Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/170/125

Height: 5'2"

Default What are your top tip?

So...I'm new here...

I'm just wondering...what are your top tips for starting this journey to change my over eating for good?

I'm so tired of failing and bindging...!

What has helped you start, and stay, with a life style change in eating?

Thanks!

Laura
Danedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Buy a kitchen scale.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #3  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

And after you get that kitchen scale, get rid of all the crap in your fridge and cupboards and restock it with good stuff...(that you can weigh on your new kitchen scale).

Last edited by Lori Bell; 02-23-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

Come up with a plan!! That way, you know what you're weighing with that kitchen scale

It helps to have a specific limit or range with whatever it is your plan is. Mine is calorie counting and I couldn't have done it without a clear can and can't do list, as well as a limit.
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Come to 3FC! Figure out what plan appeals to you and go to it. Seek your support HERE. Don't wait for motivation to eat right or exercise. It isn't coming. YOU have to go to IT!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #6  

Height: 5'5.5"

Find lots of vegetables you love to eat. Check out the Veggie Challenged forum if you don't already love vegetables.

Good luck. You can do it.
LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #7  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

1) forgive yourself QUICKLY if you make a mistake; then just pick right up on the next snack, meal, and day.

2) tracking or journalling what I eat each day really helps me keep to my plan better; once you try it, you will realize how much it helps.

3) budget in some 'fun' snacks once a week or month ie popcorn; this really helped me a lot with the binging thing. You can even have a fiber bar daily if you budget it in.

4) find lots of healthy low-cal snack alternatives, then you won't feel deprived. There are lots of lists on this site; do a search.

5) don't starve yourself; if you are hungry -- eat ... but eat something healthy! Increasing your veggies, salads, and soups can really help fill you up at lunch and dinner. I adore lots of low-cal roasted veggies now.

6) I love to have chunky homemade soup for lunch and/or dinner; sometimes for a snack too. It is sooo filling and healthy. That with a few whole grain crackers or a slice of whole grain bread is a meal in itself.

7) I like to have tea in the afternoon and every evening; soothing and filling. Sometimes, I have a low-cal hot chocolate or mocha coffee for the same reason.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/150

Height: 5'11"

Keep track of what you eat! Even if you don't count calories, just journaling can make such a big difference!!

Good luck. Don't give up and you'll get there!!
cherbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I had to come back to tell you one more thing. The is the most important as far as I am concerned.

Let noONE and NOTHING come before your sleep, exercise or nutrition. For the time being you must put it at the VERY TOP of your list. You will deal with everything else and everyone else only AFTER you deal with yourself.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

• Make your home a safe haven - get rid of the junk - you can't eat it if it's not there. Stock your home with healthy, low calorie foods. You MUST have the right foods on hand.
  • PLAN, plan and then plan some more. Eating healthy won't happen on it's own. It requires your time, your thought and PRE-planning. Know where every meal and snack is coming from - always.
  • Be brutally honest. Accept no excuses.
  • Stick to your convictions. Remember what it is you want the very MOST. Just because you want something doesn't mean you HAVE to have it. It's okay to tell yourself no. You don't have to give into a craving. You must start making reasonable, mature decisions.
  • Get excited about these changes - don't dread them. Find the joy in this.
  • COMMIT to doing this - no matter what.
  • Work past the initial discomfort of changing ones habits. Push past it. Get through it any which way that you can - because you CAN and you should.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:07 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

If you are going to indulge yourself, plan it well in advance--like weeks or months. That way, the indulgence is not a reward for letting your emotions get the better of you, and it's not a signal of failure.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:07 PM   #12  

Height: 5'9

Don't beat yourself up over making a mistake or having a slip up. Everyone does it, and your next bite is always a chance to start anew
OneStepAtATime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/195/148

Height: 5'5

Don't give up! Some days you will feel horrible and just go all out and binge, and feel bad but just remember to start again the next day and don't give up on yourself!
cheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:33 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Cheerios... I love your quote. I LOVE Anne LaMott!!!!

Eat on a schedule, at planned meal or snack times. If possible, sit at the table, not a sofa, your couch, or at your desk.

If you feel the urge to eat at another time, because you are bored, irritable, lonely, or just looking for a little treat, try to teach yourself to ride it out, rather than reaching for a lo-cal substitute. Over time, you can retrain yourself not to always think first about food in those situations.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:21 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

Be patient...the weight may not always come off at the speed you want but it WILL come off.
And have faith in your body. Sometimes your weight might do wierd things during your TOM or a plateau etc. Just remember: If you are eating on plan and exercising there is NO WAY you will not eventually start losing again.
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote