Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Default PLEASE Run With A BUDDY!

Please be careful out there ladies.

A young girl in our area has probably been murdered....evidence found but no body as of tonight.

It hits close to home for me since it happened in our county and my son has ran and now coaches against her school.

All she was doing was something my daughter does most days...going our for a training run/jog in a populated area....without a running buddy....

PLEASE RUN WITH A BUDDY GALS

here is the story ~ http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...s-disappearan/
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #2  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

That's terrible Gary. I'll pray for her and her family.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #3  

Height: 5'11"

I'm not a dog person, but I always thought it would be nice to go running with a nice big dog like a German shephard. Maybe I could borrow my neighbor's boxer.....
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/120????

Height: 5'2"

That's awful. When I was younger I used to always run with my sister because my parents didn't feel comfortable with us going by ourselves. I'm glad that they did. I am so sorry for that girl, I can't imagine what her parents are going threw.
mrsmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 135/128/120

Height: 5'3"

My buddy is a big black German Shepherd/Great Dane mix who is VERY protective...I feel sorry for whoever decides to mess with us
CPTSayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

In an interview with the parents they said they always asked her to run with a buddy...being 17 I am sure she felt invincible....she was in a safe area! I have been there many times for 5K's myself and races my son was in.

Be careful ladies....
Old 03-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #7  
aka christina :)

S/C/G: 142/118/116

Height: 5'5

that's terrible! i always run by myself. looks like i'll be working out safely inside the gym until i can find a buddy ..
diornotwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #8  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

That is horrible and I do feel for the girl and her family.

At the same time there is only so much living in fear I will do. Last week not far from here a man was pulled from his car in broad daylight in the parking lot of a grocery store. There is only so much you can do to protect yourself short of becoming a hermit and never leaving home. (oh wait, last week someone also got assaulted in their home). I run 6-7 days a week and maybe 1-2 of those runs have a buddy. Statistically I am far likelier to die from the heart disease and diabetes that runs rampant in my gene pool by skipping those runs than I am to be attacked by a stranger. Live life.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

when I've run, I've run by myself and I think that is ok because really there is only so much you can do to protect yourself. When I've run at night, I've run with my husband behind me (I'd start a few minutes before him, he'd catch up and we'd continue running in the same general area).

Running with a buddy is great but it isn't always possible.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I usually, but not always have my dog with me. It is so shocking that we must be constantly aware that some pervert is out there seeking whom he can harm.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Yeah. I ended up giving up running because the only time I like, and the only time that works in the long 90-100 degree summer, is 5am. I did it for a long time because I really wanted to, but it's not safe. That makes me angry. I really love running before dawn.

It's not like I have any body to run with, no matter what time I went.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 03-02-2010 at 12:39 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #12  
Workin' It

I run at a local park that is almost 100% visible from the street and often has a police presence. Even then, I am super careful on the back side.

I signed up for a running group, but they always seem to go during my workday or on days I can't make it. I need to try harder to find a buddy.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #13  
No description available.

EZ, I know where you're coming from and I appreciate the concern. My heart is broken about Chelsea. She has so much in common with my DD#1, I've been crying for her and her family. I told my DD to be extra careful. I've been considering signing her up for self defense classes before she goes to college and this is the impetus I needed to make that happen.

One of the articles I read about Chelsea said she loved to run, cause that's when she could think. I know exactly how it feels. There is nothing better than putting on your shoes and hitting the trail, gorgeous weather, breathing, heart beating, moving.....it's a joy and a gift. I've often reminded myself that it is a privilege to run. But you know what? It is a right to run. Chelsea had the right to go running without being attacked by some $*(#*$)#)%#%&#*#*$&. He stole that right from her, and he (and others of his ilk) will NOT steal it from me. I'll take precautions, as I always do. I'll run with my cell, tell people where I'm going and when I'm coming back, and if the unthinkable happens, I'll do as much damage as I can possibly do.

But I will still run. And my next run will be for this girl.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

The body of Chelsea King has been found. Pray for her family.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #15  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Thank all of you from your input on the threads for this young girl.

What a great idea BABY CATCHER to run your next run for her....hugs...I thought of you because of our X-Country connection when I posted...I knew it would hit close to home for you too.

As ENNAY and others have mentioned...you can't "stop" because of these creeps...just do as BABY CATCHER and others have said take your precautions and be careful.