Old 02-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #1  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

Default OT: Eyebrow threading

Any of you do this? How do you think it compares to waxing?

I need my eyebrows done desperately and saw a place at the mall that does it. I've seen it before but guess it's starting to gain more popularity.

The only thing about the place at the mall is that it's like a kiosk, so people can walk by and see them doing it, or stand around and watch. That's a lil creepy.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

I only get my eyebrows threaded. But I go to "Little India" where the East Indian ladies do it for $5. I don't even have to tell them what I want (nor do they really speak much english anyway! LOL).

They just tell me "sit", "hold it" (meaning hold my skin to stretch it), "leave it" and "thank you goodbye".

In and out in a few minutes and only for $5! and my eyebrows look beautiful and I get lots of compliments!

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #3  
eratosthanes

S/C/G: 297/273/170

Height: 5'5"

There is actually a thread in the PCOS forum discussing this, lol. I think it sounds wonderful, but there is nowhere in my rinky-dink town to get it done, so I am going to invest in something called a Sticky stick. Supposedly it works on the same principle, but you pay $17 for something that will do it for six+ months.
eratosthanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/154("Normal" BMI)

Height: 5'6"

I've never personally had it done, but my friend did it at the mall one day. IMO, it's the same as tweezing...the way they move the thread through your brow...it's just taking the hair between the the 2 sides of the thread and pulling it out...the thread is wrapped around fingers on each hand and they move it back & forth...grabbing the hair as they move along & it pulls it out...

it's definitely faster than tweezing, but seems the same
KDM322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:22 PM   #5  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

It is the same as tweezing, but it doesn't hurt as much as waxing because they're pulling the hair out "along the grain," as you will.

I'd recommend it
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/148.5/145

Height: 5'6''

How to video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F37Sl1c7BA0

i've tried it myself..i think it'll take a bit of practice but works and doesn't hurt as much as tweezing.

Last edited by angelanicole23; 02-19-2010 at 10:50 PM.
angelanicole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:15 PM   #7  
Not so starving student

S/C/G: 152.3/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Lol, I'm totally one of the creepers who watches it being done to people at the mall! I usually just tweeze my eyebrows, though. Never had waxing or anything done. I know people who like it, though.
rosekeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:46 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 274/250/145

It's AWESOME! I think it hurts way more than waxing, but my eyebrows have never looked better.
casey87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirgirlhotel View Post
I only get my eyebrows threaded. But I go to "Little India" where the East Indian ladies do it for $5. I don't even have to tell them what I want (nor do they really speak much english anyway! LOL).

They just tell me "sit", "hold it" (meaning hold my skin to stretch it), "leave it" and "thank you goodbye".

In and out in a few minutes and only for $5! and my eyebrows look beautiful and I get lots of compliments!

~CGH~
Lfmao - this is too funny I have to say....
by the way I thought you were from Louisville I am in dire need of shaping my eyebrows, but I don't think that anyone here in this village does that....
Banshee032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 258/229.2/160

I wax. I've considered threading; I've heard it can make much cleaner, prettier silhouettes. But, I've also heard it is a lot more unsanitary than waxing because of the lack of regulation and personal habits of the "threaders" (holding the string in their mouth, etc).
AmandaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #11  
Working it out!

S/C/G: 219/ticker/135

Height: 5'4'

I used to wax and then they'd tweeze the excess...NEVER AGAIN!

Once you go threading, you definitely don't go back.

You really should only get threading if you have thick hair, people w/ thin hair should probably stick to tweezing.

They make beautiful eyebrows that truly frame your face something that always just looks a bit off with waxing. I definitely can always tell a person that gets waxed vs. threading.

To me, threading doesn't hurt at all but then again I get mine done in NYC so it's a bit different when you have a thousand of great venues to choose from. Anyway, I highly recommend it!
Krizstyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 156/119/115

Height: 5'2"

In my own personal experience, threading hurt much worse than waxing and I never felt like my brows were are neat and clean afterwards. So, I am a rare one that went back to waxing. I just like the way they look and feel afterwards...and much less pain! IMO...
dilynnlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #13  
Samantha417

I'd love to know if it hurts less than waxing or tweezing. Every time I get my eyebrows waxed, I scream and I'm just the great entertainment for the day in the hair salon. I'm such a wimp when it comes to pain!

The people at the kiosk keep getting me to do it though when I'm at the mall. It gets annoying, and I don't want to be watched in the middle of the mall. Plus my eyebrows aren't THAT bad, they're blonde!!
Old 08-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #14  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

Well, I have never been bothered about my eyebrows which, although they are quite bushy, are very fair so you can hardly see them anyway.

But I got mine waxed a few years ago before a holiday, and I had them threaded a few weeks ago for my wedding.

They both hurt like f***, but then I was going from full-thickness brows both times. I have been told that it hurts less on subsequent occasions, so I might try it again in a couple of weeks - the price was very reasonable - it was one of those in the mall too.
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:54 PM   #15  
Ready for a change!

S/C/G: S/C/G: 277/277/150

Height: 5'8"

Threading does not hurt more than waxing. I understand people have different pain thresholds but still people come on lol! It will hurt your first time but you get used to it and its waaay cheaper (here in BC I get them done for $3.50) and they can shape your eyebrows much better with threading! I've been getting them threaded for over 9 years now. I've tried both and definitely love love love threading!
love114 is offline   Reply With Quote