Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-25-2010, 06:57 AM   #1  
Loving Life!

S/C/G: 230/220/120

Height: 5'0"

Default Buying a smaller size... would you?

Would you ever buy a smaller size before you actually reach that size?

I've been wearing the same two pairs of size 18 jeans from Old Navy for what seems like forever. I'm to the point now where the once too-tight pair fit me perfectly, and the other pair require a belt to stop them falling down all the time.

So I'm not quite ready for size 16's yet. I don't currently own any pants smaller than the 18's I'm wearing now. Old Navy has a sale starting today where they're matching the US sale price on jeans, so they're only $19 a pair.

Would you go ahead and buy a pair in the next size down? My husband said I should go ahead and buy a pair of 16's and a pair of 14's I love that he has so much confidence in me... and I'm determined to keep losing... but there's a part of me (the frugal part? the insecure part? the low self-confidence part? I don't know) that's balking at spending money on clothes that don't fit. Then again, that frugal part of me is screaming "take advantage of the good deal while you can! Next month you might need those 16's and have to pay $40 for them!"

What would you do?!
MakingSkinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:10 AM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Oh, definitely! I like to go to the thrift store and buy a smaller size. I bought jeans in 16, 14, 12, and 10. AND on my monthly anniversaries, I take pictures of me wearing a bathing suit (for modesty) while trying on the size 10's! So much fun! I do that so my brain can't trick me into thinking it's not a HUGE accomplishment when I finally get in them. And it's interesting to watch them go higher over my thighs each month.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:21 AM   #3  

Height: 5'5.5"

YES! Having spent money on smaller sizes will motivate you. Plus you will be able to try them on and see how close you are to the next size down whenever you want.

Your dh is right. Go for the size 16 and 14.
LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:21 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

It's something I did regularly actually. I loved shrinking into my clothes. I loved keeping the clothes hanging in my living room as I worked out. I'd look at them as I pushed through the pain. LOL!

When I bought my final pair of inspiration pants (size 10 Express jeans), I couldn't even pull them over my hips. They fit now, baby! ;-)

Buy the jeans!

I wouldn't hesitate to buy 2 pairs of jeans if they are really discounted.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:24 AM   #5  
Wandervogel

S/C/G: 241/214.5/150

Height: 5'4

Definitely! Go for it! I just bought my "goal" jacket - ridiculously expensive, and it's all the more reason to get into it! Yes, you can do it!!
Raichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

My concern about buying stuff is not so much that it doesn't fit right now, but that it won't fit for very long! I did buy one new pair of jeans at Costco because they were $16 so I figured if I don't wear them very long, I won't be too bummed out. (I'm also thinking they at some point, they might serve as an inspiration size for my mom, that would be about the size she might get down to and stay at).

But mostly I plan to buy thrift shop stuff on the way down, so I won't care all that much if I only wear for a short time before it gets too big. For now, I'm still "shopping" in my closet because I have at least 30 more pounds lost worth of clothing that I'll be able to wear as I lose.

So I guess I'm saying sure, go ahead and buy a couple of pairs of jeans, but don't go too crazy buying stuff in a sizes that you may not be at yet, but don't plan to stay at for all that long once you get there!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #7  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

I've bought smaller but only if it's a GREAT deal. I have had things not fit for long or not fit the way I thought they would (and not look as good) when I was able to shrink into them.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 205/205/145

Height: 5'6"

Yes!!!! Buy smaller!I have done this all along- for me only one item at a time though. My next goal is to fit into a shirt properly that I bought on sale a couple of months ago. When I brought it home the buttons wouldn't even do up! I get the buttons up now but it's still too snug- I can't wait to be able to wear it because it's so pretty! I don't buy much, because I don't like having a huge option of big clothes to fit into lol- keeps me motivated to lose weight and look forward to a new wardrobe
Crystalx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:20 AM   #9  
Loving Life!

Thanks everyone, I think I just might go ahead and buy at least a size 16. I'll see if I impulse-buy the 14's while I'm there LOL

I have a ton of size L shirts in the closet (currently in an XL, but they're starting to be too big, too). Since I gain weight around my tummy most, I was able to wear the L shirts even after outgrowing smaller pants. I got rid of all my smaller pants years ago in a fit of depression over being fat *sigh* Never again!
Old 02-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

I just bought a new XS shirt. I'm currently wearing a medium right now. I fell in love with the shirt and wanted to be able to wear if for a while so I bought it in my goal size. I love seeing it hang in my closet.

So I totally agree that you should buy the 16s and the 14s!
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #11  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I have $.2 to add to my previous $.2.

I bought some XL shirts at about 20 lbs lost that fit me nicely. They looked good on me, made me feel thinner and I felt like I could really see the difference. Now at 37 lbs lost, those shirts are actually a bit big and they look sloppy. I no longer look thin in them, I look fat.

So I think a few items of clothing that fit properly may not be such a bad idea.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #12  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

The smallest pants I had ever bought were 8's. I was terrified to try them on at the store because I didn't want to be disappointed if they didn't fit. When they slid up and buttoned comfortably, I was so overjoyed that I bought two pairs. After wearing each pair about twice, washing and drying them, I realized that they were actually too big! So, I went back to the same store (American Eagle), they were having a sale on jeans. I bought the same pairs in 6's, a number that I NEVER thought I'd see. I've been wearing them for the last few weeks, and one of those pairs is actually a bit too baggy to be flattering. The other is a slimmer cut, so it still works.

I went shopping with a friend yesterday, American Eagle had my same pairs of jeans on clearance. I bought one of the same pairs and another in a different cut of size 4's!!! Now these, I can fit in them, and button them up without a lot of trouble, but I don't know if I'd wear them in public yet. But I do think that by goal, I'll fit in them comfortably. I'll be able to use them as a benchmark.

So my new goal almost isn't so weight related, it's fitting perfectly into those size 4's

Last edited by mkendrick; 02-25-2010 at 12:25 PM.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #13  

While I would never buy FAR down from my size, the size I'm almost in and the size below it have been up for grabs this whole time. I'm a cheapskate for clothes so even though I hate to spend the extra 20 bucks now, really, 20 bucks for jeans is a stellar deal. If you can get them on, even if you can't button them without a killer muffin top, that's the right pair to buy.

I have done it mostly with old navy. My body shape has stayed the same throughout my weight loss (I went from a humongous apple to a medium apple) and I always buy the same fit, and it's worked so far.

ATM I've been moving laterally through size 8 of different brands, lol. I was an 8 at the gap (same manufacturer as Old Navy) and am now wearing the size 8 I got from old navy that was too tight when I bought the jeans from the gap. My "goal" (well, one of them) is the size 8 express jeans I NEEDED when I tried them on, and they fit everywhere but my stomach.
Tarisaande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #14  
Loving Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarisaande View Post
I have done it mostly with old navy. My body shape has stayed the same throughout my weight loss (I went from a humongous apple to a medium apple) and I always buy the same fit, and it's worked so far.
Hahaha! That bolded bit made me really laugh! I'm the same way, except I'm a definite hourglass shape. No matter how skinny I get, I'll always be curvy!
Old 02-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #15  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

Yeah it's not biggy to buy a size down. But like someone else said, don't go too far down.

I bought size 12's when I was WEARING 14's but I was more like a 16 squeezing myself into 14's and wearing a sweater to cover up my muffin top. They're really cute American Eagle jeans and I want to wear them already!!!
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote