Old 02-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #1  
diamondgeog

Default Shingles that aren't painful?

I am 44, late last week I noticed a rash for lack of a better word on one side of my torso. Like nothing I had before but not really that painful.

Well it didn't go away and even got bigger. On Monday I went to a nurse and said it was classic shingles. One side of the torso in a radial pattern. Also I had been sick the week before and other shingles signs.

I started on anti-virus that Monday, probably a little outside of the recommended 72 hours to start but I figured it was worth it if it could have some positive benefit.

Here is the thing. I am extremely grateful that it hasn't been that painful. I can't sleep on that side and if I 'mess' with it at all it is painful. But I don't have a fraction of the pain I have heard about shingles from friends and on the internet.

So I keep wondering if it actually IS shingles. I have found some stuff on the internet from people saying they had non-painful shingles but no medical site seems to say that. Anyone with any info that you can have shingles (as oppossed to something else causing shingle-like symptoms) that are not really all that painful?

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I had shingles on my face and in my eye. It was uncomfortable but not excruciatingly painful. I never even took any time off of work, and if I can't take a shower, I wouldn't go into work. So it wouldn't have been so bad that I couldn't handle taking a shower and washing my hair.

So I'd say that it is shingles - also, I think the anti-virals make a big difference. I started on them right away, and it seems like at least some of the people who have had a lot more pain than I did were not given them.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #3  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

I've had shingles twice...on the back of my head the first time, and on the back of the leg the second - both felt different

The one on the back of my head - the pain was excruciating, like electricity that didn't stop zapping...incredibly, difficult experience to get through -after it initially healed - I still had phantom zapping for months after

the one on the back of my leg was more like annoying, hurt a little, more poison ivy-ish discomfort...could NOT believe it was the same thing...in fact, when the doctor told me i had shingles for the 2nd time, i cried because i was so afraid of the pain i might feel (since i only had the other experience to go by) but it never got that bad -also never had phantom pain or any other pain associated with it after like my head

hope this info helps
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:53 PM   #4  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I had a small case on my back/torso left side. It wasn't painful at all.
The reason I went to the doctor was because a lymph node in my left groin was swollen. He was feeling that and I said "oh, and I have this rash" and showed him my side. He said "oh, that looks like shingles." I didn't take antivirals. This was about 15 yrs ago (when I was around 30).

I have heard of shingles being really painful. Mostly in older (elderly) people.
Consider yourself lucky. This time.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I remember studying shingles in graduate and undergraduate biology and anatomy classes, and I remember that we learned that shingles are often not painful, especially if they're not in a location that is likely to be rubbed by movement or clothing (essentially how likely the spot is to be "messed with," which sounds consistent with your experience).

For example shingles at the waist tends to be very painful, because of waistband rub.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:17 AM   #6  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

no rubbing of clothing on the head...for me, shingles on the head was worse than childbirth or gallbladder pain...worst thing i have ever felt in my life..

shingles on leg...annoying...honestly, two different experiences for me
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #7  
Losing it...again!

Height: 5' 5"

From what I have always heard the pain factor depends on if the breakout involves a nerve or not. I don't know if it's true...just what I have always heard. I had shingles on my face once and it was annoying and uncomfortable, but I certainly didn't have the horrible pain that a lot of people talk about.
SuzyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #8  
diamondgeog

Thanks for relating all of the experiences. I found it very helpful.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Shingles always involves a nerve by definition. The virus lies dormant in the nervous system and then comes out again, usually during a period of stress. It always comes out in the pattern of a particular nerve root which is why it such a recognizable rash. I think the reason it is more painful in particular locations is because we just naturally have more nerve endings in particular locations-kind of like why a papercut hurts so much. You have a lot of nerve endings in your finger tips, not so many on your torso. You happen to have gotten it in a location that just tends to not be as painful as getting it on your face or in your eye. Even so, most people find shingles to be at least a very uncomfortable experience and it sounds like you have been very fortunate. I've not had it thank goodness. I'm sure I will one of these days because I had chicken pox when I was a little girl (it's the same virus)

I'm a doctor in case you were wondering.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #10  
Losing it...again!

Height: 5' 5"

I guess I wasn't too far off the mark...thanks for clearing that up, Petra!
SuzyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #11  

Default Post Shingles Phantom Pain

I have had Shingles and now am suffering from Post Shingles Phantom Pain. There seems to be little that takes care of it. I have the additional problems that I have Lyme Disease and can only get relief from aspirin-based medications. It has been my experience that no doctor will perscribe the medication I need.

I use Goody's Extra Strength powers, and they are extremely helpful. However, some of this pain simply does not respond to anything. I have years of experience dealing with LD pain and have developed methods to managing it, but this pain will not be managed. The actual Singles problem was not pleasant, chills/fever/pain, but only lasted a couple of weeks. I had no idea what it was. I have no insurance so I don't go to doctors, but the last 30 years of dealing with doctors and the ensuing probloems has taught me that it is wasted money.

Then the Phantom Pain hit and my research shows me that this shows up in many people. I have a cousin who says she has been dealing with it for 5 months. A church member has been dealing with it for 3 years!!! Mine has only lasted for a month, but has totally disrupted my life. I can find no comfortable position. The pain goes around my left side from the middle of my chest to the spine. The pain is sometimes like a red hot poker pushed through either back to front or vice-versa. Sometimes it is like a hatchet buried in my back at the left shoulder blade. My left rib just below the breast feels like someone hit it with a metal bar. (fell against one on one occasion, so I know how it feels). Other pains are just as bad. I am not able to sleep at night. The clothes rubbing against my body is horrible and I cannot wear a bra because the band goes directly across the affected ares. I have discovered, for those who need the information (and hoping it works for you as well) is that a hot bath literally stops the pain while in the bath!!! (a small relief) An old Chinese method - gently tapping the area with a (for me) wooden paddle, "distracts the nerves". Sometimes a heating pad works, sometimes an ice pack.

My problem with this is that no one ever told me this existed, yet when I speak to people they seem to know. And a person with shingles in it's contagious stage will give a person chickenpox if they have never had it, thereby leaving them open for Shingles!!! My wonderment is if the chickenpox vaccine, by virtue of being a vaccine (therefore live virus) will also put one in danger of Shingles???? I know this is too long, but no one ever spoke to me and I feel honor bound to speak to others.

Last edited by jglass; 10-23-2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: to make changes
jglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:12 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 248?/173/130

Height: 5'8"

Shingles is like childbirth - most people have pain, but a lucky few don't have much at all.

You will also find that many people self-diagnose shingles and say that it didn't hurt a bit - not all of them actually have/had it.

If you don't have pain, just enjoy the lack of pain. I understand your concern. It's natural to wonder Why, if everyone else is having pain, you don't...and what that means...Why are you different and what will happen next because of that?

Relax. Consider yourself lucky. Don't worry. Be happy.
Stripes 237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #13  

After being in agonizing pain since the middle of September, I finally have some days without pain, but now have to overcome the fear of the pain returning - as it has several times. The fear is not one I welcome, nor one I can control. It comes in shaking, sweating, and uncontrollable tension that makes everything worse. Before and even after, I know that it is stupid, but when it hits, I cannot do anything except live through it. Even that is getting better the more I am without pain.

Shingles made me very ill and very uncomfortable, but the aftermath was so much worse and literally did not allow me a life. If I had been working, I would have had to either get a leave of absence or quit. I could not have functioned in a job.

Another blessing now is that I can once again hear properly and my eyesight has settled down. My attention span is back so that I can read again. The pain just stopped everything.

And, if you do not have pain, please thank the Lord, because you do not want this pain. I thank God every day that I do not have pain.
jglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:25 AM   #14  

Default Non-pain with shingles

In my late 50s, a rash appeared on my lower left leg -- only. Long story short: A dermatologist diagnosed it as shingles. It did look EXACTLY like shingles -- blistery and in the exact pattern that you see of diagrams of what shingles look like in various parts of the body.

BUT, there was almost no pain. The only significant pain I experienced was when I had my leg lowered and the pressure / swelling was quite painful. But as long as I kept my leg elevated, the pain was almost nothing.

I mentioned my skepticism to the doctor that it was shingles due to the lack of significant pain. I also asked for it to be biopsied. She insisted that it was shingles, saying that not all patients have bad pain and said I didn't need a biopsy.

The doctor put me on an anti-viral and it cleared up in less than a week with no lasting problems whatsoever.

I'm still not convinced it was shingles, in spite of it looking exactly like shingles.

Since then, I've also had the shingles vaccine. So, in the end, I'll be happy if I never have to experience the BAD pain of shingles.
kayemmdee is offline   Reply With Quote