Old 03-01-2010, 08:11 AM   #1  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Default 40 Somethings March Week 1 chat!

Can you believe March is here! Let's make this a great month!

Had a decent weekend eating wise. Really hoped to see some sort of a drop today. I'll keep plugging away!

Off to school! Have a great day!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Good morning. Less than a month of winter left.

Mysteriously put on some weight yesterday--thought I was watching every calorie carefully. Could be a fluke, water retention or something, and I'll have a sudden mysterious drop in another day or two.

Exercised this morning on my rebounder with no ill effects. Pulled muscle is doing very well, so I may go back to my gym class Wednesday morning.

Happy March!
KittehMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Annie-good to hear from you and that Tootsie is home. I hope she has an uneventful recovery.

Marie-glad you are back to your elliptical but take it easy. Don't want to undo any of that expensive surgery. My friend comes back from maternity leave on April 12th. I'm counting the days.

My day didn't turn out quite a good as I had planned yesterday. I did get my taxes done which was a big accomplishment and I give myself a pat on the back for that. A friend from work called and invited me to go out last night and I thought that would be good for me so I went even though it included eating out (not food on my meal plan) and I did very little on my Wii Fit yesterday. I tried to log the calories for my meal last night. I'm over my 1600 goal.

I took Marie's advice for my March goal and did not set a number goal but a calorie goal. If I focus on the calories-the number should take care of itself. Here's to a new week and a new month.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Good morning All!!

I'm thinking about what I want to do in terms of a goal. I know I can't control the scale, but I also need to see progress there. So I have to figure out some happy medium.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Hello ladies! So glad springtime is almost here. My daffodils are just ready to burst open in the yard. Can't wait to see them bloom. Dropped Tootsie off for a dressing change this morning. Really looking forward to her getting back to her old self. She couldn't wait until I got my clothes on this morning and had an accident on the floor. I know she can't help it because of the medications and such. Just a little frustrating.

I was able to get in the 20 min. Power Mile this morning before my shower. Weighed in at work at 181.2 pounds. I'm always 1 or 2 pounds heavier on Mondays. Hoping to break into the 170's this week. Sure wish it would go faster, but I know slow and steady wins the race. I can tell my body is changing and it feels good.

KittehMomma-My weight goes up and down a few pounds weekly. I don't panic, I just know that it will eventually even out.

I hope everyone has a great Monday!
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #6  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Petra – it’s good to see you around again, and back to enjoying your Wii! I’m sorry things didn’t work out with your boyfriend… it sounds like you are better off moving on, though. LOL re: the Swedish fish! Great job getting the taxes done! Sorry that your day didn’t go completely as planned… But there is value in getting out with a friend, especially with all the work you’ve been doing and what you have been going through with your boyfriend. You’ll rebound, I’m sure.

Marie – I haven’t found a new doctor per se, but am confident that when I see the high risk group in early April that they can point me to (or will be themselves) the right people. I’ve written off my previous ob/gyn and am moving on. Enjoy your marinara sauce! And, enjoy your elliptical, but I’m with everyone else – don’t overdo it!

LambChop – I am so proud of you and all your training. Enjoy your accomplishment! I’m sure that this will be the first of many races for you… Best of luck; you know we’re rooting for you!!

PeanutsMom – my birthday is mid-April, too! Good job getting back on track and committing to progress. I know the scale can’t be controlled, but for me it’s the best measure of progress. So, I make scale goals, but I also treat myself gently.

KittehMomma – great job with all your counting… I’m glad you are so close to your first goal! Don’t worry about the fluctuations; your journey will be full of those! As long as the general trend is down, you’re doing okay.

SuzyMc – Wow, I think I know more about quilting now than I ever thought possible LOL!

AnnieDrews – sounds like you have a plan in place re: the smoking, so that’s good. It’s hard to change too many things at once, I think. Glad to hear that Tootsie is home and recovering… I’m so excited that your daffodils are getting ready! Usually, ours are too at this time of year. This year, though, we’ve still got more than a foot of snow on the ground… Great job exercising this morning! I’m going to get back to that today.

LoriAnn – I think you did the best you could. I’m with you: if I’m going to someone’s house for the weekend, I’m eating what they put in front of me, and just do the best I can, applying influence where I can. That’s what we tell our kids to do when they go over a friend’s house, right? Just eat what they give you and don’t complain. At least, that’s what I tell my kids.

OnMyWay – I’m sorry the scale hasn’t moved for you Is there anything you can do to shake things up?

Here, nothing exciting to report. March will be my month to get below 160 so I’m excited about that. Now I’m off to get exercising!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #7  
Losing it...again!

Height: 5' 5"

Happy March everyone! I'm not a big fan of the mud that March brings, but I sure will be happy to see the end of winter!

I stepped on the scales this morning to check my progress and after a week I have gone from 173 to 169! I know my weight loss will probably slow down now, but it sure was nice to see a 6 where the 7 used to be!

Petra ~ I spent the weekend working on tax stuff too. We have our own business, so the actual taxes will be done by the CPA, but I have everything just about ready to turn over to him.

PeanutsMom ~ I've been thinking about a goal for March too. At first I was going to set a 5 pound loss for a goal, but I like the suggestion for calorie counting or maybe just change an eating habit. I'll have to think on it...

Annie ~ Daffodils already??? We will be well into May before we see any blooms here. I'm glad that your little Tootsie is home...hopefully she will be doing much better very soon.
SuzyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 189/179/145

Height: 5'6"

Happy March! I have been watching your posts the last week or so and I love to see/read how supportive everyone is! Thought I would join in with the weekly chats as you are dealing with similar issues to become healthy. I have a goal this month to lose 5 pounds. I don't mind the scale getting stuck on a number as long as it does it go up---that is always frustrating. With spring around the corner, I will be able to get outside to work in the yard and that always helps with burning calories!
momforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #9  
Heidi

Welcome, MomForever!!

SuzyMc, I hear you about the mud... plus, they are forecasting flooding in our area due to all the snowmelt that will occur. Luckily I don't live near any of the big rivers! We do have a small creek at the very back of our property; that will be fun to watch, to see how big it gets, compared to the dribble that it normally is.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #10  

I just wanted to note a couple of things I have been thinking about.

First, I wonder why it has taken me so long to realize that I really need to exercise. People used to not have to exercise. I believe our modern, sedentary lifestyle contributes to overweight and bad health. I've known that in my heart all along. I have always told myself I am too busy to exercise. If I just lost weight that I would feel better. I can honestly say I am not happy about having to exercise right now, but I know it is making me feel better....physically and mentally. I hope I do not lose that feeling. I want to be healthy and strong, as well as lose this extra poundage I am carrying around.

Secondly, I realized last night that I am going to have to give up my beloved Slim Fast bars. If I am being honest, they are nothing more than a glorified candy bar. I have vowed not to become a food snob during my journey, but really, they are not doing anything for me healthwise. They feed my sweet tooth and that is all. They are pretty dangerous for me to keep in the house, as I have been known to get up in the middle of the night and eat one with a can of caffeine free Diet Pepsi. They are 220 calories....that's actually more than a Hershey bar! I still have a box and a half and hope I can resist buying more when they are gone. The company is trying to help me without knowing it; they discontinued my favorite flavor. I complained to the company and found them on Amazon.com and ordered several boxes! I showed them! I know better than to eat these things. I tried losing weight with them in the past and they didn't work then. I don't know what part of my brain keeps wanting to eat them. I suppose I have brainwashed myself into thinking it it says "Slim Fast" on the wrapper, it has to be good!

So anyhoo.....just some thoughts put down on "paper".
Old 03-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #11  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Lori Ann, it sounds like you did the best you could in a bad environment. Sometimes at restaurants, peeling of breading or pizza cheese can help reduce the calories.

OMW, great to hear your weekend was on track. You’ll see that drop soon.

Kitteh, my weight goes up and down daily and as long as the up/down graph is in a downward direction overall, that is all that matters.

Petra, good luck on your calorie goal and going out was good for your mind. It doesn’t sound like you went over by much so don’t sweat it.

Annie, out older pups need that extra patience and Tootsie will be better every day. But I can empathize with the lack of fun cleaning accidents is.

Newleaf, I’m betting you’ll be in the 15X soon. You’re on track and the mindset is there.

Suzy, WTG on the 4 pound loss. That’s excellent. Congrats!

Mom4ever, congrats on your 10 pound loss. You’re doing great. Outside burns calories and it’s away from a kitchen. My hunting for food is so much less in the summer months.

Annie, how cool that you’ve “discovered” the real benefit to exercising – the feeling good mentally as well as physically. By chance, do your slim fast bars have good protein and fiber? Maybe they aren’t so evil if they have protein and fiber.

I admit I did overdo it yesterday. After my fun elliptical, I walked around the 1.5 mile block – up the big hill with DH and puppies. That was not smart. So I’m going to limit myself to just the reduced intensity elliptical for now. It was hard to not go out since it was 60 and sunny but I will resist for another 2-3 weeks. I’m trying to work the entire day but I’m getting sleepy so I doubt I will make it. I thought 3FC might wake me up but I’m ready for a doze.

Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #12  

No such luck, Marie. The Slim Fast bars I have been eating have 2 gram of fiber and 8 grams of protein (and 5 grams of fat). I don't know if that's worth the calories or not. I've known all along they aren't that healthy. Just trying to talk myself through stopping them all together.

Last edited by AnnieDrews; 03-01-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #13  
Heidi

AnnieDrews, there's nothing snobby about realizing that a type of food just isn't doing you justice... And hey, what's wrong with food snobs anyway just kidding... I am glad you are finding your way. I agree, our modernized lifestyle just isn't what is best for our bodies. I am so very sedentary, which just isn't good.

Marie, take it easy... the nice weather will still be there, even more so, in 2 - 3 weeks! Easier said than done, I know.

Well, my "news" has been upsetting for the last couple of weeks and has kept me feeling somewhat tearful even though most times I feel over it. But anyway, when my eyes felt really wet and brimming today, I figured it was just a bad day, no biggie. Well, I finally looked in the mirror and they were oozing out goo, and had goo all on the inside of the lower lid -- ICK! Fast forward a couple of hours, and now I'm on antibiotic drops for conjunctivitis in both eyes. Once I saw all the goo I actually LOL'd that I could have actually rationalized the feeling away...
Old 03-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #14  

Heidi-I'm so sorry you have "pink eye"!! I know that you know to wash your hands well, etc. so your kids won't get it, too. But don't be surprised if they do. Hope your eyeballs feel better soon.

Well, the vet called. He got the lab report back on Tootsie's tumors. Some were benign, but some were positive for cancer. He had told me that from her chest x-ray and her bloodwork that it looked like there was no spread, at least to those parts. I'm glad she was able to have the surgery and hope we have her with us for a long, long time.

My lesson learned....always get a dog spayed before age 3. We had considered breeding (but didn't, she's never been pregnant) her so we never got her spayed.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #15  
Natalie

S/C/G: 170/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone! Glad to be back here after what seemed like an eternity. I worked out today for the first time in almost 10 days and it felt great ! I think I am moving out of this yucky slump finally. Last week, my DH was sick and he can be more of a baby when he is sick than my children are and DD was a little under the weather too. But we all are healthy again now so, I want to go back and catch up from last week so I am up to speed. For now I want to say hi , I am here, my weight is the same despite my lack of tracking calories and working out, but I know that it is sheer dumb luck. I will do personals after I catch up. Happy March!
AZ Manatee is offline   Reply With Quote