Old 03-02-2010, 04:30 AM   #1  
Janus

Height: 5 ft 8 " - 17 stone

Default Mushrooms

I Have been eating both portabello & normal white button mushrooms of which the packaging says 100g = 0.4 net carbs my confusion is that in the uk i see the label as a good source because its usually accurate, my dilema is when i look at the usda or nutrinonal data or other they all state 100 g approx between 2.5 and 3 net - is it all these web sites are wrong or could the packaging be wrong - both items where purchased from different places.

many thanks to all
janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #2  
Results Are Typical

S/C/G: 232/217/180

Height: 5' 1.5"

Mushrooms fall in to the "salad" vegable catagory and are therefor limited by volume (1 cup per day) not carb count. I don't know what that converts to in metric. I don't really watch my salad vegables very closely though because, come on, its vegables.
honeybjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:26 AM   #3  
Janus

I Know its salad but the difference between counting it as 0.4 or 3.0 is the difference between induction and the first rung of owl - i want to know if im calculating it correctly

i tend to just stay at 20 carbs rather than stick with the 1 cup rule or should i stick to the permited levels atkins suggest
Old 03-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

I don't follow "Atkins", just sensible low-carb (ketosis levels, so around 25-30 g a day).

You see people state that mushrooms are known stallers for weight loss for some people, and I've found that my periods of plateau do overlap with periods of high mushroom consumption. I now generally limit mushrooms -- I haven't done a real test or challenge to see if it's the mushrooms that stalled me, but usually I choose something else - or eat fewer 'shrooms.
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:00 AM   #5  
Janus

because i have a bit of weight to lose i at the moment tend to count everything and stay as close to 20 net as possible - its just every time i have mushroom i dont know if to calc them as 0.4 p/100 g as the packaging suggest or 3.0 net as usda suggest. in the uk atkins book does not use cups it suggest - you can have either 9 oz Salad / day or 6 oz salad & 3 oz veg

i just find the packaging on certain items is completely different than usda or fit day even after deducting fibre - i am losing weight but half the time its prob the stress of the confusion
Old 03-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 264/264/199

Height: 5'10"

Mushrooms may cause stalls? May explain why I haven't lost anything in the last week and a half...pretty much since starting to eat mushrooms...
SaskNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:47 PM   #7  
cher37

Yep. Mushrooms are among some of the common culprits causing food intolerance. Try eliminating them for a bit. If there is a reduction in headaches, diarrhea & you have more energy - you may have a food intolerance to mushroms

NB. some others are onions, peppers, paprika, spices & artificial sweetners
Old 03-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 264/264/199

Height: 5'10"

May explain my headaches too then...
SaskNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote