General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #1  
♥ Spinning to skinny! ♥

S/C/G: 160/139/120ish

Height: 5'1.5"

Default GARDENERS ~ Come forth!!!

It's now in the 60's here & I have stuff popping up everywhere! daylilies, lamb's ear, iris, horsetail reed, sedum, roses have leaf buds, clematis have leaf buds ... all kinds of stuff!! My pond plants are getting some height too!

Cannot WAIT for my hosta eyes to start showing!! They are usually last to wake, which is fine by me incase we get a cold snap.

What's coming in your neck of the woods?

These are louisiana iris in the pond last spring. Hope they look that good this year!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05429.jpg (39.4 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by SpinQueen; 03-10-2010 at 01:47 PM.
SpinQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #2  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Oh all the sedums are popping up. I had butterfly bush leafing out in JANUARY but it's been covered in ice since then.

I'm going for a walk in a bit, I'll check out my outside.

I've been starting tomatoes and peppers inside...
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #3  
♥ Spinning to skinny! ♥

ohhh cool!! maybe I need to check out my bb bush too!! Forgot the species but it's blooms are pink. Have to dig out my folder at some point to remember the name. All my labels have been washed from the rain.

I have seedling envy of people that can do them. A few years ago I had 22 trays going of hosta, moonvine all kinds of stuff & the cats wouldn't stay out of them. I tried moving them & putting books on them, everything & they still would not leave them alone. Fuzzies won

Hubby did do the upside down bucket thing in the spring. We got lots of maters from that.

what kind of peppers are you starting?
Old 03-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #4  
hand to mouth disease?

mine is blue (the BB bush). It looks like it kinda survived but looks pretty weak.

The yarrow is coming out, and another perennial I don't remember the name of. And the sedums (the one that looks like pink broccoli, stonecrop is it called?)...and I can't remember whether it's a shasta daisy or coneflower there but it looks like those leaves...

Also the marjoram and oregano and sage are coming back. I din't go out front to check out the bulbs...
Old 03-06-2010, 04:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

I am jealous! We have snow, snow, and more snow... about 3 feet in our 25 x 55 foot plot. I will be doing inventory this weekend on seeds and setting up to get the seedlings going.

Last year we planted our first veggie garden, it was great, if you like lots of squash. (i hated most of the varieties we had tho!) They just went crazy!

A learning experience, I had never done a veggie garden before.
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:56 PM   #6  
hand to mouth disease?

canfield, this is the perfect time to start wintersowing, get together some plastic jugs, fill em with dirt, put your flower seeds in 'em, and stick em in the snow! google "wintersowing" for more details.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/237/170

Height: 5'4"

Just today I was walking around my yard here in Maine and saw my crocuses were up, my chives are up, one lonely daffodil has appeared, and I have one pansy about to bloom. Other than that it's still frozen ground and snow. I am jealous of all you are seeing in Tennesee, but I know those 60's will make there way north soon! I too have got lupins, impatiens, basil, and cilantro going on the shelf in the kitchen. My plan is to start tomatoes tomorrow. The only way I have been able to keep my cats out of stuff is to build the shelf high and absolutely stuff it so they would have no place to land if they jumped. They are curious buggers!

I love spring!!
onanotherquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #8  
♥ Spinning to skinny! ♥

weebles - yes that sedum is stonecrop AKS: 'Autumn Joy'. I have a few of those also. They are very nice in bloom! Puffy & pink

I bet that blue BB bush is beautiful!! I had a hard time finding one at all last year. I went to several gardens & they all had the same thing species. They are pretty, I just like to be different lol

onanoterquest .... my cats are insane. They will climb on anything at any height lol I may just try to do them outdoors next time. To heck with cat battles lol

canfield .... I am not a squash fan but my neighbor can cook them to where I like them lol She grew them in her garden too. I wish I could grow veggies, but I don't have that kind of space.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #9  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

My bulbs are all coming up.

I have daffodils, crocuses and hyacinths.

I love this time of year. It's been gorgeous here today.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #10  
♥ Spinning to skinny! ♥

awesome Clydegirl!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE hyacinths! I refrigerate mine every year & put them out early last month under a big clematis. They are big blues (forgot the species) - one of my few blue plants. Only other blues I have are hosta which are still snug in bed.

Gorgeous here today too. 62º & getting warmer all this week into the 70's next week! COME ON SPRING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #11  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

We also have snow still but it's looking to be an early spring for us. We usually get a few spring snowfalls and usually one is that really heavy wet snow that breaks tree branches. Up here we don't plant gardens until the long weekend in May. Last year we had snow in the begining of June! That is NOT common.

My Mom gave me a book which details what blooms month by month in our area... I think I'm going to try have continual blooms all summer Flowers make me happy.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

weebleswobble---thanks for that tip, I looked it up. Very interesting ideas!

Thinking we might try to do the upside down pots for our tomatos this year (found instructions for homemade pots and stands! I love the internet!!). It was such a pain to try to cover all our plants when frost was threatening us by the middle to end of Sept last year. Was just a cold icky summer all together! The peppers were stubborn too.

As for flowers, I have bulbs for gladiolius. Planted those for the first time last summer but the stalks got thrashed by a couple storms so I might have to rethink location for them. I dug them up, I wasn't sure if they would survive the winter. And we have shasta daisies. The morning glories I planted didn't go to seed, so need to buy more seeds.

We have only lived in this house for a year so we are still working out the kinks. We have lots of land to work with but don't want anything too permanant cause we are only renting.

Last edited by drake3272004; 03-06-2010 at 10:01 PM.
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #13  
♥ Spinning to skinny! ♥

OMG!!!!! Saw Hosta eyes emerging this morning!! WHOO HOO!!!!!
Come on babies!!! you can do it!!! cannot WAIT to see who has multiplied!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05646.jpg (49.3 KB, 30 views)
Old 03-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Woot! Fiance helped the neighbor plant onions and radishes over the weekend! Can't wait for tomatoes!!
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #15  
♥ Spinning to skinny! ♥

Onions & radishes? You must have a lot of room?? Tomotoes are easy for me since we use upside buckets. I don't have any land or anything ... just a city lot. BLAH!! I just hang them on the fence or something. lol

So who likes roses? Here are a few of my last year blooms. They should be bigger & better this year. They were just fed bone meal the other day so they will be off to a good start!!

#1 Old English ~ Abraham Darby
#2 English ~ Fair Bianca
#3 Hybrid Tea ~ Pink Traviata
#4 Groundcover ~ Peach Drift
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06321.jpg (22.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06155.jpg (16.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06231.jpg (25.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06154.jpg (31.9 KB, 2 views)