Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 310/ticker/155

Height: 5'8

Default Sprained/Broken ankle, exercise ideas?!

hey everybody! So i'm sitting at home waiting to go to the dr. to see if I have a broken ankle or just some grade of a sprain. I was doing so well on my diet and exercising almost every day! Now I feel like such a bum sitting on the couch.... I can still eat within my calorie range but cannot do my elliptical until this stupid ankle is healed. Are there any exercises I could do that do not require using my ankle some how? haha I know it sounds dumb, but I still want to work out and not be a sitting duck for a few weeks.
farn00a57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/195/145

Height: 5'7"

Upper body weight training?
Swimming?
Work on stretches everyday?
Perhaps start a journal to keep you busy too and keep you from getting bored
Sarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:50 AM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yep, those ideas!

If you're not in a cast after your doctor visit, swimming might be great. AND if you end up on crutches, some upper body weight training will make the crutches easier (and they'll be a lot of exercise in and of themselves). You can also work up quite a sweat punching from a chair, or even standing on one foot or supported by a chair.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 310/ticker/155

Height: 5'8

awesome!! great ideas you guys! thanks! It turns out I have a grade 3 severe sprain, while it is bad and painful, it's not a break so I don't need a cast. I might do the swimming thing when it gets less painful and I'll definitely be trying out the other ideas you guys suggested. thanks again!
farn00a57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #5  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Pilates? Or just plain ole ab exercises on a mat? You may want to ask the doc if you are allowed to keep your legs lifted and pointing to the ceiling, etc. but I don't see why it should be too bad for short periods of time.

Oh, I just saw your last update about it not being broken so forget the suggestion about running it by the doc. I hope your ankle will get better soon!
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote