Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-20-2010, 12:43 AM   #1  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy Why? :'(

I'm ending day 2 of an ongoing binge. Well, really its about day 8, but I had one completely on plan day 2 days ago... I know this is going to sound whiny, but why?!?! I don't understand why my body and brain are doing this. Why, even tho I consciously know what I'm doing, do I continue to do it? Why does my stomach tell me I'm full but at the same time send the signal to "feed me more!" to my brain? Why does my brain think "Wow, you need to stop this now!" and then two seconds later think "I HAVE to have a burger right now!"????? I hate having binge eating disorder, I've been binging on at least 6,000 calories a day... Probably more since I have the tendency to forget the little nibbles and bites. It's so depressing that I just want to eat more. This vicious cycle is never ending and it's starting to get to me, I'm starting to feel like I'll never beat it and be able to have a healthy relationship with food.

I guess this was just a vent/rant/whine post. No real point, sorry.
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Latchkey--I don't have the answers to your questions; I have asked myself many of the same questions. I am convinced that a big part of weight loss is figuring out these very questions.

I read a helpful tip on this site about how to get back on the right path and am employing it myself. Promise yourself that you will stay on program 3 days and then do it--stay on program 100%. When the 3 days are over, you have built a bit of momentum and keep building on it. I just tried this to help pull myself out of a slump and it has helped get me moving in the right direction again.

You can beat this. Keep on keeping on and get back on track immediately.

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 320/185/165-170

Height: 5'5"

i am so sorry you are going through this right now... sometimes that kickstart is so hard to find. i was in a similar situation at christmas, day after day after day.

something that worked for me was Kudos - set up a little something (non-food obviously) that you really want - to go see a movie, or buy a new piece of clothes, or a book or or or...and set a # of days without binge. So, say you wanted to see a movie. Say to yourself - When I am 3 days binge free, I will go to the movie. If i dont make it to day 3, i am not going!

Earn your kudos and you'll be surprised how quickly you want to earn the next one!

i am sending your strength-fairies.... you can do this!!!!!
happytobeamomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #4  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

I realised me tummy never says 'feed me'. I rarely would get hungry, I'd just eat eat eat. It was my tastebuds, it was my emotions telling me happy=food. I just had to stop myself.

This has meant, at times, absolutely throwing out all the bread and junk in my home, actually dousing it with water to spoil it.

I also NEVER restrict myself. I fit sweets and cheeses into my diet so I rarely have a crazy day that's overboard.

I've also found other ways of controlling my emotions and my anxiety, which made want to eat eat eat in the first place

*BIG HUG*
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 282/282/145

Height: 5' 5''

Latchkey --I have an idea. I'm struggling with the same thing. I keep calling each day a new start, then I eat. So, why don't you and I commit to one another that we'll stay binge-free for 3 days starting Sunday 2/21 and see if we both can make it through. If we don't, we don't, but it's worth a try! Then, maybe we'll have the momentum we need to continue.
ThinkinThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/152/120

Height: 5'6"

Latchkey, I've been there!!!! It's a process, and that first day is hard, but you've just gotta tell yourself that you're worth more than this... That this will be hard but it's worth it... And any other encouraging, positive thing you can do. You can do it, there's no better time than now to break the cycle.
Lizzie2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:31 AM   #7  
Spartan Kitty

Thank you so much ladies, for listening, for the kindness and words of encouragement and the ideas. I think this binge cycle is nearing the end, my depression and despair are starting to dissipate and I'm not craving food quite as much as I was yesterday. Now the trick is going to be seeing the next binge cycle coming and stopping it before I get out of control like I've been for the last week or so.

ThinkinThin~ Okay, let's do it! Three days, binge free, 100% on plan... I'm hoping I can do it.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #8  

Latchey- Sounds good. We can do this! Sun, Mon and Tues. Shouldn't be too bad. By Wed we'll feel so much more in control. And hopefully be de-toxed from any junk we've eaten so we'll just have the emotional side to deal with at that point. Good luck! Woo hoo!
Old 02-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

This link about understanding how your brain works during binges has helped me. I think totally cutting out what the author calls "hyperpalatable food" is really the answer. And after awhile you don't crave them anymore and your body normalizes.

I don't deny myself eating, but I do deny myself eating these foods which spark cravings and that horrible spiraling descent into binging and depression.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 274 / 216 / 150

Height: 5'6"

Sorry you're struggling with this so badly. It sounds really like food is an emotional blanket, perhaps? I know it's really hard to stop you're in the middle of a binge, but instead of fighting with yourself on not eating more food have you questioned why you need that comfort right now? Best of luck on your challenge!
Smiller264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:21 PM   #11  
Maintainer since 8/15/09

S/C/G: 173/118.6/110-115lbs.

Height: 5'3

I know what you mean by your mind is signaling you to have more, but your already full. I always binge after lunch, I am full from eating, but I still get the craving for more. Then I end up stuffing myself until it hurts. I did it yesterday again, but not as bad as usual. Still got nausea, heartburn, bloated, tierd, pain in my stomach and for some reason i get night sweats every time I binge. Does anyone else get night sweats??? Then of course you can't sleep because your sweating like a pig and you have heartburn all night. Today I still feel the same way except for the sweating. I have had no appetite and just feel like crap. I don't even want to see any food right now. Not even my normal healthy food I eat everyday. Why can't I learn my lesson?? I feel like this every time and I still do it!! Count me in for trying to be binge free for 3 days. It wouldn't hurt to try!
fruitlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #12  

CJZee- Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check it out.

Smiller264 - I think you have a good idea. I am trying to stop mid-binge and analyze what's really going on so maybe I can search for what I really need.

fruitlady- Hooray! Join us! I'm not through day 1 yet and I'm dying over here. It's not easy, but we can do it.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:54 AM   #13  

fruitlady - yes, when i binge i get the night sweats too... like my body is trying to get rid of the food/calories any way it can... really really affects me! plus the heartburn and all the other symptoms you listed....

good news though - that all goes away really quickly when you don't binge...

i cannot wait to hear that you ladies made it through you challenge!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #14  
Spartan Kitty

Well, I didn't binge yesterday. I did overeat a bit, but nowhere near the disaster it could have/would have been. I think I went about 400 calories over my daily limit. So does that count as a binge free day?
Old 02-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #15  

too me there is a HUGE difference between a binge and over calories!!!

Were you out of control in those 400 'extra' calories? did you feel guilty afterwards? were there any negative emotions around those calories?

I had dessert on Friday and felt fantastic and went about 200 cal over... no guilt, no mindless eating, as a matter of fact, i felt empowered that i could enjoy dessert with my friends and NOT have a problem with it!!!

way to go!!!!