Old 02-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #1  
Proud Grandmother!

S/C/G: 330/262/170

Height: 5'7"

Default A note of encouragement to those considering medifast.

I'd given up. I was defeated by my weight and had accepted that I would one day die due to it.

Then last year I changed careers and had to do a great deal of walking and I changed my eating habits. I lost 40 lbs over the year with calorie counting. I was thrilled. Maybe there was hope?

Then I began to slowly gain it back.

I thought, considered, prayed and looked at myself long and hard. I needed a plan that would be easy for me to fix (I team drive a semi with my husband). I couldn't prepare elaborate low cal meals all the time.

I also needed something structured so that I could follow the rules easily. I need clear set rules. It's just a thing with me.

I also needed time to learn a new way of eating.

I began medifast on Jan. 13 2010 and I've lost 22 lbs.

I now have less than 100 lbs to lose. This is a goal I never thought I would ever see in my life.

I can do this. You can too.

So far in the last 13 months I've lost 62 lbs. I had 160 lbs to lose......that's a person. I call her Mabel. I now have only 98 lbs to lose.

One third of the weight I've lost was lost in the ONE month I've been on medifast. I recommend this to anyone considering it especially if you're at the hopeless point.

I CAN do this.

YOU can do this.
TXNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Just to chime in- why do your low calorie meals have to be elaborate? I prepare healthy and yummy meals that take me no time at all

Make sure you have a plan set in motion for when you get OFF the program. My friend's gained back 1/3 of the weight already from nutrisystem cuz she still hasn't figured out how to eat right on her own.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #3  
Proud Grandmother!

Nutrisystem is not Medifast. Part of the Medifast program is maintenance. I'm sorry your friend had a bad experience on a totally different program.

As to your comment about low calorie meals. As I stated....I team drive a semi (18 wheeler). This means I live in an extremely limited space. Any meal is elaborate to prepare.

I understand that you don't do this program, that your friend had a bad experience on a different program....but please keep in mind that this thread was an ENCOURAGING thread about MEDIFAST not nutrisystem. It was also about my experience.

Thanks.

Last edited by TXNana; 02-14-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 223.8/TIcker/125

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
Just to chime in- why do your low calorie meals have to be elaborate? I prepare healthy and yummy meals that take me no time at all

Make sure you have a plan set in motion for when you get OFF the program. My friend's gained back 1/3 of the weight already from nutrisystem cuz she still hasn't figured out how to eat right on her own.
First of all, beerab, I'd like to compliment you on your excellent taste in avatars.

Totally agree about the lo-cal meals. I grill some fish or chicken in my trusty George Foreman grill at the same time I put together a lovely salad or steam some veggies, and I'm good to go. Meal prep was way more complicated for me when I was eating UNhealthily. Of course, about 90% of the time, I'd decide that I didn't want to bother cooking and end up ordering take-out.
Margalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 223.8/TIcker/125

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNana View Post

As to your comment about low calorie meals. As I stated....I team drive a semi (18 wheeler). This means I live in an extremely limited space. Any meal is elaborate to prepare.
Somehow missed that bit too. Yes, I can see how this would make things way more complicated.

By the way, I think it's awesome how far you've come! Congratulations!

Last edited by Margalo; 02-14-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Margalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I see how that can make meals harder to prepare- if you have a fridge in your space one thing is when you get home and are about to go out on the road you can pack it full of already cooked meats and veggies and stuff so all you need to do it pull it out and heat it. I have no idea how often your journeys are but if that's feasible it really does help. I cook up a lot of my stuff on the weekends and just pop it in the microwave at work My husband's father used to be a truck driver and would pack his mini fridge with food to eat and microwave most meals.

Not trying to start an argument or offend anyone but Nutrisystem also has a maintenance phase. I'm just trying to point out that while these plans are great and you DO lose weight you have to figure out how to eat to maintain after you are done with the program.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #7  

Height: 5'5.5"

TXNana - Thanks so much for your post. I LOVE medifast too. I'm 2.5 months in and I am so happy with my weight loss and how I am NOT hungry throughout the day. I am planning on doing the medifast transition program and maintenance plan.

Congratulations on your success. 22 lb in 1 month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNana View Post
I had 160 lbs to lose......that's a person. I call her Mabel.
This is too funny.
LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:18 PM   #8  
Proud Grandmother!

Liz and Kat.......what great encouragers you two are!

Congrats to both of you.

Kat I love your saying "I'm in it to win it".
Old 02-14-2010, 11:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 155/98.2/100

Height: 4'10.5"

Congratulations! That is an awesome first month! 22 lbs!!

Let me chime in with my encouragement too! I am 10 weeks in and down 26 lbs so far.

I am so happy with my decision to do Medifast, I was never able to successfully lose weight by counting fat and calories in the past. The scale wouldn't budge, I'd be hungry constantly, and I would overeat every time I went to a restaurant.

The program gives you no reason not to succeed. The meals are so convenient - I never have to opportunity to "slip" accidentally, I always have a crunch bar or a pack of pretzels in my purse so I never miss a meal. Eating out? I have yet to meet a restaurant where I couldn't find a Lean & Green.

Is Medifast the answer for everyone? No. I don't think there's any one "best" solution for everyone. We're all too different, we all face unique challenges when trying to lose weight. Medifast works for me because it's convenient, it's tasty, I'm rarely hungry, and I have consistent, significant weight loss - week after week.

Maintenance is going to be a challenge for me - I wouldn't be here if I had ever done it successfully. But I know my MF coach will be there with me through transition and for a year into maintenance and I'm hoping that will make all the difference.

Last edited by chickapea; 02-15-2010 at 12:06 AM.
chickapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:38 AM   #10  

TXNANA!!! Congratulations on your loss!! That is terrific!!!
Medifast is a great plan and it works. It is the only plan that has worked for me..If other plans work for other people, that is great. We all need to do what works best for us. I was not losing on WW and it was frustrating. I had considered Optifast and when I googled Oprtifast in order to find a provider, Medifast came up. I did some research on it and read the studies from Johns Hopkins and I was sold on it. I ordered my 4 week supply and never looked back.
I have a health coach and I bounce questions and things off her. A health coach can be helpful and they are free of charge. Some are good and some, well, not so good. If you get one, try to find one that you are comfortable with.
There is a transition and maintenance plan and despite what some people say, there is a plan to help with maintaining. No matter what plan we do, if we go bad to bad old ways, we will gain.

Medifast works for me and I love it. Its not for everyone but its a plan for me. I Wish you all the success and if you do the plan as written, you will have some great losses!!!
ariesgirl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #11  

Height: 5'6

thank you so much for sharing!!! I know this plan is perfect for me, with two boys under two years old, and normally not wanting to eat or make myself a meal (as much as I would want to) this plan is perfect for me! I just started today and I am SOO excited! Thank you again for sharing how well you have done so far! Keep up the good work and ignore the naysayers... we know this has the medical proof to back it up!
JennLin is offline   Reply With Quote