes But I fully believe that good heels are worth spending money on and there is no such thing as cheap heels that are truly comfortable, just my opinion though.

Last edited by Bombe; 03-07-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #3  
Gettin' SKINNY!

S/C/G: 190+/160/140

Height: 5'4

Well sometimes when I go out I wear 6 inch heels...they take a lot of getting used to!

I don't think weight makes a difference to me personally, I've worn them at 190lbs and at 140lbs and I'm not going to lie...they can hurt!

The best thing is to buy some you like and practice. I heard the best practice is going to the supermarket using a shopping trolley-you can balance holding the cart and the ground is flat so I try out some of my more conservative heels when I am food shopping. It might look a bit crazy wearing my 5 or 6 inch heels out to Asda!!

Also make sure you get some gel cushions, they make SO much difference. Once you get a bit of confidence in wearing heels they become so much fun to go out in
Little JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Losing weight didn't make heel wearable for me. Still painful
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I LOVE wearing heels, and could not wear them at my high weight, but can wear them now....

It's SO FUN being 5'11!

Definitely depends on the shoe, but not as much as I thought. I was stunned went I went to the shoe store after losing 75 lbs and found all kinds of shoes feeling terrific and comfy. I didn't really have "fat" on my feet, but I think all the weight made them spread out more.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

I can wear heels now, and I do. Like some have already mentioned, get a good pair, not cheap ones. I was wearing the comfort brands at my high weight. When I got down to 200 lbs I was able to start wearing heels again. I started out with 3" and now wear 4"-5". I love them!
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #7  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I don't know. Dippy.
I never wore high heels much but I started to like them more and more in the last two years. But then I probably ran myself plantar fasciitis from wearing high heels. Those were leather winter boots, very dressy, and I was exctatic that after I lost weight, I could FINALLY find a boot into which my Slavic calf would fit. But my joy was short-lived. They felt super comfortable but my joy was short-lived. In 2 months, I had plantar fasciitis and had to wear sneakers with orthotics (still wearing). During that time, I ogled the said boots lovingly, anxious to wear them again. I had them on twice or three times when we went to visit friends or family so basically I wore them to the car, and then took them off at the place of destination. Then, on the way home from one party we went to a store and I whined the entire time how painful it was to walk in them. I could not wait to take them off. Seems like the year without high heels made it almost impossible to wear them again.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #8  
Results Are Typical

S/C/G: 232/217/180

Height: 5' 1.5"

The discomfort of heels is not all about the feet. They force you to lead with your hips to maintain balance thereby altering the alignment of your spine. I personally couldn't do it and also I revel in my petite stature. Nope not worth it all to me to conform to some arbitrary standard of beauty.
honeybjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I used to wear heels around 8th grade ALL the time! I weighed about 200 lbs then, and was perfectly comfortable in them (I could RUN in heels back then). These days, I can only wear them if I know I'm going to be off my feet (i.e.- drive to the restaurant, walk in, sit and eat, walk out, drvie home, take them off). I'm really hoping that when I get back down below 200 I will be as comfortable in heels as I used to be!
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #10  

I used to wear 6" heels when I was young...I got a really painful bunion in return. Now I have osteoporosis and can only wear flats with laces, buckles or velcro. Enjoy while you can!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #11  
Mission to maintenance!

S/C/G: 227/150/145

Height: 5'9

On Friday night I wore heels for the first time since my weight loss, and I can absolutely say that being 75 lbs lighter made them MUCH more manageable. Sure they still hurt a little bit but I could actually walk in them whereas before I had to sit in heels, regardless of the size!
LBLAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #12  
Jess is losing it!

S/C/G: 189/159/129

Height: 5'3"

I think it has to get better. The extra weight means there is more pressure on your feet, and the pressure is what makes heels hurt. Less weight, less pressure, less pain! It's science!

Also, I totally agree about quality. It is sooo worth it to spend money on good quality heels, and the dr. scholls for her comfy insoles are a MUST.
jazzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #13  
aka christina :)

S/C/G: 142/118/116

Height: 5'5

i've definitely noticed that some of the more expensive heels are more comfortable than the cheaper brands ..
diornotwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:38 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've gone up and down enough to say that heels usually do hurt much worse the more you carry, but I've also met women of all sizes, even always-thin and teeny-tiny women who can't wear heels.

All you can do is hope and experiment.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #15  
Always drink your water..

S/C/G: 215/198.5/119

Height: 5'1"

Thanks for all the replies...it will be intriguing to discover for myself whether it makes a difference or not!

It's not so much high heels per se that I'm curious about, it's whether carrying less weight will make being on my feet for long periods of time more comfortable, period. We go to Rome two or three times each year, and my husband can walk and walk and walk all day on the cobbled streets without feeling a twinge of discomfort in the soles of his feet, whereas mine literally throb with pain and keep me awake at night if I've done more than say 3 or 4 hours of walking. It's nothing to do with lack of fitness as such, more an issue of just pressure bearing down on my feet and almost bruising the soles.

If, after losing 100lb, I can walk all day in flats without any discomfort I"ll be thrilled...if I can branch out and wear heels for an occasional night out that will be a bonus...but first I'll have to learn to walk in them, so that I don't look like I've p**ped myself !

Last edited by Dippy Chip; 03-07-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Dippy Chip is offline   Reply With Quote