Old 02-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #1  

Default Gym Advice...

Ok. So I had a membership at Gold's Gym when I moved back to Texas....bought it in June, and canceled in December--because I NEVER used it! Not once. I really don't have any excuse about not going other than having to work from 6:30am-7pm M-F, and I waited tables 1-2 days a weekend on top of that.

But now that I only wait tables/bartend, I have more time to go. It's just, I lack the motivation to go. ANYWAY, I just got a new roommate a few weeks ago, and she has a membership to Gold's. Maybe I'd have more of an interest in going since she goes too?

So, that being said, my apartment has an on-site gym. Treadmills, weights, cycles, etc...so I can use that, PLUS I can do my 30 Day Shred again. So it'd save me money monthly. But now I'm looking for a tanning salon, just for about 2-3 months to get a little bit of a base tan. (Note one of my last posts about how I don't really do tanning beds...) So I'm looking for an inexpensive, no contract, tanning salon. The least expensive one I found was $19.95 monthly.

OK! Now my dilemma...lol Do I sign up at a tanning salon at $20 a month, or do I go back to Gold's? I got a thing in the mail for Gold's for 0 enrollment fees, $19 flat a month. And if I want to add tanning, it's an extra $10. Soooo....like, $30 a month for gym AND tanning. So do I do $20 for just tanning since I can use the gym at the apartments, or $30 for gym/tanning and hope that I actually use it this time? LoL

Sorry this is so stinkin long!!
Its Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 258/starting over again/148

Height: 5'7"

i would sign up for the gym, my motivator is going and seeing the other people there.

just last week after having a rough session with my trainer a woman stopped me in the parking lot and told me she used to be my size and that it took her over a year to get in the shape she was (about a size 8). she said it only gets easier from this point on. which is true. having that moment in the parking lot with her ment alot. i see her every morning and she always gives me advise on how to push myself just that extra bit.
amandapaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #3  
Samantha417

I'd totally sign up for the gym! I dont have the money to buy a gym membership so I'm stuck with DVD's and the good 'ole road when I'm back home. It's great motivation when you have a friend to go with, and once you get a routine going for more than a week, it's easier to stick to that routine!
Old 02-19-2010, 05:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

Height: 5'6"

What does the gym have that the one in your apartment doesn't? Would you take classes, does it have more variety? Would you feel more apt to go because you are paying the money and don't want to waste it? I would weigh the pros of the the gym vs. the convenience of your apartment building. Which is more valuable to you?
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #5  
Samantha417

actually i missed your part about the apartment...Save the money! The gym may be smaller than Gold's but it's just as good...it gets your work out in.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/142.6/132

Height: 5'6"

Yes, you can be motivated to go the gym in your apartment! I used to have the same problem. I had access to THREE free gyms between my apartment and workplace and didn't use any of them for 20 months. One of them was literally under my apartment and I was too lazy to walk down one flight of stairs and use it. When I finally started going I got 16 months of use out of them until I moved but I was kicking myself for having wasted the opportunity and gaining weight! Now I pay $57/month for the gym where I have to drive to and am trying my best to get my money's worth. If you are going to utilize the classes at Golds and your roommate is going to go with you, then it maybe a good reason to join.
orthodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #7  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

My advice would be to work out REGULARLY in your apartment gym for say 3-5 months. If you keep up with that and want to go to Gold's THEN spend the money. I am in a similar situation.... a few months ago I cancelled my gym membership because I never went and now I wish I hadn't because I will be having more free time come up.

Now the question is WHICH gym to join. I have a treadmill at home, but nothing else.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I think it just depends on you.
Are you going to actually use your apartment gym or would having the motivation of the fees behind you get your butt working out? Or is making it to Gold's a hassle, and you'd rather just meander downstairs in your apartment?

That being said, if you decide to go to Gold's, I'd get it with the tanning booth option. Then, tell yourself that you're only allowed to tan IF you get a work-out in beforehand. If you're serious about tanning, then being in the gym area should be a little bit more motivation.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #9  
Giving no Ground

S/C/G: 245/217/135

Height: 5'5"

I'm a member of two gyms... and I really hate tanning the more pasty and white I am the better I like it LOL!

In the interest of saving money I would just go to the tanning salon and go to the apt gym. Maybe your new room mate could join you at the apt gym once a week or something? That might help motivation wise.

However I know that sometimes it's better for me mentally to go to a big gym to be motivated. I guess it depends on what motivates you and how motivated you are...
Skullarix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

I'd just do the tanning, use your gym at your apartment! Then if you don't go to the gym, you aren't loosing money.
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #11  
Not so starving student

S/C/G: 152.3/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Tanning beds are dangerous! You could get skin cancer! I've never done any kind of tanning, but if I did, i would get a spray tan. Personally, I figure I'm pale, and that's the way I'm supposed to be!

In addition to being pale, I'm cheap. You could buy self-tanner from the store and use the gym at your apartment AND save lots of money!
rosekeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:27 PM   #12  

I think you should use the gym in your building and skip the tanning. Tanning is SOOO bad for you!! My family has a history of skin cancer so I use sunblock EVERY TIME I walk out the door and I'd never even consider using a tanning bed. Get self tanner at the store or spend the money on a spray tan instead.
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:07 PM   #13  
Losing weight - Toning up

S/C/G: 159/128/120

if i were you, I would go to apt gym and skip the tanning part.
Annita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #14  
improving life!

definitely go for the gym at your apartment. i use my apartment gym and i love how close it is. i know if i had to drive to a gym i would go less often. (you'll save on gas too!)

luckily my apartment has free tanning too

Last edited by pinkalarmclock; 02-21-2010 at 06:34 PM.
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote